We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things from home to bring for a month stay....

Which Zihuatanejo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary, AB
Level Contributor
180 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Things from home to bring for a month stay....

For those of you who do extended stays, is there anything that you can't get there that you make a point of bringing from home (eg. spices, etc.)?

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Zihuatanejo
Level Contributor
3,721 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things from home to bring for a month stay....

Depends what YOUR "can't live withouts" are. Some people bring penut butter- it's not the same here, but we find it ok. Pancake syrop is very different here, so if you love yours, you might want to consider it. Cereal with ultra high bran content is not really to found here...hubby has to have the one with psyllium- we have to bring it...but we are here for 8 months. For 1 month he would do without. Spices seem to all be here.

For the most part, you can get most things here, or at least something close that you are happy with. Again, for just a month (I know it seems like a long time but it will pass very quickly) you can probably find what you want or find something that you are content with. For 8 months...every year...that's a bit different, but every year we find something additional that we are happy with and bring less with us.

Hope this helps get your list started. Don't forget to leave room in your luggage for the stuff you will take back home with you!

Calgary, AB
Level Contributor
180 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things from home to bring for a month stay....

Wow Linda.....8 MONTHS! I'm envious! You're right.....our month will FLY by!

We're pretty adventurous, and I don't think there's much we don't like as far as food goes. I think the only thing I'll bring from home is a spice blend that I absolutely LOVE on fresh grilled fish.

With all the fabulous restaurants, I doubt that we'll do much cooking.

Winona, Minnesota
Level Contributor
642 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things from home to bring for a month stay....

We really miss horseradish- like it in bloody marys and cocktail sauce, and will bring a jar with us this year. I may also try to bring some butter (frozen to travel), because I really do not care for any that I have tried down there and we will be doing more cooking this year with our longer stay.

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
10,761 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things from home to bring for a month stay....

I always bring my own coffee...no matter what others tell you about the great coffee they found in Zihua...it all tastes bad to me...like floor dust!! I love my one brand...and I bring it!!

And I also bring a container of my favorite flavor of powderedcreamer...it isn't the same as the liquid...but it gives the flavor that i like! When it runs out I switch to Carnation which by then I can tolerate. Once in awhile I can find the "batter" that is like whipping cream at Comercial Mex...but most of the time there is just an empty spot...seems others are wanting it too!

I do bring peanut butter, like Linda mentioned...I like my Skippy with nuts in it...and haven't found any replacement for it in Z...those seem to have about 2 inches of oil at the top of the jar...

I used to bring along aged cheddar cheese...but Com Mex has gotten in enough kinds of cheese, that I can forget about that need anymore!

Bring along a couple of good books, read them and then look around for the exchange places...there are many places.

Bring along some good chocolate pieces...they are fun to leave along with your tip to the waiter, for the maid, etc...Chocolate wins friends!

If you like horseradish...bring a bottle of it along. I LOVE it on the Mexican bread and the Mexican ham sandwiches...can't find it anywhere in Zihua. Some people want it for their drinks, I don't, but you might!

Things have changed so much over the years that I have been in Zihua...it used to be so hard to get so many things...now with Comercial Mex, Waldo's, etc. just about everything has shown up. Dill pickles even!!

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things from home to bring for a month stay....

To each their own. I find the Coffee in the Mercado (third aisle in) very good & it is reasonable.

I often stay for 3 months or more not missing much. I take my I-pod loaded with music & old time radio shows, a DVD player with select disks but no longer haul my computer. I set up bill paying before I leave so no worries about security using public ones to check E-mail etc. I use a place of Marina Nacinal that only charges 5 pesos per hour so the cost is minimal.

Edited: 13 November 2010, 18:04
Ixtapa, Mexico
Level Contributor
732 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Things from home to bring for a month stay....

I bring my favorite potatoe peeler and knife. Good quality utensils are hard to find.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
81 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Things from home to bring for a month stay....

Bring little toys for kiddos you will meet in local shops. amd artisan malls or people you will meet at the basketball/volleyball court

. In Dever thrift shops I can buy packages of used toys (dolls, cars, plastic and stuffed animals, etc.). The littlest used plastic dinosaur to us is such a big deal to kids and parents there.

It is a win/win if you bring toys down.

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Zihuatanejo
Level Contributor
3,721 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Things from home to bring for a month stay....

Another idea- toys here, especially plastic stuff, is not expensive. Spend $20. locally and then give it all away. Save space in your luggage also. Win-win-win.

Calgary, AB
Level Contributor
180 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Things from home to bring for a month stay....

Good advice everyone! I'm definitely going to bring some horseradish and also perhaps some coffee. I'm VERY happy to hear I can buy dill pickles there.....I'm a bit addicted to dill pickles! :)

Linda, I left some money with a mutual friend last year to buy some toys for some of the local kids. We ran out of time to go and get anything ourselves, so it worked out GREAT! This year we might venture out ourselves and buy some things, otherwise we'll do as we did last year.

Do any of you bring school supplies (pencils, pens, etc.)? I still have a full week before leaving, so if there's anything I can bring that isn't as readily available there, I can go out and buy it. I'm planning to travel pretty light this trip, so anything that doesn't take up too much space in the luggage would be OK.

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
10,761 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Things from home to bring for a month stay....

It's what you will want to bring back home that will fill up all that space of the stuff you brought down. I love the creama (can't get it up north) and I also love the Yoplait mango yogurt...Yoplait only makes it for international destinations...go figure! Also the Activia yogurt with prunes is only Internationally made! And then there are those Emperador chocolate Cremoso cookies and the Marias Gamesa cookies!

Suitcase full yet??