We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shots?

British Columbia
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Shots?

Did any of you get shots before you came to Mexico?

On that same note, did any of you not get any sorts of shots and were fine once in Mexico?

Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,893 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shots?

It is best to take a few shots of tequila before you come down as preventative practice medicine before you start the hard therapy of many shots of tequila once you are here. Most people are fine with tequila shots, as long as they are not Jose Quervo taken with salt and lime. Also do not mix your medicine! If you take shots, do not also mix with beer or rum or any other liquid medicine. Start and stay with one- shots and margaritas are fine.

As far as Hep A and B series shots, if you have not started them- not a problem although I suggest these prevantative vaccines to everyone as Hep A and B outbreaks happen all over the US and Canada- especially if you work in health care or child care or eat out a lot (many outbreaks are due to food service workers).

I do recommend that everyone has their tetanus shot/diptheria shot (should be every five years) as you never know when you will step on something rusty here and man we have a lot of rusty things!

Better to have the shot versus needing the shot once you have a puncture wound or a wound that is dirty. Otherwise you may get lockjaw and won't be able to do those tequila shots! :)

maryland
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shots?

LOL bzy1!

kandis, i've have been to mexico a gazillion times & never had an injection type of shot.

only time i wasn't fine was at least 25 years ago on a trip to acapulco, ate salad in a not very clean restaurant & got food poisoning.

since then...been to PV, zihuatanejo, cancun, matzatlan, acapulco a second time, cabo.....NO shots, NO problems!

Edmonton, Alberta
Level Contributor
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Shots?

Was reading the response from bzy1 and thought I should correct a little bit.

Tetnus shots should be redone a minimum of every 10 years (though perhaps they are of different quality in the US and Mexico than Canada)

And although I do not know what the immunization guidelines for travel in Mexico are from Health Canada (not off the top of my head anyways) I do know that Hepatitis A and B very rarely have "outbreaks" in Canada and Hep B is actually recommended as part of the routine immunizations you get as a kid in Canada. So as a nurse I would recommend you find a travel health clinic or reasonable substitute and find out what the recommended shots you get are and get them - much better than having your liver fail on you because you ate one contaminated ice cube.

Just my 2 cents. Ignore or take to heart as you wish.

Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,893 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shots?

Hi shelle,

Thanks for your input, much appreciated since I only speak from a US/Vallarta point of view :)

In the States, tetanus is 10 years for a wound, five years for any puncture wound from metal or glass.

(IE: You had a tetanus shot eight years ago and step on a rusty fish hook in the ocean- you need another shot because it is a puncture wound with a rusty object.)

Our Hep shots in the US are a series of A & B together over a period of time.

I would not hestitate to say all of the local restaurants and hotels in Vallarta use the purified ice that is widely available and inexpensive plus these ice factories like Bajo Cero and Kystal deliver. It is less expensive here to buy ice than to make it. :)

To the OP, if you haven't had a tetanus shot in over 10 years (and most people have not unless they needed to have one) get that shot but otherwise you should be fine.

Red Deer, Alberta
Level Contributor
161 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shots?

We are in Alberta and our trip to PV is planned for January. The Public Health Travel Clinic here suggests Hepatitis A as well as tetanus. I already have Hep B as I work in the Health Care field. My husband opted to get TwinRix which is Hep A and B combined.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta
Level Contributor
8,781 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shots?

bzy1

that first paragraph in your first response is great. as usual you are able to mix humor with good information. we have been going to PV 17 times over nearly 20 years and have never gotten any shots. it is a city after all not the middle of a remote jungle. exercise the same caution that you would at home. ie: food, water. etc and you will be okay.

Salmon Arm, Canada
Level Contributor
215 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shots?

Another nurses opinion, we can't resist adding our two cents! Check out a great web site for easy to understand information. www.cdc.gov then type hepatitis, tetanus etc. in the search box.

Getting immunizations is pretty cheap insurance if it can help protect you against a nasty disease. But remember frequent hand washing and/or using a portable hand sanitizer is the best thing you can do to deter getting sick from disease causing organisms. WAY more organisms than vaccines to protect you. Stay healthy so you can enjoy more of the "fun" shots on your vacation. Thats my plan! KJ P.S. sure hope I get to meet bzy1 and other locals who post here during my trip to PV, you're too cool.

Level Contributor
1,346 posts
394 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shots?

Hep A and Hep B are desirable shots even if you're not travelling. In Manitoba kids in Grade 4 are now routinely innoculated for Hep B. As for outbreaks, about two years ago there was a severe outbreak in Winnipeg of Hep A which was traced to a local restaurant in the best section of town. An infected workers managed to cause much harm. Many, many people were ill and some continue to have problems.

Safe travels to all.

9. Re: Shots?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2009, 04:17