We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to PVR - headed to the 'southside'

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Aurora, Colorado
14 posts
Save Topic
First time to PVR - headed to the 'southside'

Howdy folks. First post in the PVR forum. My wife and I have done Cabo several times and wanted something different. We were very close to trying PDC but I convinced her the nightlife, based on the reviews I read, may be a bit more then we are interested in. Loud music and parties till 6am is not our thing.

Based on what I've been reading the 'southside' seems like an ideal place for us. We like the beach but not enough to be lured to the Caribbean side. Mostly like to mozy and check out local stuff, restaurants included. Drinks of course.

We booked 6 nights at the pinnacle, hopefully a good choice. The reviews seemed excellent from various sources. I'm open to to suggestions but to me it seems like a good balance of luxury while staying away from the big resorts.

How does Playa del Muertos work? I know it's a public beach, looking through pictures it appears La Palapa offers chairs and umbrellas for guests. Is it a type of place to lounge for several hours, order some drinks are etc? Is the beach lined with places like this? Or is more of a bring own towel and snacks kinda beach?

Can't wait for this trip, I'm sure I'll have lots more questions.

Thanks in advance

Dan

Seattle
Level Contributor
41,866 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time to PVR - headed to the 'southside'

You're got the right idea about Playa Los Muertos. It's a public beach, lined with beach bars/restaurants. You buy drinks/food and can lounge as long as you like. Yes the beach is lined with places like this (several dozen at least).

But if you don't want to do that, you can bring your own towel and snacks and just sit on the sand somewhere.

Either option is available.

Pinnacle is a new high-end building in a groodlocation (I've stayed at a condo next door the past 3 years). It's up on TOP of the hill overlooking the beach and Los Muertos/Olas Altas area.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time to PVR - headed to the 'southside'

Every place on Los Muertos Beach offers tables, chairs & umbrellas. Right in the middle of stores, restaurants and bars, you'll love it :)

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
14,595 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time to PVR - headed to the 'southside'

Ditto to all. Take your pick of places to sit. It's also a beach that locals use too, so it's nice to rub shoulders. La Palapa will be more high end and more expensive for drinks and lunch. It's nice, but if you decide you want to mix it up, there are many others places to sit. However, you may be able to reserve at La Palapa, so that you get front row on the beach.

I hope you'll give a report on the Pinnacle when you return!

When is your trip?

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
63 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time to PVR - headed to the 'southside'

If you feel like venturing slightly outside of PV I recommend Bucerias. A stroll through the market followed by a walk on the beach ending in guacamole, a bucket of cervezas and fish tacos with your toes in the sand. A quieter option than Playa De Los Muertos if you end up looking for one. Mismaloya Beach (south of PV) has similar options and vibe - my favourite beach in the entire world, worth the trip if you are the wandering type.

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
14,595 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time to PVR - headed to the 'southside'

Love, love, love Mismaloya beach! I also enjoy Boca de Tomatlan on a Sunday afternoon when all the families are there.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
7,295 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time to PVR - headed to the 'southside'

Playa Los Muertos is my "home" beach but there are many others to explore. Check the maps. But, Gemelas is a beauty, ditto the beach at Lindo Mar. You'll love the Pinnacle - gorgeous The steps up from Olas Altas can be a challenge, especially in the summer heat, but they'll send a golf cart for you if don't feel like the climb.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,742 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time to PVR - headed to the 'southside'

Hi nopantsdan,

I love PDC but I love PV more! I have to say PDC does not have parties till the wee hours. We couldn't stand that either, LOL. I figure Cancun is for that! We are making our second trip to PDC in March. Can't wait. Also visiting the small island called Isla Mujeres.

You will LOVE PV! Especially the history, old town, downtown, the bay, the mountains/jungle, the locals, restaurants, shopping. It's all there. It's exciting to walk the vibrant streets of PV. I just can't get enough of it. You picked a great city to visit. Make sure to bring good walking shoes too. You will love discovering something new each day when you are out and about.

Edited: 05 July 2014, 19:02
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
14,929 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time to PVR - headed to the 'southside'

Hi Dan and welcome to the forum.

I'm going to get some comments on this but we enjoyed southside for many years and it's an excellent choice for you on your first trip to PV but don't forget to branch out. I stay in some of the colonias and they are less touristy, depending on when you go to PV, as far the season you travel.

South of the Rio Cuale is a great place to start.

Just make sure to get out and walk everywhere and take local buses. That's how you get to know Vallarta. Been doing it for over 30 years and it never gets old.

Enjoy your trip!

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
5,400 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time to PVR - headed to the 'southside'

I agree Marly!! Get out and explore.!!!

Poland, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,051 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First time to PVR - headed to the 'southside'

hey nopants(yikes) pv looks like it will be your thing. los muertos is my fav beach but there are so many a cheap bus ride and /or watertaxi away.

please check out

www.vallartainfo.com

there is much info plus many do it yourself "tours"

have a blast---when r u going