We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Puerto Vallarta Villas - Applegate Realtors

De Pere, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Puerto Vallarta Villas - Applegate Realtors

We had a wonderful vacation in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico the week between Christmas and New Years. However, be very careful when dealing with Applegate Realtors. Deciding to rent a luxury villa, my extended family chose one of the properties advertised by Applegate Realtors in the center of town. Although expensive, we thought that having a heated pool was worth the price alone.

They advertised a heated pool and air conditioning and both did not work when we arrived at the Villa. Initally, none of the Air Conditioning units worked, but the staff was able to get them to work in a few hours. If the staff wasn't there, we would not have had air conditioning until the next day, at least.

It took a few days to get the heat in the pool working, and then it only worked for one day. Then the pool heater caught on fire and had to be extinguished by the pool maintenance man. It never worked again.

The general maintenance of the Villa was poor- many light bulbs were out, many knobs on the drawers kept falling off,and one of the bedroom lamp shades was missing during our entire saty even after we called attention to it. In the kitchen, the toaster was very old and didn't work well and the coffee pot didn't work all of the time with the plug broken. In fact one of us received an electrical shock when trying to make coffee one day.

Although we had a great time, because of the above we cannot recommend Applegate Realtors. We brought the issues to their attention during the middle of our stay, but refused to give us any compensation.

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
369 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Puerto Vallarta Villas - Applegate Realtors

Thank you for the info! So many realtors in PV, you never know....

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
12,621 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Puerto Vallarta Villas - Applegate Realtors

I appreciate that note. I will stop recommending them.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Puerto Vallarta Villas - Applegate Realtors

Did you need A/C just before Xmas?

I was using a quilt on my bed.

Saskatchewan
Level Contributor
247 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Puerto Vallarta Villas - Applegate Realtors

If the poster is still reading his thread, you stated. "Deciding to rent a luxury villa, my extended family chose one of the properties advertised by Applegate Realtors in the center of town. Although expensive, we thought that having a heated pool was worth the price alone."

Just curious as to how much the expensive was? I have never stayed in one of these rental units, but am wondering in 'relative terms' if you compared it to a four or five star resort (inclusive or otherwise) and included the total number of people in your party, is it in fact expensive, OR are you saving a bundle...

Unfortunate to not have A/C, and I suppose for you Southerners water feels colder, hence the pool heater, ...LOL......Not trying to knock your post, just curious, as we like to take a our extended family with us too. (Last time 9 of us went AI, and I wondered if we would have better off renting one of those villas.)

Astoria,OR
Level Contributor
327 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Puerto Vallarta Villas - Applegate Realtors

To JR

We were in PV over Christmas and used the air conditioning, also in the mornings I was out and about walking in shorts and tee shirt while the staff was in fleece vests and hoods!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
27,222 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Puerto Vallarta Villas - Applegate Realtors

For CanadianRon -

If you are looking at renting an upscale villa or condo for a large group, most of them come with their own staff (cook, maid, houseman, etc). If you break down the per night cost per person in your group, it works out to either the same as an all inclusive OR in many cases even cheaper.

Let's say for 9 people you would like to rent a 4 bedroom villa. Depending on how "upscale" you want to go (because believe me, you could reach for the Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous, or simply stay in a lovely place that is affordably priced for us mere mortals), your costs could come in per person under $100 a day. That is comparable to or cheaper than most all inclusives.

I just did a test run and pulled up a listing for a 4 bedroom place I was eyeing for a girl's trip this summer...for 9 people the cost on that particular south shore villa (fully loaded, beachfront, private pool plus access to the complex pool and amenities, etc.) worked out to be $485US per person for a week. That's approximately $70 a night! And if you stay two weeks with a group that size, some villas will discount as well.

For $70 a night that's a lot of inexpensive luxury - even if you had budgeted for more you can spend the excess on your requirements for the villa - food, drink, tipping, specially prepared dinners by the staff, etc.

Here is the listing for the place I used as the example above, Villa Karaway:

www[dot]vrbo[dot]com/3062

Chicago
Level Contributor
1 post
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Puerto Vallarta Villas - Applegate Realtors

We rented the "Casa Las Amapas" in PV Jan 5-12 through Applegate Realtors, and our experience could not have been more different.

The villa was absolutely gorgeous and in perfect condition. The photos on the Applegate website actually understated how beautiful the villa is.

The staff of five, including a cook and bartender/assistant, did everything imaginable to make our stay a pleasant one. One of the Applegate representatives called us mid-week to ask how everything was going, and then stopped by.

In selecting the villa, Jaime at Applegate was very helpful and responsive. He provided references of other guests who had stayed recently, made arrangements for pick-up of our group at the airport, and all the groceries we wanted on hand when we arrived.

In short, our experience with Applegate was perfect, and I was very surprised to read the post from the member in Wisconsin

Little Rock, AR
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Puerto Vallarta Villas - Applegate Realtors

For anyone interested in a wonderful villa in Puerto Vallarta, we had a fabulous time at Casa Querubines in Upper Conchas Chinas. We stayed with 4 other couples in a 5 bedroom villa, all kingsize beds with en suite spacious bathrooms and balconies overlooking the Pacific Ocean. The staff was magnificent and cooked delicious breakfasts and dinners each day, along with margaritas and guacamole at cocktail time. The villa is new, fresh and clean with fine linens and beautiful furnishings,air-conditioning and an infinity pool overlooking the Pacific. You can book at jcolclasure@aristotle.net and I promise you will be treated like royalty by the staff and owner.

Chicago
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Puerto Vallarta Villas - Applegate Realtors

We are staying Casa Las Amapas in March for my Mom's 70th birthday and I was relieved to read your posting. Any suggestions or helpful advise? Was the beach nice or do you need water shoes for rocks? We have 3 families along with my parents and we just want it a perfect getaway for my mom's birthday. If you have the time I would love to hear about anything you would bring if you were to do it again.

Thanks

So Cal
Level Contributor
8,063 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Puerto Vallarta Villas - Applegate Realtors

SMTORD

Note the original post is two years old, alot can change in two years.