We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kombucha

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
3 posts
Save Topic
Kombucha

Does anyone know if there is anywhere in PV where you can buy kombucha??

Twin Bridges...
Level Contributor
1,399 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kombucha

My daughter-in-law has searched high and low, but cannot find it anywhere.

Edited to add: she hasn't tried any health food stores, just, WalMart, Soriana and Mega.

Edited: 10 August 2014, 02:35
Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,893 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kombucha

There is only one place that sells it and it is Organic Select in Versalles. Kombucha is very new to Mexico and Krsytal brew here own. I am TRYING to get my hands on a scoby so I can make it for me...

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
5,450 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kombucha

Is it good for me? Have never heard of it

Delta, Canada
Level Contributor
3,751 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kombucha

Not a clue what this is but if I have to google it the chances are thatI won't eat it.

So--- Que?

Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,893 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kombucha

Kombucha is a fermented sweetened teas that m=forms carbonation as it ferments. The scoby is a nast ugly fermented mushroom that you need to have to brew the Kombucha. It's a hipster/hippy drink from ancient China that is a huge trend now but it is good, tasty and good for you and you can brew it in your fridge but not popular in Mexico- it is popular with the Whole-Foods type of hipster. My friedn makes it but she is in San Pancho and I've been trying to get s scoby from her forever.... maybe one day I will get lucky :)

Delta, Canada
Level Contributor
3,751 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kombucha

I think I have eaten it. Itès a fungus that grows on old tea. My machine Is still on spanish mode for some reason.

Tastes ok but I dont see the point.

If everything that is supposed to be good for you, all I can say is the experts now say coffee and chocolate are good.

Life is good. And beats the heck out of the alternative.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
1,282 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kombucha

There is a lady who sells it at the Saturday market in the square. It comes in corked bottles. I think it was 50 pesos (750 ml to 1 litre) 45 pesos when you return your bottle. My wife is a tree hugger & knows all about it. Very refreshing & very good for you. I liked it as I believed it flushed all the beer & Margs out of my body from the previous day. Saludos.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
157 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Kombucha

Yep. At the market in the square (market is not on now in low season). She had two flavours for sure, maybe three. We tried the regular and the ginger. They were both very good.

Blaine, Minnesota...
Level Contributor
308 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kombucha

I've been wanting to try it. I've been making kefir for a year now. I was on prescription medication for my heart burn, on top of that i needed to eat a roll of tums every day and couldn't ever get a good night sleep. Constant pain for years until I started drinking home made kefir. Heartburn is completely gone!! So even though I don't eat organic and I'm not anything close to being a hipster: I am completely bought into these fermented drinks and fermented foods... I am excited to make some kombucha!

3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Kombucha

Thanks for the help! I'm going to check out organic select.

Bzy1, you can actually make kombucha scobys from store bought kombucha, its pretty simple but takes at least 2 weeks. Here is a good article if you are interested:

paprikahead.com/2009/07/how-to-brew-your-own…