We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food and Water in PV

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle
4 posts
Save Topic
Food and Water in PV

How careful do we need to be with food and water in PV to avoid getting sick?

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Food and Water in PV

just stay away from the buffets.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
5,168 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Food and Water in PV

Good answer JR! Maybe that's why I have never been sick, I have never eaten at a buffet yet!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,215 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Food and Water in PV

About as careful as you would be at home. Food or water borne illness is just as common in the US/Canada as in PV - in some cases and some places even moreso.

I'll second the recommendation to be careful of buffets. Tropical climate+open air buffet lines+sporadic turnover or replacement of dishes = potential for stomach trouble. The only time I've ever been truly down for the count sick in PV was from a buffet at a 5 star resort.

Just take it easy with the alcohol and the spicy stuff for the first few days, and remember to stay hydrated with lots of water. They tend to not use as many pre-manufactured ingredients in Mexican cooking as we're used to north of the border, which if you're used to that, takes some adjustment too. Which is why I say take it slow and easy.

SoCal
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Food and Water in PV

"Just take it easy with the alcohol and the spicy stuff for the first few days"

Good advise, unless one already lives on spicy food and alcohol, you would probably find me in a coma if I followed it. LOL

In ten trips we have eaten all over PV (not buffets though), and drink the water, with no problema.

Seattle
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Food and Water in PV

Thank you everybody, I appreciate the guidance.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Food and Water in PV

seattle123 - according to our travel rep at the Royal Decameron, the hotel was supposed to have used filtered water to clean the fruits and vegetables (raw and cooked). likewise, the water served at all of the restaurants in the complex was supposed to have been filtered and purified, too. neither my wife nor i suffered any ill effects from drinking the water served or eating the cooked veggies. we tended to stay away from the raw veggies just to be certain.

we were told NOT to drink the tap water.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,215 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Food and Water in PV

"we were told NOT to drink the tap water."

That does apply for the area the RDC is in, because it's outside PV proper and closer to Bucerias.

Vallarta itself has an award winning water purification system (SEAPAL), and most of the hotels also have their own internal purification systems as well. I've drank the tap water in PV before and never been ill from it.

SoCal
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Food and Water in PV

The Royal Decameron is not even in the same state as Puerto Vallarta, it is north in Nayarit, PV is in the state of Jalisco.

silverspring
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Food and Water in PV

I didn't even think about this until reading this stream of posts, but should we be more cautious about water, using bottled to brush teeth, etc. if we are staying in a private villa rather than a large hotel? More so if we are in Bucerias? How about Conchas Chinas? I am assuming the villa we would be in would be a very nice one and it looks like more apt to be in a newer development so I'd been thinking would have good systems.

I don't drink tap water anywhere ... not worrying about it, just don't like it and live on bottled water all the time. ... but would have been preparing food and had been thinking water would be fine for washing vegetables at our place. (I will check specifically once we choose a spot, I just figured I'd ask folks here if it helps steer me in right direction). thanks!

United States
Level Contributor
1,049 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Food and Water in PV

We rent a villa in Bucerias for the winter. We don't drink the tap water but do use it to brush our teeth. The villa owner has bottled water delivered and we use this to wash vegetables/fruits and to fill the ice cube trays. We do eat 90% of our dinners and breakfasts out at the restaurants in town but occasionally cook a pasta meal and for that we use the tap water. This will be our third winter in Bucerias and we have never had even the slightest hint of illness and we are probably not as careful as many people.