We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sea Kayaking?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
227 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Sea Kayaking?

I'm going to be in Zihuatanejo next week and we would like to go sea kayaking. In researching, I've found tours for lagoon kayaking, but nothing for sea kayaking. Does anyone have any information about this, or is lagoon kayaking our only option?

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sea Kayaking?

Go to zihuatanejo.net & ask. Info there.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
13,187 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sea Kayaking?

I am not sure, but there MUST be a place on La Ropa that rents them.....I would be interested in the answer to this, as well.

Trail, Canada
Level Contributor
3,620 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sea Kayaking?

There are full time workers at three points along La Ropa , in high season at least , at para sailing hook up stations . These guys work together and have jet ski rentals banana boat rides and I'm sure they have kayaks and someone , possibly these same guys have small hobie style sailboats as well . They will bring you what you want or show you where to walk to in order to access the equipment you want . I don't know the extent of this operation in the quieter seasons . We've watched the parasail guys down by the Rossy restaurant so often I think I can pass my parasail operator certification exam , maybe even in spanish . The bay is usually quite calm for kayaking and an experienced kayaker could work along the south shore of the bay all the way out to Las Gatas for a drink and return . Enjoy

Seattle
Level Contributor
69 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sea Kayaking?

If you don't mind heading up to Troncones, Alejandro will take you from on a nice sea kayaking trip. He is very knowledgable. I have taken the trip up the river with him but not the sea kayaking trip.

http://www.tronconesecotours.com/tours.html

Troncones is about a 30 minute drive from Zihuatanejo. Enjoy!

Woodside
Level Contributor
629 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sea Kayaking?

You can usually rent kayaks on La Ropa Beach to tool around in the bay.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
13,187 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sea Kayaking?

Thanks....that is exactly what we were planning on doing, juan, kayaking over to Las Gatas one day. :)

Trail, Canada
Level Contributor
3,620 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sea Kayaking?

Rissak , if you can I would highly recommend trying a morning snorkel out along the same south shore route , staying 15 feet from shore or as far or close to the shore that seems safe to you . It appears to be quite a way but if you are just lazily swimming with fins while checking out a few fish here and there along the way and groups of eagle rays almost every day , sometimes groups of ten suspended in about 10 feet of water in March and December . The rays were usualy somewhere around half way out to the Las Gatas pier but sometimes as little as 25 feet from La Ropa . I would leave my towel and shoes with the morning man at the Rossy restaurant , the towel game if you choose , and then enter by the Gaviotas and work my way out . The beach in front of the Gaviotas and the main beach at Las Gatas are both used extensively by locals causing them to get silted pretty badly but if you can get there first thing in the morning when the bay is still calm and few people have arrived I think you will be pleasantly surprised by varied quality of the fish and the visibility . The rocks in front of the Intra West at the other end of La Ropa have yielded turtles and morays and eagle rays as well as sargeant majors and the usual little reef fish . You have to be close enough to these rocks to see fish but far enough away to avoid wave action on the rocks while always watching for boats . The intrawest is no problem for good swimmers and experienced snorkellers such as yourselves . I have been around to the Madera side of these rocks but wouldn't advise returning to shore on that side . Even children and poor swimmers can see something on the La Ropa side in very shallow water by edging towards the rocks in a safe manner in a depth they are comfortable with , including on your hands and knees . Two things that you most assuredly will see are puffer fish swimming and little rays half buried in the sand in 4 or 5 feet of water . I always remind parents and kids in that area to shuffle their feet to warn off sleeping rays . I don't know for sure if they can hurt you and I don't want to find out either . You could check my old posts on this same subject and they're probably identical to this one but while writing this one I was smiling and warm so who cares . I'm kinda old and repeat my favourite stories in real life too !

8. Re: Sea Kayaking?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2012, 22:18