We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Atm

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
192 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Atm

Is there a maximum amount that can be withdrawn from the atm at the airport or at any scotia bank?

BC
Level Contributor
4,327 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Atm

Scotiabank usually has a 3000 pesos limit per transaction.

Vancouver, Canada
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Atm

Pumpermum is right, the Scotiabank ATMs have a 3000 peso limit.

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Zihuatanejo
Level Contributor
3,827 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Atm

The withdrawl limit is set by the bank/account that you are taking the money from. You can check with your bank about what your limit is, and ask to increase it if you like. I take 10,000 pesos at a time (since I live here) from Scotiabank, or any other ATM. My limit is set by BMO where I am taking the money FROM.

Trail, Canada
Level Contributor
3,494 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Atm

I can't speak from personal experience about the airport machine or with confidence about other Scotiabank ATM's , although I've used them over the years , but I seem to remember that a senior contributor to this board withdraws closer to twice that much cash from Scotiabank ATM's . The maximum may reflect a person's own daily limit . I routinely withdraw 6000 pesos from Satander banks for the small bills , when I can , and any other convenient bank ATM if required . If we will need more cash than one maximum withdrawl will cover then I make a withdrawl from another account or my wife will make her maximum daily withdrawl from the first account as well . Please be happy always ! Linda beat me to the punch

Edited: 28 April 2012, 14:07
Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Atm

check your daily limit and have them raise it if necessary

Dallas, Tx
Destination Expert
for Zihuatanejo
Level Contributor
1,543 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Atm

Linda from Canada is correct. Have your bank set whatever limit you want. When using an ATM there will be a screen that has fixed amounts to chose from. Hit the "Other" button and enter the amount you want.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
192 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Atm

All great tips. Thank you

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Zihuatanejo
Level Contributor
3,827 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Atm

This issue of daily limit is a common misconception. Many people, even those who are here long term every winter, often are limited to 3000 pesos per withdrawl because they don't understand the system. Some people even take cash from their credit cards, not realizing that interest is charged as of the time of the withdrawl, and when you make your payment to the credit card, c harges are re-paid first, and cash advances are re-paid last, maximizing the interest for the bank or credit card company. The homework just has to be done if we are going to function to our best advantage. Those charges can really add up.

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
10,991 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Atm

The most important thing to do with your account and your bank is to set up a special amount that you will be taking out...an odd number...so that if your card is compromised...and they hit on a number and it is rejected...then the second number it is rejected...they will get nothing.

Safety experts have warned against using even numbers like this for a long time...always pick a weird odd amount...doesn't matter whether it is in pesos or dollars...as the security department at your financial institution will see that number coming thru...and any other number will be rejected. And always go below a typical big number that bad people will try to go for...

Set up two withdrawals a day for that set amount if you are a big spender.

10. Re: Atm

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 01 May 2012, 18:21
Get answers to your questions about Zihuatanejo