We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Garza Blanca or CasaMagna Marriott

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
4 posts
Save Topic
Garza Blanca or CasaMagna Marriott

I wanted to get opinions on where I should stay when I vacation to PV in October of this year. I believe Garza Blanca is more south then the Marriott. Which area has better restaurants?

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
14,921 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Garza Blanca or CasaMagna Marriott

The Mariott is in the Marina and there are restaurants there. The Marina is an area that is unto itself about 15 minutes north of town, and amidst an urban area. There are tons of wonderful restaurants to try in town. I think I could safely say that town is the most popular for dining out.

Garza Blanca is south as you say. It's the opposite of urban with jungle covered mountains and on a winding coast road. So, restaurants not too far away will be on the small village beaches under 20 minutes south, as well as in the village of Mismaloya. There are also a couple condominium complexes between Garza and town that have restaurants. Garza Blanca is approximately 20 minutes south of town. .

Buses and cabs are all over PV, so transporation will never be a problem wherever you stay. Both of these choices are favored, depending on what you want. To me their rather equi-distance to town.

Edited: 22 July 2014, 01:25
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,308 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Garza Blanca or CasaMagna Marriott

As Kansas says, they are about the same distance into "the town scene" in Puerto Vallarta but they are completely different from each other in terrain and ambience and the two are in opposite directions from the center of town.

I haven't spent time at Garza Blanca but have been on site at the Marriott numerous times to eat and go to the many fundraisers the resort sponsors. Haven't stayed overnight but have used all their facilities, including restaurants. It's a really nice spread out property with a good beach. The restaurants on the Marriott site are expensive but you can walk to the Marina nearby and find a variety of restaurants, from local authentic haunts to fine dining. Easy walk from the Marriott. Very nice restaurants nearby, within walking distance. Variety of food.

With Garza Blanca (not being familiar with the resort itself), to get the variety of restaurants, you'd have to take a bus or taxi about 10 minutes into town. That's where you would find a huge variety of excellent restaurants. You can't walk to all of them from Garza Blanca.

Have you been to Mexico or Puerto Vallarta before? To answer your question and give you tips on a choice of resort, it would help to know what you might be comparing it to.

It depends on what you are looking for, to make a great vacation. Are these your only options (?) as they are both so different from each other, other than both being very nice.

4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Garza Blanca or CasaMagna Marriott

Thanks Kansas and Marly for your comments.

Marly, I have never been to Mexico or Puerto Vallarta before. My wife and I just wanted to get away for 5-6 days and pretty much relax. We usually like to hang out at the resort for most of the time and lay by the pool. I would like to visit the city most likely for a day.

My wife loves food and I would like to stay at a place where there are great restaurants nearby. I will most likely be booking through Costco travel and I saw the Marriott and Garza Blanca as options. The others I see in my price range would be the Westin Resort and the Villa Premiere.

My other option instead of PV would be Los Cabos. Any thoughts?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,308 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Garza Blanca or CasaMagna Marriott

You can't go wrong with either Garza or the Marriott, except that if one of you wants to wander away from the resort itself, it's easier to do at the Marriott. At Garza, you'd have to take a taxi or bus to get a variety of restaurants. Fortunately, there are plenty of people here who have stayed at Garza Blanca who can fill you in.

Thanks for telling us you want to book through Costco as sometimes people mention some like you have (two resorts, which are so different from each other) and we wonder how the two popped up.

Westin is very near Marriott (at the Marina). We've stayed there a couple of times. If I was going to choose between those two near each other, I'd probably choose the Marriott. I like their restaurants better and it's a little closer to the Marina itself, where you can walk/wander and find plenty of restaurants.

Of the four, my first choice would be Villa Premiere. I love that neighborhood. The beach is a little rocky but I walked that beach regularly in February when I stayed two blocks away, for a full two weeks. There are numerous excellent restaurants within three blocks and, also slightly further within walking distance (or bus/taxi distance), you have the entire city of Puerto Vallarta excellent restaurants to choose from.

Not having stayed at GB (but it's in a beautiful area) but of the ones I know of and you saying you want to focus on restaurants (assuming you don't JUST mean at the resort itself), I'd put the rest in this order (for my tastes, re walking and being near great restaurants):

1) Villa Premiere

2) Marriott

3) Westin

You can't go wrong with any of the four. Have a fun get-away.

Iowa
Level Contributor
3,341 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Garza Blanca or CasaMagna Marriott

I've stayed at both Garza and the Marriot. They are both great properties. We did All Inclusive at each and of the 40 some hotels I've stayed at these are probably in my top 5 for food. Garza gives you two things the Marriot can't - one is a good beach ocean for swimming and the other is some really nice big beachfront suites. If you can get a 1 bdr oceanfront suite at Garza for the right price you really have something.

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
61 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Garza Blanca or CasaMagna Marriott

Hi.

PV and Los Cabos are totally different. While in PV you can visit the city in Los Cabos you will spend the day in the hotel since depending on your elections there could be a trip of 20 minutes by car to the next town, where there is not a lot to see. If golf and spas are your hobbies, than you will love Los Cabos, a lot of them. Food, you can get many good restaurants in both places. I recommend Palmilla in Los Cabos. I stayed once in Marriott PV and have visited other resorts in the area; Marriott was not one of the best.

4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Garza Blanca or CasaMagna Marriott

Thanks for your response. Can you recommend other resorts in PV that you have been to?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,215 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Garza Blanca or CasaMagna Marriott

Have you taken Garza Blanca off the list then? Because the food there gets some pretty amazing reviews, as does the beach and accommodation.

4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Garza Blanca or CasaMagna Marriott

No it is still definitely on my list. The Garza Blanca will cost about $300 more but includes breakfast everyday. I am just not sure which area I want to be in, North or South. My wife isnt a huge fan of public transportation so we would probably have to cab it wherever we go or walk.

Great Neck, NY
Level Contributor
4,128 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Garza Blanca or CasaMagna Marriott

I've only stayed at Garza Blanca so can only speak on that property - GB is beautiful property with a stunningly beautiful pool, one side of which is an infinity pool for adults only - we were there May 2012 & there were very few children - the beach area is very Caribbean-like with only a vendor or two - great beach beds, loungers, shaded or not - some water sports included - it is not a sprawling resort with tons of vegetation & landscaping, which is what i think of when using the term resort - breakfast & lunch at the resort & a 10-minute or so $8 or $10USD cab ride into town & you have tons & tons of restaurant options for dinner - when we were there, we took a bus into town for dinners (or, at that time, they had a hotel shuttle bus in the evening, which one would hope they will re-instate) & then cab it back for $8USD -