We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bucerias or Puerto Vallarta

Langley
Level Contributor
112 posts
Save Topic
Bucerias or Puerto Vallarta

I would imagine that Puerto Vallarta has many more shops, but I am sure that alot of the same wares are for sale in both places. Which in your opinion would you get better deals at the Flee Markets... in Bucerias or Puerto Vallarta?

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
562 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bucerias or Puerto Vallarta

We seemed to get better deals in Bucerias and there were no crowds at all at that flea market. We like to hit Bucerias in the afternoon, wander downtown a little, shop the market for souvenirs and have a sunset dinner and drinks on the beach. We used to really like Meson Bay, but not so much anymore. Prices went up while quality went down. We will be looking for a new dinner spot in Bucerias when we are there in February. I hear Mark's and Karen's are 2 good places.

The flea market in PV is fun as well - more of an adventure really, but better deals in Bucerias due to less buyers there.

United States
Level Contributor
1,052 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bucerias or Puerto Vallarta

I don't know that the deals are any better in Bucerias but it is a more leisurely, less frenetic place than the flea market in PV. And for the poster looking for a new restaurant - Karen's is wonderful right on the beach; Mark's is one of our favorites but it is not on the beach; Lovely setting and in season they have some great evenings with Latcho and Andrea

Bucerias, Mexico
Level Contributor
295 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bucerias or Puerto Vallarta

There are lots of good restaurants. Try Tapas de Mondo it is fun. Laid back, open air kitchen, tiny portions of lots of things. After food to the Bar Above for dessert and/or liquors.

The idea is to order a selection of tiny hors d' oeuvre portions. Sit around a kitchen type of counter and take in all kinds of conversations.

Seattle
Level Contributor
43,754 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bucerias or Puerto Vallarta

For shopping in Puerto Vallarta, I like dealing with the beach vendors down on Playa Los Muertos instead of that awful "flea market" by the river. I hate that place(!), the vendors are aggressive and not friendly. It is the only place in Vallarta I have ever been that I would say that about.

Langley
Level Contributor
112 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bucerias or Puerto Vallarta

Where abouts is Playa Los Muertos? I will be staying at the Royal DeCameron. Directions?? Please.

United States
Level Contributor
1,052 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bucerias or Puerto Vallarta

Adora - Playa Los Muertos is the beach area south of the river downtown. Easy walk from the Malecon. From the RD you would either need to go to the highway and take a bus into PV or grab a cab. But not to worry you will also encounter beach vendors in Bucerias as you sit on the beach at the RD...selling the exact same wares that are hawked on Playa Los Muertos. Frankly, these are the same things that you can barter for at the flea markets in Bucerias or downtown PV. Los Muertos does not have the market on beach vendors by a long shot.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
12,356 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bucerias or Puerto Vallarta

Hi: I just wanted to put in a plug for a very nice little store upstairs in the Mercado by the river (the Rio Cuale). It's called Artensias El Tucan, Local B, Planta Alta (upper floor). It's owned by a lovely young woman, named Angela. Her husband is an engineer/civil servant who currently works full-time for the City of Puerto Vallarta so this is just a sideline for them. They are a really nice well-educated couple and they have nice things (artefacts, table cloths) and reasonable prices. We always just rush by the other aggresive guys up to their store.

One thing most people don't realize, and I didn't realize for a long time, is that the stores on Olas Altas (in Puerto Vallarta) have really good prices for the usual flea market/vedor stuff.

In my opinion, the way to get good prices is to look around in the stores and then tell the vendors (or others you bargain with) that you just bought one downtown for x pesos. Many times I've seen vendors ask 200 pesos for a t-shirt when I've seen the same one in Puerto Vallarta stores for 50 pesos or less. Ditto with wallets, bags, etc.

Seattle
Level Contributor
43,754 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bucerias or Puerto Vallarta

I've also gotten fair prices by buying multiple items from the same vendor, either the same day, or seeing him/her again another time. So if you're going to buy 3 blankets, for example, ask if there is a "discount".

9. Re: Bucerias or Puerto Vallarta

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2009, 03:20