We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zihuatanejo,La ropa beach

Which Zihuatanejo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Canada
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Zihuatanejo,La ropa beach

Has anyone been here recently? I am booked at the Catelina beach resort in March sure would like to hear about your trip. I am hoping that even if the hotel is just okay that the location will make it worth it.Thanks for any replies. S.Q>

Oregon
Level Contributor
366 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Zihuatanejo,La ropa beach

My husband and I are wanting to go there in October so we too would appreciate advice. I did send an E-Mail to them about construction(complaints on the web)and they said they were pretty much done and recommended the remodeled Vista Suites since we want privacy.

We think it is going to be great and new does not always mean better!(I manage a 100 year old resort)

BUT do want advice on where the clear snorkeling is and how to get there!

Santa Fe, New...
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Zihuatanejo,La ropa beach

We are returning to La Ropa Beach on Friday. This will be our third time there since November 2004. I don't know anything about Catelina beach resort, but I can tell you that La Ropa beach is beautiful, quiet, and very clean and the people are great. It has a good assortment of places to eat both low and high end. I would also definitely recommend going into town and visiting the mercado and the artists market.

We have been snorkling in 3 places, all accessible only by boat (which you can easily rent- with a captain- cheaply) Manzanilla beach, Ixtapa Island, and Las Gatas. All were fabulous. Manzanilla is incredible, remote, uncrowded, and you need to bring your own lunch if you want to eat. Ixtapa Island has excellent snorkeling and beautiful scenery, and it has nice places for lunch right on the beach. (Get here early for the best snorkling- it gets crowded in the afternoon.) Las Gatas has decent snorkeling and is a great place to hang out for the whole day. It has a row of restaurants on the beach and a fun, crowded, family atmosphere. It's a great place for kids.

One other thing you should definitely do is the sunset cruise on the trimeran Caliente. It's beautiful and fun and a great way to see the area from the water and if you get lucky, you might see whales! (we did).

Saint Cloud...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Zihuatanejo,La ropa beach

We returned from LaRopa yesterday. It is fabulous, as always. We have stayed at the Sotavento, Catalina, and this year Villa Mexicana (the next hotel down from Catalina). For people who want a "hotel" and all the amenities that go with that, most of the resorts on LaRopa are not for you. The three LaRopa hotels we have visited are in the two star range, and each in their own way quaint and delightful. The Catalina oozes charm and I would go back any day, but I would not recommend it for folks who enjoy the big, all inclusive style Mexican vacation. many folks like that, but as you have booked at Catalina I assume you are not in that category.

Lastly, a previous post mentioned construction noise. The construction on LaRopa is over and their is no noise whatsoever. A spectacular resort (Club Intrawest) has risen from where there was only a vacant hillside 4 years ago. The complaints of construction noise were from 2-3 years ago (and were exaggerated anyway). Get ready for a positively delightful experience on a lovely, relaxing beach

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
3 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Zihuatanejo,La ropa beach

We just returned to Minnesota (and our first big winter storm of the year!) on 3/12. La Ropa beach is simply wonderful. We spent one day there, and it had the nicest sand of all the beaches in Zihua; the others tend to be rocky and tough on the feet. I highly recommend parasailing; my partner did it and just loved it. Don't pay more than 20 pesos and tip the guys 50 pesos. We ate at the very first palapa as you enter the beach--very good food!

indiana
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Zihuatanejo,La ropa beach

We just returned from 8 days at the Catalina Beach Resort and if you stay in the top suites you will have construction noise above you. We stayed in #49, a Linda Vista suite and we had noise all day long. They are building a new reservation/lobby area. The noise did not really bother us because we spent most of the day on the beach. But if you tend to spend much time in your room, you may not be happy.

Canada
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Zihuatanejo,La ropa beach

Thank-you to all of you for your replies! I was so surprised to see them. I initially anxiously watched for an answer for the first week and as I did not see any I continued to search in other places....I was reassurred enough that my choice would be fine....and it turned out to be wonderful! My family and I were comfortable and so happy staying on La ropa beach at the Catalina! We loved the outdoor terraces, lounging in the hammocks , enjoying the gorgeous views and sunsets...it was a very relaxing, fun peaceful, delicious and stressfree holiday...I agree with you it is the most beautiful beach to visit in Zihua and there is more than enough to do for one week here and going out on easy day trips. I would come back here again next time we want a hot and laid back holiday. It was a great trip! Suelina.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Zihuatanejo,La ropa beach

can you rent beach chairs if your not staying on the beach?

Denver
Level Contributor
59 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Zihuatanejo,La ropa beach

You can rent chairs at La Perla (red and white umbrellas on La Ropa). You can also visit Patys and there is no charge if you are buying bevs or food. There is also a spot to rent between Villa Mexicana and Villa del sol, or further on just past La Perla. You can also rent out a palapa at Villa del Sol--very nice but expensive--$25USD/day pp. Everywhere else is about $3.00 USD. Enjoy

Get answers to your questions about Zihuatanejo