We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thoughts on The Hilton Puerto Vallarta Resort in October

7 posts
Save Topic
Thoughts on The Hilton Puerto Vallarta Resort in October

We found a great deal on cheapcaribbean.com for an All inclusive at the Hilton PV. We like that location in PV, since its close enough to everything. I have read that only part of the Hotel is new. Is October considered the down season? I don't want half the property bars and restaurants to be closed. Would like to here your thoughts. Thanks

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,978 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Thoughts on The Hilton Puerto Vallarta Resort in October

Not sure I understand about the "only part of the hotel is new".

The Hilton is brand new, built from the sand up. However it was built on the location of one of the older buildings on a section of property that used to be part of the Krystal resort next door. Perhaps that is causing confusion?

October is shoulder season so while it's not dead quiet like summer months can be, it won't be crazy busy either. To find out what might be open or closed I would go straight to the source - call the resort.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,939 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thoughts on The Hilton Puerto Vallarta Resort in October

To add to what Jenny said, we had stayed in the old building (almost like a motel structure) at the Krystal in 2000 --- very dated. It was demolished about 3 years ago in order to build the Hilton on its footprint.

What a beautiful upgrade to the entire property, which blends well together --- Krystal and Hilton. When we stayed at Krystal in October last year, it is a very nice transition from the original Krystal on the south, to the Hilton right adjacent to the North. Almost looks like a Moorish (Spanish) village center.

The family (main) pool at the Krystal --- where the columns are --- almost seems to blend into the Hilton as the Hilton rises above on the north side, but they are definitely two separate properties.

We go in October a lot (as we did to Krystal, last October) and virtually everything is open then as everyone is awaiting high season. You shouldn't have any problems at a major brand resort.

One of my seat mates on a flight from Puerto Vallarta on Alaska Airlines was the high-tech person who set up the internet/wireless system at the Hilton, right after it opened. He raved about the facility ---- so you should get excellent wireless/internet, if that's important to you. Not always reliable at so many other hotels in that area. If you have a good deal there, I'd grab it.

7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Thoughts on The Hilton Puerto Vallarta Resort in October

I guess when I said the old part, is that someone reviewed the hotel a couple of weeks ago saying that the Hilton bought a older building beside them. And that is where their room was at. Maybe I read it wrong. Thanks for the responses.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,978 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Thoughts on The Hilton Puerto Vallarta Resort in October

I read through some of the reviews just now and it does appear some guests are confused that the Hilton didn't take over an existing building. That sounds like perhaps a communication/branding thing that Hilton themselves should work on to clarify they built something from the ground up rather than moved into an existing space. There were also a couple of reviews that, despite everything, you know these are people that no matter how far a resort turns itself inside out for someone they are never going to be happy.

Just like with any other resort or hotel, you read the reviews and take out the over the top good AND bad, and if what's left is more positive than negative then I'm sure you will be just fine.

I can't say I've read or seen many bad reviews for this place, which is good for a brand new hotel. There are always growing pains as they get their bearings but it sounds like overall they are doing a really good job.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
12,551 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thoughts on The Hilton Puerto Vallarta Resort in October

Just to clarify further, they did take over a building that was part of the Krystal, but that building was under 5 years old. However it is my understanding the Hilton renovated that at least partially when they took over. The building they took over is the tower. The really old buildings referred to above were demolished to make way for new buildings and a new pool at the Hilton.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,978 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Thoughts on The Hilton Puerto Vallarta Resort in October

Maybe it's the 5 year old building people are calling "old". Seeing as I live in a building that was erected in the seventies, I consider anything younger than I am to be young. LOL

But from the photos, I guess I'm really scratching my head on "old" and "worn down" when describing a hotel that opened in 2012. Looks pretty nice to me.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,939 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thoughts on The Hilton Puerto Vallarta Resort in October

It's very nice and brand new but we didn't check out the tower Libby mentions. She's the expert on the ground on this one. Now I'm trying to remember where the tower was, having stayed at Krystal twice within the past 5 years. Obviously Libby knows more than the reviewers.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
4,991 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thoughts on The Hilton Puerto Vallarta Resort in October

If you looks at maps.google.com, the satellite images are still old Krystal images, and you can see the existing tower that remains as part of the Hilton.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,251 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thoughts on The Hilton Puerto Vallarta Resort in October

I'll chime in since I had my wedding at the Hilton Puerto Vallarta last October so I MAY have some experience with this. I've been going to PV for 25 years and this was my first time staying at a hotel there. We needed some place to have our destination wedding and with 70 people coming, Hilton seem to be the best choice and had the best view for the ceremony on the water. Thats beside the point.

Yes, there are two towers. We stayed in both towers at some point. The tower on the south is a bit older but in no way aged. The rooms are nice, Its not the four seasons but they are more than adequate and nicer than most hotels. I don't like how they all open up to a covered courtyard though but heck, your never in that area anyway.

If you have a choice, the south tower is a bit newer and nicer. It has a nice workout room and the rooms are pretty nice in size with all modern features. They all have nice sir balconies as well. In October, the pool wasn't crowded at all, you could go down at anytime and get a chair. The wait staff at the pool works hard and does there best to get drinks as fast as they can. Sometimes it takes 15 minutes when 8 people order 8 different blended drinks but you'll have no shortage of alcohol. We would order 10 beers at a time and just have a bucket of ice. The restaurants are all very good too. Don't be one of those people who expects every restaurant to be open every night when the hotel is half empty. The sushi restaurant on the roof is very good, actually we enjoyed all of them. Since we usually stay in Zona Romatica which is where my parents and a lot of their friends stayed, we did eat out every other night.

The beach is also good here, they have the typical beach for PV. They do have nightly baby sea turtle releases which was pretty cool. I was actually at my parents place at Vista del sol hanging out with them for a bit during this trip and had a sea turtle hatch and crawl up right between my legs. Pretty cool.

It's a good hotel and you'll enjoy your stay. My recommendations is to get a room in the north tower. Like I said, the dinner is pretty good. Breakfast has a huge buffet and lunch you can just order at the pool. Weather should be good as well. We had sun shine every day and only a couple evening showers which was nice to cool things down.

Have fun and if you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
3,314 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thoughts on The Hilton Puerto Vallarta Resort in October

As Libby stated, the former Krystal tower that was sold to the Hilton was fairly new; only about 3 years old or so. The old beachfront timeshare units were torn down as Krystal did not renew any of the 20 years contracts when they were up for renewal. Instead they offered renewals into other units.

I have been in the tower when Krystal owned it and also have been in once Hilton bought and remodeled. They changed the shape of the tower somewhat. It actually looks better now. Brian mentioned the courtyard in the former Krystal tower which is now the Hilton south tower. It is designed poorly and the acoustics amplify every little sound. It makes you feel like everyone slams doors and yells while they are in that area. Overall I do like the Hilton property.