We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rain in July

Cedarburg, Wisconsin
2 posts
Save Topic
Rain in July

My husband and I are leaving July 13th for our honeymoon to Puerto Vallarta...in my recent research (which, yes, should have been done before booking our trip) ALL I am reading is rain, rain, rain! I know you take a risk anywhere you go with weather, but we did buy trip insurance and I am so freaked I am contemplating canceling. We live in Wisconsin and had a terrible winter and not much of a summer so far. We are looking forward to HOT and sun. Has anyone been mid-July that has some insight??

Mentioned in this post
Wisconsin
Wisconsin
United States
Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
16,861 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rain in July

There are a ton of threads on this and I see you're new to the forum, so here's how to do a search on any subject....just to see what is there.

In the search box just above the forum topic questions, you can type in whatever you want to know in different ways and see a lot of older and recent threads.

I've not been in July, but have been mid to late June in past years. You'll get tan, and there can be rain every day for some period of time. Usually late afternoon, evening or during the night. The storms are pretty, and they cool things off for a little while. No matter what, you can plan on hot and humid.

We haven't had much summer either, but you'll definitely feel it's summer in PV. :-)

Highland IL
13 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Rain in July

We have been to PV every July since 2004. Returning on the 15th. I am always worried much more about the sun and burning than rain.

Go and enjoy yourself! The mountains are beautiful in the summer with all the clouds hanging in them. I think I'm looking at a postcard every time I look around the bay.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rain in July

Come and enjoy our "Warm" rain, nothing cold this time of year and the mountains have 50 Shades of Green :)

Seattle
Level Contributor
48,146 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rain in July

Welcome to the TA PV forum. You will be fine. It's not going to rain 24/7. You will have plenty of sunshine too. And yes probably some rain showers. It's still warm and beautiful and nothing to cancel a trip over!

suze

Delta, Canada
Level Contributor
3,767 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rain in July

We arrive on the 5th until the 19th and are really looking forward to it. 4th summertime/july trip. It is very different from high season. It can be very hot during the day. Stay hydrated and keep your head covered and you will have a blast.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
27,472 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Rain in July

I've been twice in July. There was always way more sun than rain...believe me, you'll be thankful for the rains that DO come to cool things down.

I wouldn't cancel. Unless there is a severe storm off the coast somewhere it would be a rarity for it to rain all day long. This is a very diverse geographic zone - it could be raining in the mountains and sunny at the beach. I've been told by locals that there can even be rain/sun merely blocks apart.

Just go and enjoy. You get to experience PV the way people who only go in the winter months never see...lush, green, blooming. It's wonderful. And when you do get those thunderstorms they are some of the best free entertainment in town, they are spectacular!

EDIT: Claymore also raises a very important point. Stay hydrated. And by that we don't mean beer and margaritas. You will need to consume a lot more water and supplement in the occasional electrolyte drink in summer than you do in winter because of the higher heat and humidity. A good rule of thumb most of the time is one bottle of water for every couple of drinks. If it's really warm in July, go 1:1 when you can. Your body will thank you. (-:

Edited: 03 July 2014, 17:09
Cedarburg, Wisconsin
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Rain in July

Thank you all for the comments, I feel A LOT better! We can't wait to get there

Vancouver, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Rain in July

These comments helped me too, needing to get away and booked trip without thinking of the weather, just assumed it'd be sunny/hot as always, but I've never gone in July. I was going to cancel after seeing the forecast for the next two weeks, but maybe not now. Please tell me there will be at least one or two days of sun, I'm travelling by myself and feel like it'll be 7 days of drinking in my hotel room watching rain. :)

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
27,472 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Rain in July

Please re-read post #8. (-:

Nobody on earth can give you a sun guarantee. That's up to Mother Nature alone. But most of us with July travel experience there have had plenty of sun.

The information above about geography is key.

Campbell River...
Level Contributor
555 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Rain in July

Kjersti, It looks like pretty decent weather on Los Muertos beach right now, as I just checked the CuatesyCuetes webcam. Of course that may change later this afternoon or evening but you should (as stated by other posters } have sun for part of everyday unless there's a storm off the coast. I've never been in July, too humid for me but would love to see the lightening displays along the bay. Have a great PV visit!