We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation with lap pool and liberal guest policy?

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
42 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Accommodation with lap pool and liberal guest policy?

For my trip to Puerto Vallarta during New Years, I am looking for accommodations that have a nice, decent size (lap) pool and a liberal guest policy (overnight). Does this exist in PV?

So far, I have only found mega resorts with huge pools but with a no-guests whatsoever policy, OR condos or inns that have tiny or no pools, but allowing overnight guests.

What gives??

Edited: 16 June 2014, 04:37
Blaine, Minnesota...
Level Contributor
308 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accommodation with lap pool and liberal guest policy?

You got a budget? There are definitely nice condos with big pools who are OK with guests.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
42 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accommodation with lap pool and liberal guest policy?

Budget is $200 max per night.

I did check PVRPV for condos, but they all require a 7 night minimum (I stay 5 nights only).

Edited: 16 June 2014, 04:49
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
25,779 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Accommodation with lap pool and liberal guest policy?

New Years is high season holiday period so you will be very hard pressed to find condos willing to rent for less than 7 days, if any at all.

Resorts will, but have pretty strict rules for guests.

Something in your list may have to give, be it guests or how long you stay.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
14,733 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accommodation with lap pool and liberal guest policy?

Could you give us some insight (more specifics) on where you are looking. With a few examples, you might get some more help.

The resorts I've stayed in recently generally (not all, but some) do allow guests but just for the day, with a Guest Pass. Also, you probably know that some of the resort pools tend to "meander" and aren't really set up for laps.

Good luck on this. The combination of the two (laps and overnight guests) could be a challenge. Any way your guest could check in with you? Also, I just stayed for two weeks and my "partner" (boyfriend of almost 20 years who I called my husband on check-in) didn't come for 3 days after. He was instantly welcomed, as if he'd been there all along. He had to work, so that was the deal.

There could be places you could try something like that. I wouldn't recommend where we did that though as it was the Sheraton and the pools are nice but about the furthest thing from "lap pools." Large but all over the place.

If you can tell us some of the options you've found, people might get some ideas to help.

Good luck. (Also, as you probably know, the other "challenge" is the busy time of year -- New Years).

Edited: 16 June 2014, 05:49
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
42 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accommodation with lap pool and liberal guest policy?

I am looking at the south hotel zone (Holiday Inn, Hilton, Sheraton, etc.) and the romantic zone (Blue Chairs, Mercurio, Casa Cupula, etc.).

Edited: 16 June 2014, 14:17
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
25,779 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Accommodation with lap pool and liberal guest policy?

Hilton is in North hotel zone, close to the maritime terminal.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
7,108 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Accommodation with lap pool and liberal guest policy?

I think a number of places that don't allow overnight visitors are actually not homophobic (some may be) but are actually interested in your safety and security. Not sure if this applies to you or not but there are a number of gay specific questions on the Forum at the moment so the "guest policy" question brought this topic to mind. I can't tell you how many PV visitors I've know over the years who woke up missing their wallets and jewelry. Some of the locals are quite adept at supplementing their income with light fingers. Be careful if you bring someone back to your place from a bar or club. If your accommodation offers a safe or safety deposit box - use it. If your tourist card or passport disappear along with your other valuables it is a huge hassle.

Branford...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
6,870 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Accommodation with lap pool and liberal guest policy?

The Holiday Inn, Hilton and Sheraton are all located north of downtown; the Sheraton being the closest south and has one of the largest pools in the area. You could possibly do laps on the shorter side of the pool in the deep end, but the longest width of the pool is very shallow half way through. Further north in the marina area the Marriott Casa Magna also has a large free form pool that you could do laps in depending on how crowded the pool is. The Holiday Inn pool with swimpup bar wouldn't be an option and the Hilton is too new for me to comment on; in general, hotels in the romantic zone or the southside have smaller pools if your just looking to cool off.

Blaine, Minnesota...
Level Contributor
308 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Accommodation with lap pool and liberal guest policy?

If you bend on the area then peninsula condos have a huge pool, a lap pool, hot tub, gym all that jazz. Plus ive had guests without issue. Great beach as well but as you know its not in the south side. I love staying in the hotel zone. I walk to downtown or marina each day which I enjoy but a taxi is like 7 minutes and a few bucks. Not like its hard to get downtown.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
14,733 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Accommodation with lap pool and liberal guest policy?

The Peninsula condos are in between the Holiday Inn and the Hilton. If they have a lap pool and no guest issue, sounds like a good option.

Having just returned from a week at the Sheraton (mentioned above), I wouldn't recommend doing laps in either of the two large pools as they ramble and meander in different directions throughout the complex. There are plenty of guests who would get in your way, unless you were doing laps in the morning. When we were there, we walked the grounds every morning and, even after pool opening hours, it was guiet then. No real "lap" pool though.

At the Sheraton, it was definitely a security/safety issue. Also, I didn't see any gay couples (mostly nationals) but probably due to time of year. I've stayed there in mid-November though.

Logan's good advice wouldn't have you bending on an area you mentioned (Hotel Zone) since it's smack in the middle of some of the places you are considering. It's VERY easy to get downtown. Recently, we've stayed at the Krystal (attached to the Hilton), Villa del Palmar (next door to the Holiday Inn) and the Sheraton, for a week to two weeks each. If you can get a condo at the Peninsula, might be an option, based on where you are looking.

The southside hotels you mention are in a different area of town, south of Centro, but the area would be easy (fast, cheap) to get there from the Peninsula. 7.5 pesos for a bus. 80 pesos for a cab.

Good luck!

Edited: 16 June 2014, 17:16