We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Current Safety Conditions

Which Zihuatanejo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, Washington
2 posts
Save Topic
Current Safety Conditions

We were just notified that the place we planned to stay in Zihu this November is closing because of a threat of violence made to the owner.

What is the current situation in Zihua? Trying to decide if we should change our plans.

A bit concerned over the recent violence.

Has anyone been to Zihua recently?

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Current Safety Conditions

With the owner of the place that you were staying, probably not so good. He may have a beef with his partners. That does not make it a city wide alert? No. What recent violence are you referring to?? I do believe as a tourist, you are a very low target on the list of bad guys that have a totally different agend than taking your Nikon Camera, and Debit card.

Edited: 16 October 2011, 01:58
Winona, Minnesota
Level Contributor
642 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Current Safety Conditions

Not quite sure of who exactly has been targeted, but apparently the new tactic of the gang/cartels has been extortion of business owners (not just in I/Z either).

3. Re: Current Safety Conditions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 16 October 2011, 12:10
4. Re: Current Safety Conditions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 16 October 2011, 12:10
Edited: 16 October 2011, 12:10
Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Zihuatanejo
Level Contributor
3,745 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Current Safety Conditions

Please scroll down and read some of the threads regarding this topic. We arrived here in Zihua on Sept. 10 and will be here until the end of May. I have responded to several similar questions within the past 3-4 weeks and I think you will find the answers you are wanting in some of those replies. Happy scrolling.

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
10,797 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Current Safety Conditions

Extortion has been going on for many years in many areas of Mexico...and it will keep on happening. When you are paying, and run out of money, time to get out of Dodge!

Restaurants, stores and property owners like condos and hotels are asked for this fee. Doesn't mean they are involved at all in the drug trade as Don_Kom suggests...just means that they know that the owner has money...and is then extorted.

Many of my friends drive old cars, keep a low profile just to keep down the extortion payments. This isn't just in Zihuatanejo...it is happening all over Mexico now. Just a way of life, they say.

Sask
Level Contributor
206 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Current Safety Conditions

Bernadena, can I ask what place you where supposed to be staying?

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Zihuatanejo
Level Contributor
3,745 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Current Safety Conditions

Extortion to restaurants and hotels is alive and well in most countries. Why would Mexico be any different?

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
515 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Current Safety Conditions

"Extortion to restaurants and hotels is alive and well in most countries. Why would Mexico be any different?"

So that's makes it ok, or am I reading your post wrong?

According to business owners in Playa the talk of extortion towards business owners is just that, talk on the boards. But don't let facts get in the way of a good E-argument.

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Zihuatanejo
Level Contributor
3,745 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Current Safety Conditions

For sure you are mis-interpreting what I said. I am just saying that the extortion problem exists everywhere....that is nothing new and no reason to stay away from Zihua. Of course it is NOT alright. Also, here in Zihua, it is not just board talk. It IS happening. That is not to say that nothing is being done about it, but there are not simple or fast solutions to crimes like these.

For me, I am not remotely interested in any kind of argument...E or otherwise.

In spite of everything that has been said and in spite of the conditions in Zihua or anywhere else, we continue to enjoy our winters in Zihua and our summers in Canada...with some overseas travel crammed in for good measure. My advise stands...if anyone is planning to visit Zihua, come and enjoy your stay. The people in this area remain to be some of the most gracious and kind folks you would ever want to meet.