We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jellyfish

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chilliwack, Canada
Level Contributor
42 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Jellyfish

I am reading current reviews about trips to Las Caletas and Marietas Islands and complaints of lots of jellyfish. I am arriving in two weeks and really wanted to book both of these trips. Any advice?

Poland, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jellyfish

jellies come and go---unpredictable---book your trips

Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
236 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jellyfish

Wear a long sleeve rash guard enjoy

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jellyfish

"current reviews" really? check the dates!

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,984 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jellyfish

Sylvie just got stung a bunch of times on her arms while swimming from Conchas Chinas to Los Muertos a couple of days ago. In fact she had to get out 1/2 way there and walk back. She has lots of welts on both of her arms. 😕. She said it felt like she was swimming through an electric fence.

Also: Brenda recommends a good protection lotion that can be ordered on the Internet. I can't remember the name of it though.

Chilliwack, Canada
Level Contributor
42 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jellyfish

Yes, current. check this site for the reviews on Las Caletas and Marietas.

Shawnigan Lake...
Level Contributor
5,443 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jellyfish

Marietas has two reviews and Las Caletas has one recent review commenting about jellyfish? I personally thought one or two of the reviews were a *little* over the top.

No one can predict when these little guys are going to be around.....you go into their living area you might get a stinging embrace.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,984 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jellyfish

The science of Sea Lice (not quite jellyfish but larvae). abcnews.go.com/Technology/story?id=98540

Thought I would post this just for info. Even though it's written several years ago, it's quite informative.

Edited: 26 May 2014, 03:48
Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
14,921 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jellyfish

The way it's been with the jellyfish when we were there in March and again now, you would think a beach vendor could make a tidy bundle if they sold the lotion!

Does anybody know if you can get the jellyfish sting prevention lotion anywhere at all in PV? I've got a lot of people coming in....and they want to swim.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,984 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jellyfish

Great idea Kansas. Make sure if they swim, to have them rinse off immediately when they get out of the water.

Playa Los Arcos has those rinsing areas right up by the jacuzzi where they can rinse it all out. The tricky part is these sea lice like to hide or "be in" the seams of your swimsuit. Like... where the suit touches and surrounds your legs at the upper thigh areas etc. And you would want to rinse other areas of your suit as well. It would be best if you can lift those swimsuit seam areas and let the water run through to flush them out. Since you can't really see them, and you are out in a public place rinsing yourself off, that's kind of tricky to do! Lol

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
14,921 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jellyfish

From the descriptions, I don't think there will be a problem with getting people to head for any available fresh water LOL. :-) Wonder if they like Chlorine?