We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how safe is it in Zihuatanejo?

San Francisco
2 posts
Save Topic
how safe is it in Zihuatanejo?

Going for christmas vacation and am concerned with the unrest going on in the rest of the country. How safe is it walking around at night or taking cabs?

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how safe is it in Zihuatanejo?

Well certainly safer than Hunters Point, West Oakland or the Mission at night.

I have been hanging in Zihua for a number of years for 3 months or more each winter with never a problem. In fact in 23 years of Mexican with never a problem following a few rules.

1. I am polite to all

2. I never flash money

3. I do not drink BUT if you indulge do not get wasted & wander the streets.

4 I do not go where I do not belong. In Zihua that;s North of Jose Morelos the area behind the Elektra Store.

That's it. As I say I have traveled the length & breath of Mexico by bus, car & foot never having a problem. I have been in cities (IE Lazaro Cardenas) where I have been the Only gringo in town. I have been invited into peoples homes for dinner or on a couple occasions to spend the night.

So relax & enjoy using normal city smarts.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how safe is it in Zihuatanejo?

Ditto the above!

Keith

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
4,923 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how safe is it in Zihuatanejo?

Quite safe!

We were there 12 - 18 Dec.

Never considered any risk.

M

Chapala, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Chapala, Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta, Ajijic, Chapala
Level Contributor
12,050 posts
466 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how safe is it in Zihuatanejo?

ditto to peddler.....I am in Mexico full time and it is safe as anywhere in world as long as you use your usual precautions. I have experienced no problems with the "unrest" in the country. Juts use common sense. I've been all over Mexico including some of the big cities and no problems, and also been in areas at time of unrest and again no problems. Go and have fun....cabs well other than the driving..LOL...fine. There is a definate different pattern of driving here in Mexico...the goal is you have to be in front and first LOL...

Comox BC
Level Contributor
998 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how safe is it in Zihuatanejo?

Hugmaster I see this same question sooo often on the various Mex boards. Actually it's likely on Europe + Australian + South American . . . boards also but I've not spent a bunch of time on those ones.

You live (I presume) in SF. Is this a city without crime? A city without any drug situations? Of course not. Nor is Vancouver, or NYC or Chicago and most definitely not LA. Mex isn't any different. It has its *situations* also. Follow Peddler's very wise basics and you will be fine, whether in LA, Zi or NYC or any other place.

Have a great time.

Hasta Holly

San Francisco
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: how safe is it in Zihuatanejo?

Thanks for the responses! Especially peddler665 notes and mikemo's time frame. I've actually been around the world and in countries where walking around at night or taking cabs as a lone female isn't recommended so I figured I'd ask a group of folks that just might know the current climate so I know what to expect and before I let the news and the state dept travel alert overrun my vacation. :P Thanks for the reassurance and excited to go!

Chapala, Mexico
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,050 posts
466 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: how safe is it in Zihuatanejo?

hugmaster...Happy New Year....I know where your thoughts are coming from...I went to Rio De Janeiro Brazil, where walking around even in groups at night or even in daytime is not recommended....LOL. Take nothing to beach etc.....

Hope you have an incredible time....u must be there now!!!

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
4,923 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: how safe is it in Zihuatanejo?

Simply click on my name and you'll know where I have been.

Well some of my USNavy stuff is still highly classified, but otherwise a bit interesting.

M (fmr LCDR, MC, USNR (Nuke)

Buen viaje.

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
10,930 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: how safe is it in Zihuatanejo?

I walk around here all the time...never a problem...but then I am not looking for trouble either...there is a difference...then.

Chapala, Mexico
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,050 posts
466 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: how safe is it in Zihuatanejo?

hugmaster....I forgot to add...I feel no fear in Zihua or Ixtapa, with or without husband....

As Travel Judy said I am not looking for troubles though and yes that does make a difference, for the average tourist, enjoying themselves and being considerate and such....I would say very safe.

Yes there is some drug cartel issues and turf wars occurring but for the most part a tourist is not having any involvement with any of that , unless you go looking for it.

Happy New Year!

Get answers to your questions about Zihuatanejo