We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

any interesting day trips?

Which Zihuatanejo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Long Island
Level Contributor
629 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
any interesting day trips?

we are headed to Zihua in December. I have read about the "things to do" on trip advisor.....fishing, las gatas, sunday night basketball courts, la ropa, restaurants, etc. I am wondering if anyone had any interesting day trips or other things to do places to go. We are going for 14 days and I am wondering if I made our trip too long, should I shorten it? Any ideas would be great!

Dallas, Tx
Destination Expert
for Zihuatanejo
Level Contributor
1,539 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: any interesting day trips?

A day trip to Barra de Potosi is always great fun. Ride the local bus to Los Achotes and then take the truck taxi. Stop at the new wildlife refuge on the way, www.elrefugiodepotosi.org It's fantastic!

Also contact Laura at the library/school in Barra and see if you can volunteer for the day, www.ninosencantados.com

You can also rent a kayak and tour the lagoon. The best place to eat is La Condessa which is the last restaurant on the right. Pancho will make sure you have a great day.

Edited: 14 July 2010, 14:48
Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Zihuatanejo
Level Contributor
3,743 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: any interesting day trips?

I agree- Bara de Potosi is a fun day. You could spend awhile in nearby Ixtapa & wander the hotel area, the beach, themarina area, and do some expensive shopping. You can also take bus or rent a car and venture about 45 minutes to Petetlan and see all the gold stalls surrounding the very beautiful church. It you really want to go somewhere, rent a car & take a drive to Patzcuaro- it's about 3 1/2 hours each way- so a really full day. Wonderful shopping. You might consider an overnight there which would allow you to explore some of the little towns around the lake, like Tzintzuzan and Quiroga.

However, I don't think you will get tired of Zihua in just 2 weeks. Most of us just can't get enough of it.

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: any interesting day trips?

I don't know if this is on the list or not but there are some great local taxi drivers who you can hire for a half day or more and they will show some fun local sites. . . we started with early morning arrival of the fishermen, then the market, then the road up to Amuleto, a tour of Club Intrawest and Hotel Irma, the hillside squatter areas, coconut processing, brick-making and finally, a short visit to Barra.

Long Island
Level Contributor
629 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: any interesting day trips?

Barra de Pottsi; Is this hard to get to? Very touristy? Who is Poncho?

Thanks for the ideas. For the overnight trip, should I make a hotel reservation or can you find one upon arrival and if not just turn it into a day trip? Also, would I have to worry about the rental car, a 3.5hr drive is a long way in a beater!

Long Island
Level Contributor
629 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: any interesting day trips?

Obsession,

these taxi drivers, where do you find them, or do you just ask any driver? What did this cost you? I love the idea.

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: any interesting day trips?

Hi, here's someone we met that we didn't use but I would use in the future:

http://www.ketavi.com/

The driver's name was Ulises and he was a great guy! If we wanted to go exploring, I would certainly hire him. I don't know about any of these other tour options. For another option, go to the Zihua message board (I can post the link if you can't find it) and search Carlos Garcia in the archives. He's the driver we used and he's very popular for private tours. He'll show you anything you want to see and he has a nice big air conditioned car.

Frankly, I don't remember what we paid.

Chicago
Level Contributor
23 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: any interesting day trips?

We recommend going to: SOLEDAD DE MACIEL ("LA CHOLE") It is an archeological site. La Chole was a cross roads for commerce that was discovered in the past several years. There is evidence of Mayan, Aztec, Olmec, Zapotec, & Toltec, civilizations. There were two adobe pyramids discovered recently. At the same location there is also a cactus that dates over 350 years old (great photo opportunity). Just take a taxi there. A must see.

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Zihuatanejo
Level Contributor
3,743 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: any interesting day trips?

Have never had any problems with rental cars. I don't recommend you use Budget at the Airport- there have been some problems. All others are fine. We have never made reservations & have always found great accomodations. Some right on the square & others, quite cheap, down some of the side streets.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
515 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: any interesting day trips?

2 weeks!!!??? Wow, I am in the minority but I would be bored stiff after that amount of time. 1 week is more than enough at a time.

And BTW, it's Hertz at the airport that is bad, supposedly Budget is fine.

Edited: 14 July 2010, 23:12
Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Zihuatanejo
Level Contributor
3,743 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: any interesting day trips?

Oh wow= I got that one wrong! So sorry. Yes, it is Hertz at the airport that has had some problems. Thanks for that very important correction.