We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tropicana feedback

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Tropicana feedback

Hola! So we have experienced the Tropicana. (July 14-21st) Friendly staff, and clean as a pin. Upon arrival, I upgraded to an ocean front, 'Standard' room. Not in the Superior tower. In the middle one which has 9 floors. Only a guess, but since this is in the middle of the 3 sections, one would assume it is the second phase built. The older section to the south has 7 floors. The Superior tower to the north has 6. Our upgrade was equivalent of $20 US per night. Our room was 325. Had a king bed, which was firm, but fine. No cement...Room was quite large, no fridge, etc, which was OK. I scored a used styrofoam Oxxo cooler for 30peso's from Bellhop. Ice 20 from bar. Same cost as the tienda across the street. At first I was hoping for a higher floor, but was assured the room would be fine. We looked at it first, and it was perfect. No need for the elevator, so it made for quick in & out trips, tho the elevator was used a few times. I did a walk about all the areas. I really don't think the 'Superior' room would be worth any more to me than the Standard, ocean front. In fact, I liked the feel of the older tower, but to each their own. Since we had the breakfast plan so cheap, we enjoyed a pretty good simple breakfast, each second day. Juice daily. 2 nice pools. Great beach, and no lack of palapa's to enjoy. Tho I had reservations about the Tropicana, they have been put to rest. I would stay again, especially if the price was right. Since I posted questions on this hotel a couple weeks back, I thought it may be useful to give my thoughts for any other's interested in this hotel. Any questions, feel free to ask. :)

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tropicana feedback

Thanks for the feedback, it's much appreciated. :)

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,032 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tropicana feedback

Great feedback, thanks for coming back!

Sumner, Washington
Level Contributor
970 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tropicana feedback

Thanks on the feedback. tell us more on your trip

toronto
Level Contributor
711 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tropicana feedback

Glad the upgrade of room worked out. That is exactly where we were, but on the 5th floor. It was very fine especially not waiting for the elevator.

Seattle
Level Contributor
42,173 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tropicana feedback

Yea! Thanks for posting. I've always thought this a great hotel (but have not stayed there myself). So happy to hear how things worked for you. Again thanks, suze

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,118 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tropicana feedback

We have good friends, 2 sets, who swear by the Tropicana and would not stay anywhere else

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tropicana feedback

Funny thing. Our air conditioner died. So I called front desk, really not expecting much too fast. Had a knock on the door within 5 minutes. She checked it, and said would have maintenance guys come. Again, I thot, manana. Nope, they were there pronto. So, of course replacement of unit was needed, she said about an hour. I was in the room when the guy 'removed' the old one. He cut the refrigerant line & POOF. Fog everywhere thru room & out both doors a WHOOSH. Sooo, we did move over one room, as the odour needed a bit of time to feed the ozone layer. LOL. I told my 19 year old son who has just started his career in the Hvac trade. He just could not fathom it!!! Alas tho, I saw them later in the day bring a brand new unit up to the room. :)

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
1,282 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tropicana feedback

We were there the same week as NoSnowCanada & have to concur with everything he reported except we got the $20 upgrade to 6th floor.(630)

If we could be so kind as to add our maid service was excellent! If we went for breakfast it was done by the time we returned & smelled like.............. Purple Pin sol. Water preasure & heat was very good.

They have a great happy hour there from 5 to 6 which we thought was VERY cheap. Their regular prices on buckets of beer brought to you on the beach or poolside were excellent as well. (7 Coronitas for 60 pesos) Would return to this hotel in a heartbeat. Thanks for saving from me writing a review NSC. Salud.

Edited: 25 July 2014, 18:01
Seattle
Level Contributor
1,085 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tropicana feedback

Thanks for the report back. I love the Tropicana. Just a quick question. What room type did you reserve that you had to pay extra for a standard waterview? Economy I am assuming? Some people swear by the superior rooms, but like you, I prefer the older tower. The superior does not have a closet, but only a small green metal cabinet to put stuff in. My rooms in the old tower had an actual closet with shelving, and also an armoire if I remember right.

Lol, they do have the maintenance problems of an old building. During one stay, my airconditioner leaked, flooding the entire floor. I reported it as I went out for the day, and it was fixed by the time I returned. Another time, I returned at 2am or so, to find a flood of HOT water running down the stairs and out of the elevator. I am talking a river of hot water, steam, etc. Again, it was fixed and I had hot water by morning, with no sign it ever happened.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tropicana feedback

Yes tatterdema, it was an economy room as part of the original cheap deal. And yes, we had a good size closet & armoire. Also a sit down 'makeup' table with mirror. One thing I will say, aside from the high balcony edge, the cement balcony wall also holds much of the heat from the air conditioner. When we wanted to sit there, I just turned it off. Pretty simple.