We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Acapulco side trip

Rockford, Illinois
Level Contributor
513 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Acapulco side trip

Hi everyone. My fiance and I will be in Ixtapa mid January, and I would like to take a day trip to Acapulco to finalize our wedding plans. I know that there is a bus that goes from Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo to/from Acapulco (Estrella de Oro), but when I can get their website to work, all I can find is the departure times, not the arrival times. Ideally I would like to leave around 6 am and return on a late afternoon bus. I know it will make a long day, but I've already got the meetings in Aca lined up for early afternoon, and should only need 2-3 hours in town. I do not want to spend the night in Aca since this is a quick getaway for us. Does anyone know how I can find out the arrival times for the various buses? We're staying at the Melia, should I look for a bus leaving from Ixtapa or Zihuatanejo?

Also, when my mom and dad took a day trip from Aca to Ixtapa over 20 years ago, they hired a driver for the day for $100 u.s. Could anybody recommend a driver, and do you have any idea how much it would be for a same day trip?

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Acapulco side trip

It's a 4 hour trip one way.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
65 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Acapulco side trip

Hello,

Acapulco is a larger WORN OUT city.....so many places better to go. Basically once you have seen the cliff divers......move out of town.

Yet, if you insist, rent a car and drive yourself, plan on spending the night, either way.

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
10,991 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Acapulco side trip

You might be able to hire a cabbie...I had friends who were driving there for tours...but think the price has gone up due to the gas prices escalating here...but it is 4 hours there...so it makes for a long day...none of them will want to drive after dark...just too many problems...you might be better off taking the bus and doing an overnite...

Why not have the wedding here...so beautiful...and so many places to have it...

4. Re: Acapulco side trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2009, 08:21
Get answers to your questions about Zihuatanejo