We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Park on Cuale island by John Huston statue + another ?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
508 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Park on Cuale island by John Huston statue + another ?

I was thinking about a couple of places that used to be there and was wondering if they were still open, but I don't remember the names of them. Haven't been in that particular section of the island since 2005.

There was a restaurant near the cultural center. It always looked like it was closed, even when it was open. I remember having a pretty decent pina colada there on a hot day. Does anyone know the place?

Also, there was a sort of circular-shaped shop in the center of the walkway. It was usually closed in summer. but I remember going in there in the early 90s. Some of the usual clothes, crafts, etc., but also some very good framed photos that you didn't see everywhere else. Still there/gone/ I imagined it?

Also, also...I'm indulging my group in October by giving in and letting them pick a restaurant for one evening. They really really want to eat on or near the malecon and include a sunset with the meal. Except for Mi Querencia, I haven't eaten on the malecon since around 1998. They have done some research and narrowed it down to Chez Elena (which is not technically on the malecon but close enough) and Viejo Vallarta. Which would be the better choice? Or does anyone know of a better choice than those two? btw no one wants tapas, so no Barcelona. We have tapas all over the place in Houston. Looking for fresh seafood or Mexican food to please the majority. So I'm guessing a restaurant with good food on a second or third floor or a rooftop would please them. Good margaritas wouldn't hurt, either ;)

So Cal
Level Contributor
7,612 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Park on Cuale island by John Huston statue + another ?

Tino's is at the beginning of the Malecon on the 2nd floor with dining on the balcony.

tinosvallarta.com/mariscos-tinos-the-cathedr…

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Park on Cuale island by John Huston statue + another ?

I would choose Vitea on the Malecón extension. The restaurant by the John Huston statue, is Le Bistro, who paid for that incidentally, is closed right now and hopefully opening in October.

For fresh seafood you can't beat Mariscos Polo's on the south side.

Kansas
Level Contributor
99 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Park on Cuale island by John Huston statue + another ?

Ed - Josh, while I'm fond of Chez Elena there is no view except for the building across the street. The view is at their rooftop bar El Nido but no food up there. I think that the best seafood on the Malecon is at Mariscos Tino's, as mentioned in post #1. Very good margaritas and some tables on the second floor balcony have a partial view of the bay. Another possibility for seafood and view but a few blocks north of the Malecon is El Barracuda - right on the beach, great sunsets, great food and service.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Park on Cuale island by John Huston statue + another ?

Four of us ate at Viejo Vallarta in November. Food was very good, and reasonably priced. I think we had 3 molecate specials and 1 steak. Good drinks and view. Definitely a "why don't we eat here more often?" place. Would suit your need perfectly.

Edited: 17 August 2014, 06:36
So Cal
Level Contributor
7,612 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Park on Cuale island by John Huston statue + another ?

Since the OP specifically asked for the Malecon Mariscos Polo doesn't fit the criteria he was asking about. I don't share the opinion that Mariscos Polo has the best seafood in town. :)

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
29 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Park on Cuale island by John Huston statue + another ?

The OP remembered a restaurant close to the cultural centre. Could this have been Las Brazzas? It is across from the new footbridge.

Oregon
Level Contributor
9,153 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Park on Cuale island by John Huston statue + another ?

I was thinking it might be Las Brazzas too but was waiting to see if anyone else thought that. We ate there last April after our hike to the cross with Sylvie.

Edited: 17 August 2014, 13:55
Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Park on Cuale island by John Huston statue + another ?

La Brazas sounds correct, not sure if it's still open.

La Posta is across from the Malecón and has got good reviews, corner of Mina. There's also Dolce Vita and La Chata on the Malecón.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
7,747 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Park on Cuale island by John Huston statue + another ?

JR mentions the other restaurants on the Malecon that I'd suggest as well with Vitea being the clear winner - IMO. La Posta is great also. Just a couple of blocks North of the Malécon is Layla (no view though) which is excellent, too. Maybe El Barracuda for a view from the beach. Not a fan of the food at Chez Elena but you could have drinks before or after dinner at El Nido (their bar) for the view.

Seattle
Level Contributor
43,365 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Park on Cuale island by John Huston statue + another ?

Agreeing with a couple posts above, there is no view from Chez Elena dining room, which is on the 2nd floor of the hotel in the courtyard. The view is only from the bar, El Nido, up on top.

I agree with Vitea if you want good food, right on the Malecon, with a view.

suze