We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just Back, Wonderful Trip to Zihua! Short Trip Report.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
13,603 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Just Back, Wonderful Trip to Zihua! Short Trip Report.

What a great place....as usual!

But WOW it was quiet....I know it is still low season but everyone told us it was quieter than usual at this time. I sure hope it picks up for everyone.

We stayed at La Casa Que Vel El Mar...google 'Marlin House'. Amazing place! Dee and Mike were wonderful gracious hosts...we arrived to fresh flowers in three rooms, a fridge stocked with beer and pop and even wine and tequila!

And what gorgeous views from their beautiful condo, just great. Two wonderful infinity pools and there is an elevator....and the climb down the stairs to the street is an easy one.

On our previous trips to the area we stayed at Ixtapa at the Dorado Pacifico, the Hotel Irma and the Brisas del Mar on Playa Madera. This was our first time staying on La Ropa and I could not decide if I liked it better than staying on Madera or not! Both have pros and cons. I was happy we decided on La Ropa for THIS trip, however, as there is fairly major street work going on on Adelita, though. But we still made it to La Casa Vieja for a great meal one night. The ribs and the conchinita pibil were as good as ever.

The pros of staying on La Ropa were the quiet and proximity to a better beach....but a major con was having to take taxis everywhere. The views are equally as great at both...although sunsets are better above La Ropa.

Other great meals besides La Casa Vieja were at Mi Chayito, Coconuts, Los Braseros, Mama Norma y Deborahs in Ixtapa, Nardos, the pizza place behind Bomberos at the top of the hill (thanks to a very nice Alaskan lady we met at Mi Chayito *wink*)...Il Mare (WOW!)...La Perla, Elviras...and more! Not a single bad meal.

Since the deep sea fishing was still iffy we decided to go inshore fishing up by Playa Linda....we had a great day with Francisco and Juan on the Huntress and caught many bonita (fun!), a couple of Sierra Mackeral and some chula..tok the fish to Isla Ixtapa where they made a wondeful ceviche and cooked up a bunch.

The guys went with Adolfo 'the rooster king' on the Dos Hermanos last Friday and caught 2 nice roosters and many BIG (30 pounds or so) Jack Crevalles, and had another great day.

Weather was PERFECT....about 30C for highs every day and maybe down to 20 C at night....just perfect. Sunny and clear and just a little breeze..... every single day the same....almost boringly perfect.

One new thing we did was head up to the Parthenon to explore and take photos.....very interesting!

We will be back! Not this year but soon.....we love Zihua.....it is a very special place. Come visit! The city is CLEAN and they are waitng for you. :)

Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,730 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just Back, Wonderful Trip to Zihua! Short Trip Report.

cool...cant wait to see your pics from this trip riss.

BC
Level Contributor
4,962 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just Back, Wonderful Trip to Zihua! Short Trip Report.

"I was happy we decided on La Ropa for THIS trip, however, as there is fairly major street work going on on Adelita"

Which end of Adelita is having work done, or is it the entire street? Is it jackhammers going on all day?

thanks

Woodside
Level Contributor
630 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just Back, Wonderful Trip to Zihua! Short Trip Report.

Ris, thanks for that great report. My condo is right above Mike and Dee's (you can see why I love it!) and you can't beat the sunset views from there.

I am so glad the weather cooperated for you.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,855 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just Back, Wonderful Trip to Zihua! Short Trip Report.

Sounds great! I think this has been asked before, but does the Calle Adelita construction impact the Hotel Irma?

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Zihuatanejo
Level Contributor
4,028 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just Back, Wonderful Trip to Zihua! Short Trip Report.

Thanks for taking the time to write an excellent trip report. So glad that you had a wonderful visit....next time let's meet.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
6,118 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just Back, Wonderful Trip to Zihua! Short Trip Report.

Rissask,

Thanks for the report!!

Did you have any problems catching cabs at the condo this year?

Keith

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
13,603 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just Back, Wonderful Trip to Zihua! Short Trip Report.

Thanks everyone!

And thanks for all of your VERY valuable tips and insights before we left...always appreciated. :) And yes, I am always up for a meet and greet, Linda!

I think the Hotel Irma and the Brisas del Mar and Casa Adriana, Bungalows la Madera, Casa Sun and Moon and others on that first oceanfront street in 'front' of Adelita would be just fine to stay at.....we passed by the Irma and it was all good there, from the looks of it.

And it was all good at La Casa Vieja and even Nardos too....yes there was some street torn up near Nardos but it was no big deal....I would not worry about it if we were booked to stay near there at all, really. :) It's not like they are going to be making noise at night while you are trying to sleep or anything.

Sorry pumpermum I honestly was not really paying attention to what part of the street was having work done....it was dark when we went to Nardos and I really did not pay much attention, and it was only the one night.

Mizsic- I actually spoke to the young couple who were staying in your place! Yes, GORGEOUS complex. Loved it! Preciosa also looked stunning. Can't go wrong with either of them.

Keith- we had no problems whatsoever catching a cab. We would either get a guard to call for one down where they are waiting on that road to Patys and Elviras, or just mosey on down to the road and wait for one to come by...I don't think we ever waited longer than 5 minutes at most. And we arranged for a cab ride to the airport the day before and he was there right on time. Those Sentras sure have a LOT of trunk space...all four of us and our luggage fit fine.

Fares were 35-40 pesos anywhere in town and 240 back to the airport.

Mike picked us up at the airport and we did not notice any nasty looks from the guys there. That timeshare shark 'gauntlet' is nothing compared to PVs! Piece of cake! :)

Edited: 12 December 2011, 15:56
Minnesota
Level Contributor
6,118 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just Back, Wonderful Trip to Zihua! Short Trip Report.

Rissask,

Glad everything was a breeze for ya!!

And thanks again for all of your Participation!!!!!!

Keith

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
13,603 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just Back, Wonderful Trip to Zihua! Short Trip Report.

Thanks, Keith. :)

If only the area had better diving....we would never have to go anywhere else....it is pretty much perfection!!

Zihuatanejo
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Just Back, Wonderful Trip to Zihua! Short Trip Report.

Hey Guys, Thank you for a great report and a special thanks for staying with us this trip. We try to make your arrival, and stay with us at La Casa Que Ve Al Mar a memoriable experience no matter whether it is your first trip or you are returning because you love the area. next time, we will take you diving down at the Manzanello Rocks if it isn't windy from the West. Our Capt. Francisco, the Captain of the Huntress, prides himself on providing a quality offshore or inshore fishing experience for his customers and will always let you know if the fish are biting offshore (Or Not). We did find a Samsung charger when you left and will send it to you or hold on to it for your return. Your choice. The weather continues to be perfect, The sunsets are still spectactular, The Locals are wonderful as always and snow is never in the forcast. Hope to see you soon again. If you didn't find that special soccer jersey, let us know and we'll keep an eye out.

Get answers to your questions about Zihuatanejo