We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My ETN bus experience

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Nuevo Vallarta, Guadalajara
Level Contributor
3,751 posts
117 reviews
Save Topic
My ETN bus experience

My husband and I just took ETN to and from Guadalajara (Zapopan) this week from Nuevo Vallarta. The two buses were VERY different.

Going to Guadalajara, we rode on a 2-level bus, which afforded wonderful views of the countryside through huge windows.

The seats reclined almost fully, electrically operated. The area of your seat is not encroached at all by the person in front of you reclining. There were touch screen TVs with movies, games and music on the back of each seat. Headphones and pillows are provided. Oodles of room for your stuff by your seat. There are even cup holders and little tray tables like on a plane! There was wifi and outlets to plug in your devices. The front seats would be awesome as you can look out a huge picture window. We got a slim ham and cheese sandwich and a soda for on board snack.

On the way back, I was very disappointed. The bus was much older, there were a few TVs overhead. No choice of entertainment. There was no wifi even though the ticket agent said there would be. No place to plug stuff in. Manually operated reclining seats and an un-adjustable footrest. Almost everyone kept the curtains drawn the whole time so the bus was just dark and no way to look at scenery. Our snack we got for on board was a Krispy Kreme donut and a soda.

No separate waiting room in either Nuevo Vallarta or Zapopan.

All in all, next time we will either take the 2-level bus or go on Vallarta Pus. There was nothing about the normal ETN bus that was worth any extra price to me. The extra size of the seat to me is insignificant for a 4 hour trip. Overnight it might make a bigger difference.

Nanaimo, BC
Level Contributor
347 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My ETN bus experience

Thanks for the report. This is very different from others who have made this trip. I am sure there will be others who will comment. I will be making the trip to pv in the future and will consider all options.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,297 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My ETN bus experience

Sioux -- Thanks for this as I've been thinking about going to Guadalajara on my next trip to PV. Haven't been there in over 20 years.

With the two different buses coming and going, wanted to clarify ---- did you pay extra for the first one or you just got a little unlucky on the second one? Reminds me of how different some of the ATM buses have been to Bucerias over the years (some really nice and some like a rickety city bus), but obviously the ETN is at a completely different level. Can you ask for the two-level bus? I want that first one. ;=))

Would the second bus you took be similar to the other lines?

Excellent information. Much appreciated!

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,751 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My ETN bus experience

We knew going in that we'd be on the different buses. You can ask when you buy your ticket, or look at ETNs website.

I think we had bad luck with the one coming home, some of the regular ETN buses are better.

I'm not tall or claustrophobic , so the other bus lines are fine by me. They are still roomier than coach class airplanes.

Edited: 17 July 2014, 08:08
Nanaimo, BC
Level Contributor
347 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My ETN bus experience

For others who may be making this trip from Zapopan, the location of the Vallarta Plus terminal is separate (and is only operated by Vallarta Plus) from the main terminal in Zapopan. Here are my notes:

TERMINAL ZAPOPAN WHICH IS CALLED

TERMINAL DE AUTOBUSES NUEVO MILENIO DE ZAPOPAN. The Vallarta Plus Bus

Station is about 100 yards south of the Zapopan Main Bus Terminal and it is the lowest

cost bus to PV, about 420$ and leaves every hour from 5 am to 2 am usually on the hour. There is a 711 store between the two bus terminals for snacks.

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,751 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My ETN bus experience

Price last week, 470 pesos per person each way for Vallarta Plus, 590 for ETN. There are discounts for buying a round trip and buying online. We had the INAPAM (senior) discount which is half price. No further discounts apply.

Edited: 17 July 2014, 16:01
USA
Level Contributor
599 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: My ETN bus experience

For anyone doing bus trips solo (I did a long one all over central and coastal Mexico in 2012), I would definitely recommend ETN for the simple fact that you can take advantage of having the solo seat side of the aisle. I mostly did Primera Plus on that trip and it was great, but in stretches where I just wanted to sleep, having the ETN single seats was perfect. Just another random tidbit.

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,072 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: My ETN bus experience

Thanks for sharing that, Sioux. We are considering flying into Guadalajara next trip. We'd like to spend a few days, then take a bus to Vallarta.

8. Re: My ETN bus experience

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 July 2015, 06:16