We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Location choice

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
58 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Location choice

Planning first visit to Zihua and would like a hotel/B&B on the best beach and convenient for walking to evening dinner. Experienced solo lady traveler and fluent in Spanish, always looking for the prime spot!

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Zihuatanejo
Level Contributor
3,790 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Location choice

I would suggest that you consider Casa Adriana on La Madera...5 minute stroll into centro...kitchens on beautiful balconies with a view of the bay that is spectacular....great sunsets from your balcony. Down the stairs you will be on Playa Madera...a very nice beach. You can contact Lucy at casa_adriana@yahoo.com She speaks excellent English.

If you would like a larger, busier beach, then La Ropa would be your choice. You can walk to centro, but it's about a 20-25 minute walk. There are buses, but they stop between 6 & 7pm. Of course you can always take an inexpensive taxi. There you could stay beach level at Bungalows Vepao or Villa Mexicana, as well as several others. There are also many good beach front restaurants on this beach.

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Location choice

Agree with Linda

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,682 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Location choice

The Hotel Irma on Madera or the Hotel Brisas del Mar are also two other great hotels on Madera. Brisas has the better beach access, both have pools and onsite restaurants and amazing views.

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
316 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Location choice

While there is nothing wrong with Casa Adriana, it is NOT a hotel or a B&B. I would strongly suggest Hotel Brisas Del Mar. It is lovely, the amenities are great, the price is reasonable, it has lounge chairs on the beach and around the pool, a great onsite restaurant and a perfect location. It is walking distance to both the restaurants in the La Madera area and a short walk to downtown and all it has to offer in dining and shopping.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,793 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Location choice

Please be aware that Hotel Brisas Del Mar has lots of steps.

(as will be the case with many hillside La Ropa properties to and from the beach)

I mention this once in awhile, as not everyone can do 30-40 steps up and down to and from the room every day.

Keith

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Location choice

The poster asked for suggestions on "the best beach." I would never say that about La Madera. You might want to look at some properties on LaRopa, too.

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Location choice

All the above are good choices. Not a mistake in the bunch.

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Zihuatanejo
Level Contributor
3,790 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Location choice

actually, Casa Adriana IS a hotel...just not the type with restaurants, etc.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,682 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Location choice

My husband and a buddy stayed at Casa Adriana on a fishing trip and they LOVED it there! Very friendly managers and lovely views. The only downside was the lack of a pool, they felt.

La Ropa might be the better beach, it's true, BUT they also wanted:

"convenient for walking to evening dinner"

and that is staying on Playa Madera, hands down. Much more conveniently located. :)

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
11,713 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Location choice

We've stayed at both Casa Adriana and Hotel irma and I'd vote for the Irma..why? because of the pool and the ability to meet other travellers easily while at the hotel. Lucy is greaat and the Adriana is closer to town but cabs are cheap. the Irma has more stairs and it's a bit further to walk into town but it would get my vote. In fact we're heading back there for a few nights next January.