We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

leaving 9/25, Want to cancel my trip I'm very scared. read..

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Washington
Level Contributor
221 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
leaving 9/25, Want to cancel my trip I'm very scared. read..

I have never traveled before. I'm very scared to go anyway, but with both of the hurricanes just hitting down there, I'm freaked out. There is another brewing down south headed that way in about a week. Do they ever transfer you to a different area? say Cancun?

Thanks

Santa Cruz
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: leaving 9/25, Want to cancel my trip I'm very scared. read..

I would be more scared of going to cancun, and anyway, PV is MUCH better. Just call your hotel or travel agent ahead of time, but I am sure you will still have a wonderful time!!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
25,769 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: leaving 9/25, Want to cancel my trip I'm very scared. read..

Both systems in the Pacific are already well clear of Puerto Vallarta according to the National Hurricane Center website ( noaa[dot]com ). NHC's website is very up to date, if you're concerned you should keep checking it.

Cancun is clear on the other side of the country. If they were going to evacuate from Vallarta for anything it would likely be inland to higher ground, not to another coast, so I'm sure you'll be fine.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
25,769 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: leaving 9/25, Want to cancel my trip I'm very scared. read..

Lori is correct - Cancun is much more exposed and vulnerable to hurricanes than Vallarta is, because it's on open ocean. Vallarta is nestled back in a nice big bay with the Sierra Madre mountains surrounding it...it has a lot of natural protections from full on hurricane hits.

Take a deep breath, relax, and just prepare to enjoy a nice holiday. (-:

Washington
Level Contributor
221 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: leaving 9/25, Want to cancel my trip I'm very scared. read..

Thank you, how is the weather there now that this hurricane went right up beside PV?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,659 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: leaving 9/25, Want to cancel my trip I'm very scared. read..

Cancel your trip to P.V. Cancun is not vulnerable this year. Most of it has been rebuilt. You wouldn't even know a hurricane hit. Only a few hotels are still closed. You would love Cancun better anyway. All the white, pritine beaches have been requilt. Bigger and better than ever. And the ocean is still the gorgeous shades of aqua, turqouse blues. The niteclubs are still jumpin'. You would never get the 18 shades of aqua waters, white sands, in P.V. like you will get in Cancun and the Rivera Maya.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: leaving 9/25, Want to cancel my trip I'm very scared. read..

Nothing much happened here 'cept it rained pretty steady for two days, 8-10 inches over the period. Streets hardly flooded, which they do when we have a thunderstorm. The rivers are very full, but going down now.

Right now, it's clearing and will probably be sunny later.

I must comment that most news reporting, in the US/CAN media, on hurricanes in Mexico are full of errors and sensationalism.

We have never had a direct hit and in over 50 years only one came close, that was Kenna four years ago, the damage from that was by waves which affected about 2 blocks from the beach, it produced hardly any wind and only one inch of rain.

Hurricane John passed by and nobody even notice a change, 'cept the cloud cover.

Cancún gets hit regularly, not this side.

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: leaving 9/25, Want to cancel my trip I'm very scared. read..

Spent on September "Hotel Sitting" for friends why they traveled to Europe. Hotel was closed but needed someone to watch it. I can remember almost being Washed down Matamoras during a torrential down pour. I spent a good portion of that month sitting under a canopied patio or wading the streets in knee high water clutching a umbrella. If you are going to the tropics in the rainy season chances are you are going to get wet!

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: leaving 9/25, Want to cancel my trip I'm very scared. read..

But it's a warm wet, I never bother with umbrellas, they don't work on our narrow sidewalks.

If the street is flooded, it's only for a very short time, just go have a cocktail or two.

BTW I'd advise against leather sandals, they will come off when they get wet.

Level Contributor
5,143 posts
677 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: leaving 9/25, Want to cancel my trip I'm very scared. read..

If I listened to the TV newspeople, I'd be freaked out too! However, their reporting through these hurricanes has been nothing short of despicable.

Articles published saying "Puerto Vallarta Lashed by Hurricane John", TV News Media showing old footage of the one flooded street in another town over and over and over again, while pretending it was the town they were talking about, and so many other cases of irresponsible reporting for the sake of sensationalism that has occurred throughout - despicable.

While all these stories were going on, PV in reality was totally untouched by John, and had no major damage from Lane either. In a day or so the sun will be shining again and nobody will be able to tell a storm was ever even around. I think they closed the port for an hour or so earlier today and then reopened it. The airport never was disrupted. You'd never think that from watching Fox or CNN.

I think you're looking at Tropical Depression 14 - that's not at all unusual for this time of the year. Most of the time they fizzle out in the ocean, once in a while they pass by and drop some rain, and once in a very great while they gain strength and become a Tropical Storm. This one looks to be well north of PV - aiming at the upper Baja Peninsula, if it ever makes it there. No worries. Have a great vacation.

The Caribbean is much more prone to hurricanes than PV - much more.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,659 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: leaving 9/25, Want to cancel my trip I'm very scared. read..

Go to Cancun, you will love it!!!!!!!!!! It is truly PARADISE!!!!