We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggested Airlines

Which Zihuatanejo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
192 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Suggested Airlines

Any advice on comfortable flights from nyc to zihua?

winneconne,wi
Level Contributor
278 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggested Airlines

try united/continental out of newark.

Dallas, Tx
Destination Expert
for Zihuatanejo
Level Contributor
1,539 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggested Airlines

I agree with capwi and you will change planes in Houston. IAH is an easy airport to navigate through and it's easy to go through Imigration/Customs on the way back.

3. Re: Suggested Airlines

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 December 2011, 19:30
Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggested Airlines

Ted,

Right on, looks like the NYC to MEX is the way to go. GG has done it again, why would anyone want to go thru that Zoo called Houston unless it was the ONLY way to go?

See you next year!

winneconne,wi
Level Contributor
278 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggested Airlines

ted61, I checked before I answered. Newark is a very easy airport to reach from the city and the flight does change in Houston.

Edited: 26 December 2011, 19:22
Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
10,763 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggested Airlines

Ted...what you are forgetting is that sites like Cheap Tickets just makes up routes...does not mean they are the best...just to sell tickets. Going from airline to airline and changing in Mexico city is not always a good idea...miss a fight, being delayed, etc. will result in you being alone in your hep to find an airline replacement...

Take Gary's advice...use ONE airline...have that on one ticket...and that airline then is responsible for both you and your suitcase.

Delta works...as does Continental. Changing in any USA city is easier than it is in Mexico City... Travel sites can be a real problem for fliers who are not familiar with flying, changing planes, languages, etc...and who are they?? Where are they when you get dumped in a foreign airport??

Stick to Continental...or Delta...try not to mix with AeroMexico if you can avoid it.

Edited: 26 December 2011, 20:28
Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,712 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggested Airlines

chefmkon,

I have also found U.S. Air though Phoenix an easy flight.

As with flights through Houston, I would advise 1 1/2 hours layover so that you have time for a bite on the way down, and to clear immigration and customs on the way back.

As always, if you can find yourself a non-stop, that is always the way to go IMO. Worth the extra ching just for the convenience factor.

Keith

P.S. I just checked Kayak.com. I would suggest the AeroMexico flights out of JFK

Edited: 26 December 2011, 20:43
winneconne,wi
Level Contributor
278 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggested Airlines

JFK can be a real pain to get to from the city if that is where they live.

Edited: 26 December 2011, 21:01
Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,649 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggested Airlines

It's always interesting to read others views on airports. I have been through Houston to Mexico about 6-7 times in the last three years, including just two days ago coming back from Zihuatanejo, and find it to be easy to navigate and have not experienced any delays. OTOH, I had a few nightmare flights through Phoenix!

Continental may be playing some games with fares/flights to Zihuatanejo -- we had our flight changed twice, and the plane ended up being an Embraer 145 (small), and it wasn't even full. I know a few others who have had Continental flights to Zihuatanejo changed after booking. It may be due to the merger, or perhaps a lack of paying customers headed to Mexico, causing them to try and consolidate flights.

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
1,623 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Suggested Airlines

Judy, I used cheaptickets .com only as an example. If you take the time to read my complete post you will see that I recommended to go to "one of the travel sites", I did not specify that they go to cheaptickets. If you go directly to Continental's site you will find (depending on dates, which weren't specified in the question) that they are not currently offering “one stop" flights through Houston from LaGuardia, Kennedy or Newark. In fact, while Kennedy does go to Houston, it stops in Washington first and I believe the original posted asked for a "comfortable" flight which to my way of thinking would not include a 2 stop flight. But rather than us split hairs over it, again I recommend that original poster got to "one of the travel sites" or contact a knowledgeable travel agent.

I personally have experience problems when connecting in Houston and do all I can to avoid it while having good experience going through Mexico City. I have also had good experiences with Aero Mexico and bad ones with Continental as I'm sure that others have experienced just the opposite.

As for using Delta, most of their flights leaving Kennedy, LaGuardia or Newark all go through either LA or Minneapolis and take are from 22-24 hours in duration, again a minimum of 2 stops. But then I believe the poster already knew this and that was the reason for asking if some knew of a "comfortable” flight.

Get answers to your questions about Zihuatanejo