We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Villa del Palmar vs Villa Premier, or other?

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco
Level Contributor
813 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Villa del Palmar vs Villa Premier, or other?

Hi folks, I'm helping MIL plan a trip to the PV area for this fall (most likely October). She'll be traveling with her partner and they have booked a 4 night stay at Hard Rock in Nuevo Vallarta and want to have 2 or 3 nights downtown PV before their Hard Rock stay. They haven't visited downtown PV before so ideally they'd like to be in a central location so they can expertise the culture and dining options available downtown. Their budget is about $100-$150 a night non-AI. I'm thinking Villa Premier or Villa del Palmar and would like to hear opinions on both, and whether there are other good options I should look at. They are not very adventurous or well traveled so ideally I'm trying to find something safe, pleasant, clean, convenient and with great service and decent amenities. Also a walk to good restaurants. Any tips would be appreciated!

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
201 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Villa del Palmar vs Villa Premier, or other?

Earlier on this forum it has been said that Villa Del Palmar in P/V will be closed for

upgrades till sometime in Oct,and they may want to change some to sister Resort

Flamingos.It is about 45 minutes north of P/V..Advise to check before booking..

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
7,114 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Villa del Palmar vs Villa Premier, or other?

Playa Los Arcos and Vallarta Sun are both in the heart of things in the Zona Romantica. Easy walking to many restaurants and bars.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
813 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Villa del Palmar vs Villa Premier, or other?

Thanks bill, that makes sense, as I see you can't book until Oct 19, which is their arrival date. Knowing how things work in Mexico I imagine there is a good chance they may end up at Flamingos if they did book for a 10/19 arrival. Flamingos looks great so it wouldn't be the worst thing, but I do think they'd enjoy downtown PV.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
813 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Villa del Palmar vs Villa Premier, or other?

Fred, great, I will check those out too. Thanks!

Seattle
Level Contributor
41,298 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Villa del Palmar vs Villa Premier, or other?

Between the first two you mention Villa Premier definitely wins. It's a much nicer hotel and right in downtown. VdP is out in the Hotel Zone so not the location you say they want.

That said, in the $100-150 range I'd recommend places like: Hotel Eloisa, Hotel Rosita, El Pescador, Vallarta Sun, Hotel Playa Los Arcos or The Tropicana as my best picks for more central location and Mexican style.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
813 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Villa del Palmar vs Villa Premier, or other?

Thanks Suze, I see a rate of $157 at Villa Premier so they can swing that. Sounds like that would be a good choice?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
14,733 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Villa del Palmar vs Villa Premier, or other?

Agree with suze, on Villa Premiere.

Even though I've stayed at Villa del Palmar numerous times (and just got back from Villa del Palmar Flamingos at the north end of Nuevo, which is lovely but even more north of Hard Rock), there is too much uncertainty regarding what is going on at Villa del Palmar in town. In other words, they appeared to be behind schedule in the demotion and construction (based on the timeframe we owners were told by our Club), when I left 3 weeks ago. October there might be too iffy.

Also, Villa Premiere is in an ideal location to walk to numerous nearby restaurants/shops and to the Malecón. Based on your criteria and their needs, it would probably be a winner for them. Hard to go wrong there. Playa Los Arcos, as mentioned above, is also a very good option.

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
14,360 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Villa del Palmar vs Villa Premier, or other?

Other than Villa Premiere, those mentioned are simple places and not on a par with Hard Rock, but it's different in town and you're not going to stay the same way as you do farther out, because everything is older. So, as long as they can accept that and understand they aren't fancy, it really is the best town experience they can have.

All those mentioned so far are quite different from each other in one way or another. Vallarta Sun and Hotel Eloisa probably have the least "services", but Vallarta Sun has a wonderful reputation, is clean, and has some convenient amenities in the rooms, like microwaves and refrigerators, and a pool.

People who have booked at Hotel Eloisa and reserve one of the nicer rooms, say they later get a notice from them saying they can't give them that room. So they end up changing hotels.

Playa Los Arcos and Tropicana will have more since they have a restaurant, massages, and things of that nature, and they're right on the beach.

Those above are all on the south side and that's a very safe area, where they can walk out the door and explore and feel comfortable doing so. That area also has the most restaurants and it's a favorite area of many people, yet it's close enough to easily take a walk on the Malecon.

I would normally suggest a condo in town, but it's hard to rent those for just a few nights, but it depends...if it's during the first 3 weeks in October, it might be possible. A condo is the best way to get some luxury in town.

Hotel Rosita is on the other side of downtown not far from Villa Premiere. If I had a choice between Hotel Rosita and Playa Los Arcos pricewise, I would choose Playa Los Arcos for location, a better beach, and the rooms are nicer at PLA.

The first question you need to answer is if Villa Premiere will be in their price range.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
813 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Villa del Palmar vs Villa Premier, or other?

MarlySF and KansasPVgal- thank you. Villa Premiers in the price range at $157 a night so that sounds like an excellent option for them. If they decide they want to spend less than I'll look into these other options. The south side sounds like the best place to be, I think they will love it.

Edited: 30 June 2014, 17:22
Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
14,360 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Villa del Palmar vs Villa Premier, or other?

Just to clarify, Villa Premiere isn't on the South Side, it's in what is known as North Downtown. There isn't anything wrong with this area, it's just not as popular, and the most talked about restaurants are instead on the South Side.

The walk from VP to the South Side is going to take 30 minutes approximately. if it's hot, it can be a miserable walk. October can be very hot. Sometimes it breaks mid October, but last year it broke at the end of November. I'm just trying to be honest so you can make the best decision possible. If you choose VP, I'm sure it's closer to what you're looking for in terms of services and rooms.

You'll find the map of North Downtown on this link. These maps run N to S so if you go to the "move down" at the bottom of the map, the next map is Downtown, then another "move down", brings you to the South Side. These maps will give you a good idea of how PV is layed out. And naturally you can "move up" on the maps to head north.

http://vallartainfo.com/n_downtown.html

Edited: 30 June 2014, 17:36