We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

La Ropa or La Madera??

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
La Ropa or La Madera??

I know I can search for this info... But since the forum is a little slow I figured a little beach\hotel debate might be fun!

I'm using my free West Jet Flights and heading back to Zihuatanejo, likely in Nov. I had 2 glorious weeks in Ixtapa last Feb/Mar but this time I want to be on the beach in Zihua. I like the sound/look of both the Irma and the Catalina. The Irma is the cheapest at $48 per night... Catalina about dbl for a bungalow with a/c. Soooo experts... Is La Ropa that much better a beach? I like the easy stroll from the Irma to town, but also love the easy stroll to beach restaurants on La Ropa. Both hotels have great reviews; Catalina appears to have a better deal on in-house drinks/food and fridges in room.....

Anyone know if the little Casitas at the Catalina have a breeze at all (no a/c)? I'm fairly sure Nov is pretty hot...

I highly doubt I'll be disappointed in either hotel/beach!

I appreciate all of your input! Trip planning... So much fun!!

Cheers

SG

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: La Ropa or La Madera??

one more wee thing... does the Irma have umbrella's\palapa's on the beach??

League City, Texas
Level Contributor
179 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: La Ropa or La Madera??

I like the atmosphere better at Madera, but as for activities/food/drink, La Ropa is the better beach. Madera is also much smaller.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,752 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: La Ropa or La Madera??

I also vote for Madera over La Ropa but it's been a while since we were last there.

MN
Level Contributor
113 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: La Ropa or La Madera??

The Irma does not have a beach, just a pool. Catalina is where we stay and we love it, but the steps can be an issue for some people. There are, if memory serves me right, 233 steps from the beach to the hotel lobby. The restaurand and bar are 1/3 to 1/2 way up. The first year we were there we stayed in the small casita, but the sound of the waves and Mr. Kitty calling at 5 AM were too much for me, so now we stay in a suite. The beach at the Catalina is fantastic, lots of palapas and close to great restaurants. A little further from town, but still walkable.

Saskatoon
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: La Ropa or La Madera??

I prefer Madera as well. Price point is a biggie...there is no charge for a table and chairs arrangement anywhere I have been on Madera and there always (it seems) on La Ropa. Oh, and I find booze cheaper on Madera and way better and quicker service. La Ropa is normally quite crowded as well. Although I haven't stayed at the Irma I have heard it's a real nice place. I stay at Caracol for about $42 a night, beautiful well kept pool and garden, incredible roof top terrace, restaurant/bar with a perfect view of the bay and sunset and Josep is a superb host! La Casa Bonita looks terrific, (I have friends who stay there).

Minnesota
Level Contributor
6,038 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: La Ropa or La Madera??

When you return from this one, I will be interested in if you missed the Ixtapa views Vs the Zihua views.

Two different worlds a cab ride apart!

Keith

Trail, Canada
Level Contributor
3,682 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: La Ropa or La Madera??

La Ropa ! We always stay and spend our days at the other end of La Ropa and sit at the Rossy for free all day long . Service is great in two ways . If you want anything , flag down a waiter and your own waiter will come to see you . If you don't feel like consuming too much at any given moment the waiter will not pester you to do so . The actual walking distance from the Irma's front entrance up to the Catalinas front entrance is not that far and we almost always cab back at night anyway . We love going to town but very rarely do so between breakfast and dinner , preferring the beach , so that is a small factor for us . La Ropa ! I think that there may be different lodging options at either area for competetive prices to consider as well , although they may be more difficult to find . Cheers

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: La Ropa or La Madera??

Thanks for all of your replies! Price point is a biggie - So Irma is at the top of the list right now. I will miss having a dedicated palapa area, but like the restaurants close by - and it will drive me to get out and check out other beach spots too!

Keith - I know I will miss the sights and sounds of Playa Palmar, but am excited to stay in Zihua this time!

UNITED STATES
Level Contributor
3,100 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: La Ropa or La Madera??

HI Snow girls...I sent you a reply to your pm...

Will post a bit here for others that may be interested in planning their future trip...

The beach to Irma below (La Madera) is 80 steps below . There are Umbrella's around the pools at the irma and a great wait staff...the beach below there are umbrellas that you "rent' from the restaraunts by buying a beer or a taco. both great and both cheap. We migrated between the pool at the Irma and the beach below but we also walked or taxi'd over to LaRopa (yes a better beach) and hung out as mentioned above at Rossi's and other cool restartants on that stretch of beach. That area is lovely and great prices at the beach dining during the day etc...

We really did like the Irma location in general tho for many reasons...one we like to walk to breakfast some days instead of eating at the hotel irma and they were close by and so good and yummy and we loved walking into town at night and there are two routes...one the "boardwalk" from the beach below or via the street. Both were a quick walk to town vs a taxi ride from say a hotel in the La Ropa area...

For me...I'd go with price because you can always "go" and hang out at LaRopa or even Las Gatas for the day with a quick walk, a taxi ride or a water taxi ride etc....so many places to go an hang out...

Good luck w/ your research...have a great time!!

PS..if your heart is set on "being on the beach' villa Mexican really is...and theya re a sister property of Hotel Irma..if the occupancy is low you are allowed to visit the other and use their facilities...pool, bathrooms etc...

Bonita Springs...
Level Contributor
2,135 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: La Ropa or La Madera??

Totally agree with Maryann. Just remember, whether you pay $50 a night or $500, you get the same sun, the same temp, the same ocean and the same freindly people and town with all that it has to offer. I'd rather save on a place where we spend mainly sleeping hours and spread around a little more money enjoying the total surroundings For those that are interested in is 5 star accomodations, that can be had any place.

Get answers to your questions about Zihuatanejo