We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st family trip to PV

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego...
Level Contributor
94 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
1st family trip to PV

Our family will be coming to Puerto Vallarta the 1st week of August and are staying at the Lindo Mar Resort. It will be my husband, myself & our 2 daughters (18 & 22). We enjoy the outdoors, some easy snorkeling, good but not fussy food & sight seeing. I have read through the top questions and through the forums but would like to get more information on a few things:

**Grocery store near the Lindo Mar

**Good places for souvenir shopping

**Fun restaurants that aren't all seafood

**Any must see or do activities

Thank you for your input.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
63 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st family trip to PV

Snorkeling at Marietas is a fun family day trip, taxi to Bucerias for some souvenir shopping and a bite to eat on the beach. I LOVED the outdoor adventure through Vallarta Adventures, worth checking out their website to see if it's right for your family. Head to the south side for lots of great restaurant options....PV is one of those places that no matter what you do, you will enjoy.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,636 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st family trip to PV

Go to Yelapa on a day trip. Go to Boca de Tomatlan and catch a water taxi there. Yelapa is an amazing little village where you can walk to a waterfall, spend time on the beach and buy a piece of home made pie from Chelly. The views are stunning on the village walk. No cars are there at all. It's my favorite place to go in all of my PV trips.

Edited: 15 July 2014, 07:04
Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st family trip to PV

There's an OXXO convenience store a short distance towards town, walkable. Otherwise jump on the bus to town, loads of shopping there from small local stores, the Central Municipal Market on Lázaro Cárdenas, to specialty deli goods at Los Mercados on Aquiles Serdan.

Lots of other shopping opportunities on Basilio Badillo.

There's some nice small areas to snorkel right at Lindo Mar.

Edited: 15 July 2014, 14:29
Great Neck, NY
Level Contributor
4,114 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st family trip to PV

I would say that most restaurants offer both seafood and non-seafood dishes -

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
7,120 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st family trip to PV

You might enjoy lunch at Ocean Grill. Great food and a beach adventure wrapped up in one.

http://www.oceangrillvallarta.com

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
14,368 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st family trip to PV

Farmacia Guadalajara is another good place to find groceries, it's labeled on the map link below. You can get all the basics like butter, bread, lunch meant, peanut butter, cereal and much more.

vallartainfo.com/vallarta-southside-map.html

You can also go to Mismaloya beach south of you about 15 minutes, and hire a panga on the beach, which can take you snorkeling 3 minutes off shore at the Los Arcos rocks.

I agree with Lopo, most restaurants serve more than seafood. For a very casual place spur of the moment stop go to Derby City Burgers on on Olas Altas. You can get a variety of food, sit at their sidewalk tables, and everything is 90 pesos or below.

For Pasta or Pizza....La Piazetta on Olas Altas but there are tons of places for both. For fabulous Asian fusion.....Archie's Wok on the Rodriguez (the street leading to the pier) between the ocean and Olas Altas. For mushroom and cheese Quesadillas and other Mexican foods....Pancho's Takos on Basilio Badillo near Olas Altas...open after 5:30. Tony's Please and El Brujo further inland on the south side for more Mexican food. Those above are just south side....walk along the streets and you'll find all kinds of restaurants with variety....menu's are always posted outside, so it's easy to check out the menus.

I agree with Deana, Yelapa is a must on my list. There are also many places to explore heading south from Lindo Mar.

Walking all over town should be at the top of your things to do...must do list. It's addicting, so watch out, you won't be able to stop. :-)

Calabasas, CA
Level Contributor
2,262 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st family trip to PV

You will love your stay at the Lindo Mar. You have great snorkeling right in front of the resort and they have a great restaurant and menu with a variety of selections. You get the bus about a block north of the resort to town which is only a 5min. ride. It lets you off on Basilio Badillo whey there are several great restaurants within a short walk. The Lindo Mar also has two "Happy Hours" one at 12-\;00 and the other at 5:00. Enjoy your stay.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
94 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st family trip to PV

Thank you all for your input. I'm usually pretty organized when planning a trip but for some reason I feel lost in planning this one. Your suggestions are really helpful.

Thank you

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
25,783 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st family trip to PV

Another fun restaurant south of you is Tony's La Choza in Mismaloya. Kind of like a treehouse. Seafood is a prominent part of the menu but they also do proteins.

You also have a great restaurant right at your place, La Playita. The menu is huge and varied. Many of us go out there for breakfasts (it's open to the public as well as guests - fair warning, weekend brunches get very busy).

Breakfast menu: lindomarresort.com/resinfo/…breakfast

Lunch/Dinner menu: lindomarresort.com/resinfo/…dinner

Wish I was there now...

Edited: 15 July 2014, 22:43
guadalajara
Level Contributor
851 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1st family trip to PV

I also agree with yelapa..great family time.

Also the zoo to play with the baby tigers (15 min) interactive

I enjoy bubba gump shrimp on the malecon

You should see how to take a boat tour to islas marielas i think its called.