We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Now Now Amber Puerto Vallarta vs Dreams Villamagna Nu

Monterrey, Mexico
Level Contributor
16 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Now Now Amber Puerto Vallarta vs Dreams Villamagna Nu

Hello,

We are going to Puerto Vallarta for Christmas this 2014. We narrowed it down to Now Amber and Dreams Villamagna (since Dreams PV where we stayed is now closed and sold to Hyatt). We have a 4 year old boy and a 7 year old girl. We are specially interested on food quality, the Kids Club facilities and a nice not so croweded beach. Which is better for a family holiday? We have read mixed reviews about both resorts. If you can share your experiences regarding those topics we would really appreciate your help. Thanks!!

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Now Now Amber Puerto Vallarta vs Dreams Villamagna Nu

It depends on where you want to be. Since you've been to PV before you know where Dreams PV is. NA is in the hotel zone, so in town a short bus or taxi ride to the malecon. DVM is about a 45min. bus or taxi ride into town.

We did not like NA only because it was way too modern and felt like a concrete slab with a high rise hotel and a not so great beach. The rooms are great though and if you like modern, then you would like it. The kids club is about the same at both with them having the Explorer kids club.

If you want a much better beach and are planning on spending more time at the resort then I would go with the DVM. We like both, but just matters what we are doing on that particular trip.

If you are in Nuevo at the DVM you can go to Bucerias easily and I find the shopping cheaper and the rooms bigger and of course the beach.

Whichever one you do go to you can take advantage of the exchange privilege of going to the other for an a la carte (arranged by the concierge the day before at your hotel). You must get your own transportation between the two though.

Either way I'm sure you will enjoy your trip:)

Monterrey, Mexico
Level Contributor
16 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Now Now Amber Puerto Vallarta vs Dreams Villamagna Nu

Thanks a lot maried11. I really appreciate your help! I look forward to more opinions to decide. Thanks again!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,939 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Now Now Amber Puerto Vallarta vs Dreams Villamagna Nu

We haven't stayed at either but have stayed in numerous hotels close to Now Amber and also stayed in Nuevo, and the beaches are definitely different.

Since you live in Mexico, you might have different goals for your family vacation from tourists coming from other countries? The reason I mention that is that Now Amber is quite close to Centro and tons of shops and restaurants, whereas Dreams VM is into the next state (Nayarit) and more focused on the beach and a larger resort. Fewer options for shopping and eating outside the resort and wandering and cultural opportunities.

What does your family want to do? What would make it a perfect vacation for all of you (I love that time of year in PV)??

I feel for you as the first place I stayed in PV (1983) was the old Camino Real which became Dreams. Neither of the places you mention are a match for that as far as the history and culture and the cove beach south of town, in my opinion. Hard to compare.

Can you zero in a bit on what type of experience you and your family want and then maybe we can help you more. There are so many more options.

I watched Now Amber being built in 2011 (staying at Canto del Sol --- immediately north --- for two weeks as they were finishing it) so I'm curious as to how those two popped up. Now Amber is way too modern for me. Any other possibilities? You did say food quality, so that likely means you want to do AI (having been at Dreams) but how about Canto del Sol or maybe Villa del Palmar or some other places up along the Hotel Zone area near Now Amber? You won't get the lovely cove beach, such as at Dreams, but there are a few places with good kid's clubs.

How about Melia? We stayed there without kids but families with kids that age LOVE it. I've never heard a bad review from the people I met while we were staying there, or ever. Most people posting her give it great reviews, for kids of that age.

Have a great time --- and I hope you have some additional options. Those two are so different from each other. Something in between might work?

Edited: 20 May 2014, 06:43
Monterrey, Mexico
Level Contributor
16 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Now Now Amber Puerto Vallarta vs Dreams Villamagna Nu

Thank you MarlySF! As you said, since we live in Mexico we are not that interested in shops and restaurants. Since we are travelling with our two kids we find the All inclusive plan is more convenient. We are looking for a top notch Kids Club, food variety and a nice and not so crowded beach. The other option is Velas Vallarta at the Marina. Thanks for your help!

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta
Level Contributor
8,813 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Now Now Amber Puerto Vallarta vs Dreams Villamagna Nu

I'm at Dreams VM now for the 7th time. The beach in Nuevo is huge as you can walk for miles. Smooth flat sand with no rocks in the water. There are 3 large pools too. The rooms are all junior suites with either a tropical or ocean view. Kids club gets lots of high marks. Food and service are outstanding.

Monterrey, Mexico
Level Contributor
16 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Now Now Amber Puerto Vallarta vs Dreams Villamagna Nu

Thanks a lot senorbobo! I think Dreams VM sounds good!

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Now Now Amber Puerto Vallarta vs Dreams Villamagna Nu

I'm positive that Dreams PV, or what ever they may re-name it will be open and running a long time before the next season.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,978 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Now Now Amber Puerto Vallarta vs Dreams Villamagna Nu

They've already noted a soft re-opening timeframe of November for the new Hyatt Ziva (which I suspect is a moveable date of course depending on renovations), so I would be very surprised if they were still closed for the busy and profitable Christmas season.

Edited: 20 May 2014, 16:34
Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Now Now Amber Puerto Vallarta vs Dreams Villamagna Nu

DVM is great and with kids, you will find the rooms much bigger than DPV and the pools are huge (not like the small ones at DPV). That is a big factor for me since they like to be in there most of the time. All 3 resorts had the same explorer club (of course DPV will no longer have it and no one knows what their club will be like now).

Good luck in choosing and enjoy your trip:) You're like me, if the kids are happy, then that makes for a great vacation!

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Now Now Amber Puerto Vallarta vs Dreams Villamagna Nu

According to my lady friend who worked at Dreams PV, nearly all the original staff will be at the newly named resort.