We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Candy Shops

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Oregon
Level Contributor
2,590 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Candy Shops

We've read here several times about candy shops. We did find one, near the large flea market, one block north, and a block towards the beach, run by a wonderfully friendly fellow, Nice shop, we bought several different nuts, and some really good dried (and candied) pineapple. Wondering if that is the one that is often talked about.

We stayed in Romantica, and have booked there again for next May, and most certainly do not mind the walk, but just wondering.....

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
25,939 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Candy Shops

It's possible, there are a handful of dulcerias in el centro, some not far from each other. In fact if you get a hankering next trip to stroll along Juarez or Morelos, I think I've run across 2 or 3 for sure in addition to the one people usually discuss.

In addition to a lot of other neat little places. If you don't get high centered at Sea Monkey next time, a leisurely walk through el centro is a neat way to discover the city. And then you can get high centered at Cheeky Monkey on the Malecon...same difference. (-;

Edited: 13 June 2014, 23:20
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
7,295 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Candy Shops

Well, you should definitely check out Xocodiva - amazing chocolates (not cheap). I believe there is a candy shop in that same block on Basillo Badillo - at least there used to be a guy stirring a big copper pot of caramel when we'd walk by. Not absolutely sure it's still there though.

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
14,595 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Candy Shops

Yes the newer satelite candy shop is still on Basilio Badillo, it's just closed for low season. There is also a shop on the north side of the bridge over the Rio Cuale...not all that far from Sea Monkey. :-)

The candy stores are pretty much all the same really, it's just that the large Azteca store at Mina and Juarez got all the looks in the family of candy stores. It's a good place for photos.

Blaine, Minnesota...
Level Contributor
308 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Candy Shops

Yeah, let us know if anyone has the name of the famous candy shop I've heard people talk about. The most visually appealing one. I'm bringing guests who I want to impress. They believe they are going to get kidnapped and have their heads lopped off while visiting mexico. First timers. It'll be a blast!

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
14,595 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Candy Shops

It's Azteca at Juarez and Mina, on the downtown map. Also, the owner looks like a younger Patrick Swayze, but he doesn't know who PS is. :-)

vallartainfo.com/vallarta-southside-map.html

Seattle
Level Contributor
41,866 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Candy Shops

The one I like the very best is the one Kansas posted above, at the corner of Juarez at Mina in Centro. (Juarez 449 is the exact address). I think Azteca Dulces Tipicos Mexicanos is the full name of the store.

LoganG, I'm not sure there's anything so "visually appealing" or "impressive" about it though. It's just a candy store, used by both locals and tourists alike.

suze

Edited: 14 June 2014, 00:16
Oregon
Level Contributor
8,742 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Candy Shops

The candy store Kansas mentioned is my favorite too. Make sure to take your camera. Oh! The colors of the candy and nuts, and so much of it! It's very clean, colorful, and visually appealing imo. Plus, they are so friendly and give you free samples as well as stick extra candy in your bag! I spend over 50usd every time I go and bring home tons to my co-workers. They love it.

They also have TOMY candies which I love. Those are given to you after you eat at Cafe de Olla. Yum! (Yes, we get a big bag of those too!)

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,257 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Candy Shops

Logan G, tell your guests that all the best head-lopping kidnappers hang out at the candy stores. JUST KIDDING!!! I too am an Azteca shopper, as I'm addicted to dulce de leche candy, which is a soft kind of sugary caramel candy with pecans on top. The Azteca location described above has had the best price on it of 4 stores I've been to, including one about a block east of the downtown plaza and the one mentioned on Basilio Badillo. The one noted just north of the pedestrian bridge on the malecon was the most expensive for the candy I buy. I can't speak to other candies.

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
14,595 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Candy Shops

"I'm addicted to the dulce de leche candy, which is a soft kind of sugary caramel candy with pecans on top."

Deb that's the candy we put in the wedding baskets, and they packaged it (Patrick saw to it himself) a couple different ways for us at both stores...real cute.

toronto
Level Contributor
275 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Candy Shops

Logan G, your guests sound kinda like my husband hahahaha! Last year, out on a whim, I told him "let's go to Mexico!" and he thought I was NUTS. He relaxed when I told him about Cozumel and Tulum and a couple other places...and showed pics in TA. We still haven't made it, but he is excited about PV. Plans are in the works for March. I would also like some info on candy and other goodies (especially spices and such)!

Edited: 14 June 2014, 10:49