We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelocity Total Travel Protection

great neck, Ny
Level Contributor
141 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Travelocity Total Travel Protection

Beware my fellow travelers……Travelocity Total Protection Plan is not TOTAL. Without going into details, it took me 10 minutes to get a supervisor to finally admit that it really is not total and that there are many restrictions. Check with your own home ins policies before you get scammed.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,346 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelocity Total Travel Protection

Generally, I think we all find that insurance of any kind has "small print" and exclusions. We've been taking out travel insurance only recently also, due to getting on in years and having elderly parents. Never did it before.

Mr. Marly retired from the insurance industry so we go through things with a fine-tooth-comb and ask a lot of questions, but most people (if they saw the word "TOTAL") would figure everything is covered. Not necessarily.

This is not just for Travelocity. It happens all over the place, with travel insurance. The word "Total" is likely misleading, based on your short note. Also, people buy travel insurance on a short term basis, as opposed to things like auto insurance and homeowners and life insurance. Reading the fine print can be a chore.

Sorry if it affected you personally ---- sounds like it did ---- but that "Total" in the nomenclature sounds like the problem. Thanks for the reminder that everyone needs to check their own travel insurance.

2. Re: Travelocity Total Travel Protection

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 10 July 2014, 23:49
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,346 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelocity Total Travel Protection

suze --- You might want to PM him as some of this comes into HIPAA, with health issues or whatever the issue was, and you could probably also read the policy online at Travelocity. He said "without going into details." I don't know him but that's what he said so I'll take him at his word.

We're currently traveling under three policies for upcoming trips: Travelex, Travel Guard and OnCall International (most of which come with our travel arrangements for our next long trip to Europe). One policy is for our land tour. Another is for our airfare (substantial) and another is what I pay for every year owning at Villa del Palmar, but that it mostly for Medi-Vac from Mexico. Might not work for Europe. Probably not.

Some policies think it's a big-deal if your luggage is lost or your flight is delayed, so they insure that. Doesn't bother me. I carry-on (no luggage lost) and a flight delay can be fun, sometimes. ;=))

Believe me ---- it is so complicated, you wouldn't believe it. Even the "language" for pre-existing conditions can be exclusive.

It was a good tip from the OP to know exactly what your coverage is, if you purchase travel insurance. Don't take anything for granted. We never took out travel insurance until the last 5 years (mostly due to an elderly parent where we had to cancel at any time) and ----- everyone needs to know what they are signing up for.

Trust me. The OP is warning people, and it's not just with Travelocity. The word "Total" is misleading though. Everyone needs to check their own policy and take nothing for granted. Word to the wise.

We haven't been burned yet, but once you get into your 60's (speaking personally) ---- it's something to think about, especially if you're spending some money on the trip. My trips to PV are so cheap, I've never insured them but I DO insure other trips. Depends on the person and the money people put out.

Thank you to the OP.

4. Re: Travelocity Total Travel Protection

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 10 July 2014, 23:49
Edited: 10 July 2014, 23:49
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,346 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelocity Total Travel Protection

OK, suze --- that's good. Since we've had to start traveling with insurance recently, it does get complicated.

He said he didn't want to give details so it's probably specific, as opposed to a category.

Our insurance in PV lately is "MediVac" Heard too many stories, about people having to be air-lifted back to the US. It used to be Trip Cancellation For Any Reason over the past few years, with an elderly parent.

Bottom-line, it's an issue with people traveling as they get older or having elderly parents, or whatever.

I got some great information from a life-long friend recently, who is in PV every year for three weeks. He and his wife are in their early 70's and she's always had health issues so they insure with TravelGuard. They travel all over the world, since their kids live in foreign countries, as mine do. They've cancelled three trips recently and got all their money back, with full coverage with TravelGuard. Not sure if they have Medi-Vac though. It's always something to pay attention to, if we get older or have elderly parents. Anything can happen.

I've learned a lot from this lifelong friend, as to how to insure travel. That's why I was thanking the OP, even though things didn't go so well with Travelocity for him, evidently.

I hope it's a reminder for everyone to look at what they signed up for. Like I said, "travel insurance" is new to us. For those who take it out, do check your regular on-going policy (home/car/life) to compare it to "travel insurance" offered by an airline or tour provider, as the OP suggests.

I don't work for an insurance company, by the way. It's just that we've had to deal with it in detail, over the past few years. Thus, we've learned a little (or a lot). It's complicated and too detailed to put here.

Edited: 10 July 2014, 23:35
Great Neck, NY
Level Contributor
4,130 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelocity Total Travel Protection

With regard to flights, i had airline reservations this past February & did not take out travel insurance (meant to but a family emergency the day after i made the reservation prevented me from doing so) - when i had to cancel my flights about a week prior to departure due to my husband's illness, the airline refunded exactly what i paid for the ticket. i was not booked in a hotel because i was supposed to be staying with friends so not sure what would have happened there.

7. Re: Travelocity Total Travel Protection

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 03:16