We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunset Plaza Beach Resort AI

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
152 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Sunset Plaza Beach Resort AI

Do the AI privileges extend past the noon checkout? We cannot check into our next hotel till 4pm and will have a few hours to hang out. We are staying only one night, so perhaps we can play up the 'we haven't even been here 24hrs!'

Thanks!

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
702 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunset Plaza Beach Resort AI

You should checkout by 12pm and mention you have a few hours before you leave to your next destination. I think Sunset gives you a wrist bracelet and generally AI resorts will allow you to stay longer and store your luggage. It's the room they need to get ready for the next guests that becomes an issue which is why you need to vacate however staying at the site should not be an issue.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
14,747 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunset Plaza Beach Resort AI

You're only staying there for one night? Wow, that's too bad as it's a nice resort in a very convenient location.

When we were there for a week, they weren't flexible about anything but time has passed, since they opened, and I think they're getting more Customer Service oriented. Having a nice (logical) discussion with the manager of the restaurants (or whoever is in charge of the AI program) should work.

Your request makes sense to me. AI should give you those privileges for 24 hours (one would think). Also, I hope they would realize that if they honor your request, it looks good for them. The "gentle approach" should work.

Good luck. Hope you like it and let us know how it goes. I've never heard of AI for one night so am curious as to how it works.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunset Plaza Beach Resort AI

I've stayed at AI's that are not flexible about the AI ending when check out is (usually it is at places where there are AI and EP options, which makes sense in the end). You will have to check with them directly since I haven't run into this situation at the Sunset yet. When we've been at some that made us give up our bracelets at check out, we get comfy on their loungers and order a bucket of beer and some food at 11:50am and then are good for a couple hours. Use their hospitality room to clean up (they would still store our luggage) and then you are good until about 3pm and that gives you time to get to your hotel by 4pm. You can always call the other hotel as well and ask for an early check in that morning.

Branford...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
6,914 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunset Plaza Beach Resort AI

As some of you already know I am a big fan and repeat guest at Sunset Plaza... we had a similar request on our last stay and was informed by the manager that the hotel does not offer a hospitality suite and to extend our stay on the property would be $80US without meals per room. Although not all hotels have a hospitality suite, 'most' all-inclusives we have stayed at in the past as least offer food and drinks and will hold your luggage for you until you turn in your wristband with later flights. I am disappointed that this is not the same at Sunset Plaza, not only being a repeat guest but also bringing additional guests each trip.

So Cal
Level Contributor
7,380 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunset Plaza Beach Resort AI

JNS,

Not a very guest friendly policy to say the least.

A different color bracelet seems like it would solve any AI issues for those guests that need a place to stay for a late flight, etc. I understand giving up the room but no hospitality suite stinks.

Edited: 26 July 2014, 07:42
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
152 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sunset Plaza Beach Resort AI

Thanks for your answers! We are only staying one night because we are then moving over to a private condo at Dreams for a week. We are then staying another one nighter at Marival at the end of the stay. It was $1300 cheaper to fly down a day earlier and come back a day later. Ok, twist my arm to stay two more days in paradise!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
14,747 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sunset Plaza Beach Resort AI

Hi badney --- I do the one night also, to either save money on flights for a night or two after my condo (or just to stay longer) so good for you for doing that.

Unfortunately, as JNS mentions, some of the policies at Sunset Plaza defy logic. When we were there, they seemed to be thumbing their nose at people and not taking advantage of opportunities to make themselves look good to the public (as in, not allowing our good friends, who live in PV, to even enter the front door?....to have a drink in the lobby or just look at the property?).

Seemed like "good advertising" (for them) to me, but the response (and I went all the way to the top manager) was, "No way --- this is an exclusive resort." I thought that was hilarious as my friends are well off and lived in the penthouse in an "exclusive" condo complex south of PV ---- but "not allowed into the lobby of Sunset Plaza."

We were hoping Sunset Plaza had loosened up since then. Virtually all of our interactions with them seemed like someone had "read a Corporate Policy Book" and would not deviate one iota.

I had a couple other interactions with the manager, which didn't go so well either. That's why they only got a 3-circle on their TA review. It's too bad, as the property is beautiful. Customer Service stinks though. When we were there, everyone was a robot, except the pool guy and one bartender we got to know. He was well-educated (in the US) and told us what he thought of their policies, turning people off. He planned to quit soon to go back to school.

When you stay at a number of other places in the same area (say, Sheraton and Villa del Palmar and some others I've stayed in within the past few months), you notice the difference in customer-focus, or lack thereof.

To me, it only makes sense that if you pay AI, you get it for 24 hours if you're there for only one night. You paid on a 24-hour rate --- and you can't use it for 24-hours? But, I don't run the hotel. I'm stalling to return, to when they decide customers are important (like all the other hotel/resorts in the area do). Until then..........I'll pass it by.

Do you have to do AI for the one night? We didn't, but we were on RCI (AI optional) so I wasn't sure it was optional for others. Guess not.

Have a great trip to paradise. ;=))

Edited: 27 July 2014, 16:29
8. Re: Sunset Plaza Beach Resort AI

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 July 2015, 05:16