We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

National Car Rental-If I can help 1 person or get advice?

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
CALIFORNIA
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
National Car Rental-If I can help 1 person or get advice?

Had a horrible experience with National Car Rental in Puerto Vallarta (across from Airport) has anyone had something similar? Request was for a 15 passenger minivan was offered 2 small cars or 1 Town Country for (7) instead of what we requested for 15 people so our party of 8 can be comfortable and be able to transport our luggage. They forced on us the extra insurance which (U Save and Budget) other rental companies never have before when we have visited Mexico. We booked for 15 people got 7 people and we asked that what is fair is to pay for half since we are only getting half of the size car we requested, they said the best they could do is $200.00 off. We were stuck with no choice so we took the only car that would somewhat accomodate us & back home in US dealing with National customer service they just keep saying we will try again and still nothing. Do not use National Car Rental in Puerto Vallarta, I wish I had read the reviews prior to booking, now I know firsthand what people are referring to.

Seattle
Level Contributor
42,624 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: National Car Rental-If I can help 1 person or get advice?

Welcome to our friendly PV forum :) Yup lots of people have bad experiences with rental cars. There's only a couple (one?) company that gets consistently recommended here. And it's not National (lol). Sorry for your bad experience, thanks for posting, join us more often and we can help avoid something like this in the future. -suze

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,068 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: National Car Rental-If I can help 1 person or get advice?

I'm so sorry you had such a bad experience! Unfortunately, your complaints aren't uncommon. We see frequent complaints about many rental car agencies.

We've had recent contention about referring businesses here. At risk of being deleted, I'm going to highly recommend Gecko. We have had nothing but excellent service from them. No, the owners aren't friends of mine. No, this is not a paid promotion.

Welcome to the Puerto Vallarta forum, familiacali! I think you'll find lots of helpful information here.

3. Re: National Car Rental-If I can help 1 person or get advice?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 08 July 2014, 00:05
So Cal
Level Contributor
7,561 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: National Car Rental-If I can help 1 person or get advice?

Magno Car Rental in PV rents Vans and Suburbans, so there is no issue size of the vehicle and competition. Their website says they rent all the same cars as they do in Guad along with VW bugs and Jeeps.

I have used them since 1995 and have never had any issues, either financial or physical damage.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: National Car Rental-If I can help 1 person or get advice?

I wouldn't recommend anyone except Gecko

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
14,901 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: National Car Rental-If I can help 1 person or get advice?

I'm sorry you had problems. We've never had problems with National across from the airport, and we do always buy full Mexican insurance with no deductible, but they've never pressured us to buy it.

Just fyi for future reference, Gecko in PV will also make you buy insurance past the mandantory insurance in Mexico, it's built into the price of the rental car. They have a very good reputation around here.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: National Car Rental-If I can help 1 person or get advice?

Some of the big chain names are privately owned, so headquarters in the US can't do anything to help you anyway. You can ask if they are private or owned by HQ because that could make a difference in what to expect from them. We stopped renting cars for clients in Mexico because of all the problems. We didn't want to be liable and even a signed waiver from the client did not stop them from trying to get help from us when the rental car companies wouldn't help, so we now no longer do it at all. Makes it much simpler for us and it often ended in a huge hassle with no positive outcome.

Edited: 07 July 2014, 23:54
8. Re: National Car Rental-If I can help 1 person or get advice?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 July 2015, 21:17