We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

spring 2012 trip. Zih or Troncones? looking for non-touristy

Which Zihuatanejo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
cleveland
Level Contributor
18 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
spring 2012 trip. Zih or Troncones? looking for non-touristy

Looking for 5 day getaway from midwest and toddlers with hubby spring 2012. Have considered Zih in the past as i've heard great things. started also hearing about Troncones as good alternative/off the beaten path. We are not surfers though. Active couple in early 30's looking for laid back with some optional activities, good food and most importantly authentic experience that is not touristy. nothing worse than toursity vacation. We are not looking for big chains, willing to trade some creature comforts for authentic experience away from crowds. not willing to forgoe good food though.

any recommendations? Vill Carolina is on the short list in Zih and Inn at Manzillo bay in Troncones.

also hubby is concerned about safety. any reason to be in this part of mexico?

Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,770 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: spring 2012 trip. Zih or Troncones? looking for non-touristy

Put Barra de Potosi on your list to research.

Just South 15 minutes from Zihuatanejo.

minn
Level Contributor
72 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: spring 2012 trip. Zih or Troncones? looking for non-touristy

You will have a lot more food options in Z as it is bigger than Troncones. We've never stayed in Troncones, but we do stay at the Catalina in Z. Love the location and the staff is wonderful. Have fun!

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: spring 2012 trip. Zih or Troncones? looking for non-touristy

Unless you are a surfer Barra de Potosi is a far better choice for a vacation then Troncones.

Now I always enjoy a day out two in Troncones but I could easily do a week in Potosi but for several months (which I do) Zihua is the place,

Seattle
Level Contributor
68 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: spring 2012 trip. Zih or Troncones? looking for non-touristy

Since it's only five days, any would suit your needs. I am a huge fan of Troncones. I go often and just got a surfboard so have not had surf pulling me back (though I love the ocean for swimming and boogie boarding). It is a small town. You can walk the beaches, swim in the pool (the Inn is great but you have options of private houses as well), and their are many restaurants. Wil, with Eco Tours lives there so you can always hire him for tours (though you can hire him out of Zihua or Barra as well). He can take you up in the mountains for the waterfalls or to a number of other unique spots. Have a great time. It's a special part of the world.

Eden Prairie, MN
Level Contributor
76 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: spring 2012 trip. Zih or Troncones? looking for non-touristy

Choose Z this time, you will not regret it. Five days is a quick get away. I recommend Z for your first time and then branching out to La Barra or Troncones the next visit. I am not a surfer but I prefer Troncones to La Barra, there are no mosquitoes. La Barra, because of the lagoon, has mosquitoes.

La Ropa is a great gentle beach for toddlers. There are many restaurants and activities in Z. Enjoy!

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,603 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: spring 2012 trip. Zih or Troncones? looking for non-touristy

I might get poo poo-ed for saying this....but especially with toddlers, I would stick to staying in Zihuatanejo at this time. I agree with the suggestion of staying on La Ropa beach, good for kids.

You will be pleasantly surprised by Zihua....it is nothing at all like Cabo or Cancun or even PV. No high rises or big chains or crowds of tourists. :)

Woodside
Level Contributor
629 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: spring 2012 trip. Zih or Troncones? looking for non-touristy

I think they are leaving the toddlers behind? If you like to swim in the ocean, Zihua is a better choice as the bay is very safe for swimming and kayaking or sailing on Hobees. Troncones can have bad rip tides.

Stay in Z at Villas Carolina: it is beautiful. You might want to rent a car to explore the coasts up and down (avoid Ixtapa, full of high rise hotels)

Spend one day up at Troncones and another in La Barra. You have many more restaurant choices in Zihua, but for only five days, you can feed yourselves well at a different place each night in Troncones as well.

Olympia, Washington
9 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: spring 2012 trip. Zih or Troncones? looking for non-touristy

My vote is for Zihua as I've stayed there in Hotel Las Palmas, right on the beach but still very minimal amount of guests, i.e. no vendors, no schedule, just R&R and deciding what good food to eat. Restaruant right on the premises and you feel like you're a king or queen. Peaceful and by car, it seemed only about 10 or so minutes from downtown Zihua, so you could go to town if you want. Good Luck. (this B&B is on Playa Blanca & you practically have the beach to yourself)

Woodside
Level Contributor
629 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: spring 2012 trip. Zih or Troncones? looking for non-touristy

Las Palmas is indeed beautiful and you will end up staying there all the time, if that is what you wish. But, really midget81, a 10 minute cab ride? More like 30 to 40 minutes from Zihuatanejo Centro.

If you are looking for a more diverse experience, then stay at Villa Carolina and enjoy all that diversity of being in Zihuatanejo.

If you are looking for a quiet getaway,,then La Palmas is an excellent choice. both are gorgeous B& B's.

Edited: 26 November 2011, 09:40
Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: spring 2012 trip. Zih or Troncones? looking for non-touristy

I always spend at least a day in Petatlan with it's Gold Market, Unique White Church & Jesus Negra said to preform miracles by many. A lovely town square, shops & residentials. I often wander it's quaint streets having a most peaceful day.

Get answers to your questions about Zihuatanejo