We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zihua via Mexico City

Michigan
Level Contributor
652 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Zihua via Mexico City

First visit to Zihua for Christmas and also 1st time through Mexico City Airport. We're flying Delta from Detroit into MC and then connecting with Areomexico into ZIA (was supposed to be mexicana but well, you know). I believe Delta and Aeromexico have some sort of partnership/agreement.

Any idea if we will be rechecking our luggage or will it be checked through to Zihua. We have a 1 1/2 hour layover so not a ton of time and I don't want to slow down the process at all with confusion on our part.

Thanks.

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Zihuatanejo
Level Contributor
3,894 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Zihua via Mexico City

I am pretty sure that you will have to claim your luggage, clear customs, then re-check it. MC is your 1st point of entry, so customs will be required.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,946 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Zihua via Mexico City

+1 with Linda.

Keith

Michigan
Level Contributor
652 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Zihua via Mexico City

Thanks for the replies. I guess if we clear customs/immigration in MC we can be off and running once we hit Zihua. Do you think 1 1/2 hours is enough time to get through without too much stress????? Also, do Delta and Aeromexcio operate in the same terminal????

Thanks again.

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
9,347 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Zihua via Mexico City

There's airport info on the Pacific Forum page "Top Questions" that might help.

Michigan
Level Contributor
652 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Zihua via Mexico City

Thanks Alegre. I did google Mexico City Airport but couldn't find any info regarding airlines and terminals. I will take a look at the Pacific Forum.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Zihua via Mexico City

Delta and Aeromexico both operate from Terminal 2. I believe that if you do need to clear customs and immigration you just dump your bags right after customs (i.e. your bags are actually tagged all the way through). I have heard that in the case of short layover times the requirement to pass customs (although not immigration) is sometimes waived. The only way to know for sure is to contact your airline.

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Zihua via Mexico City

Is Aeromexico the same as Click? If so, you will most likely be going to the domestic terminal after you've claimed your luggage. We had 4 hours to connect from Mexicana (leaving from Chicago) to Click (going to Z) which was way too much time, of course, my recollection of the process is that 90 minutes should be fine. To kill time, we picked up some peso's at a cash machine in the MC airport and also changed into some lighter weight clothing It was very warm in the domestic terminal waiting for our flight to Z. And FYI, they announce those gates about 30 minutes before departure, you wait in a large general lounge.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Zihua via Mexico City

Click was part of Mexicana and neither exist any more. Both used Terminal 1.

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
11,124 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Zihua via Mexico City

Click was Mexicana...but is dead and gone!! But Mexicana is coming back according to the latest received today...early January, 2011.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g153445-i356-k4094…

Edited: 09 December 2010, 22:32
Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
11,124 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Zihua via Mexico City

Of course you know what Delta stands for?

Don't Expect Luggage To Arrive!!!

So good luck!!! Bad travel agent joke!!

Get answers to your questions about Zihuatanejo