We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zihuatanejo Beach selection on which to "chill out"

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Zihuatanejo Beach selection on which to "chill out"

I'm 65, looking to escape the cold for 3-6 weeks starting in late December or early January. I'm looking for a beach on which I can walk... read... swim in warm water... wander down the beach to a couple of simple restaurants to enjoy a beer or two, some tequila and seafood without being hassled by aggressive vendors. I have no desire to "party".

My question is where to go? My preliminary reading directs me towards Playa Larga, Playa Blanca or Playa La Ropa. I'd prefer to be in a small hotel with an English speaking host, or rent a small "villa" on the beach. Cost is not a major factor; ambiance is.

All suggestions appreciated.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Zihuatanejo Beach selection on which to "chill out"

Mark,

Any of the three should suit.

La Ropa is the most in-town of your picks, while the seven or so miles of beach that connect your other two areas will be a bit isolated if that is what you are looking for.

As for swimming either La Ropa (which is in Zihuatanejo bay) or the south end by Barra de Potosi will be your best bets unless you are an open ocean experienced swimmer. (depending on the surf of course).

Several small eateries in the Potosi area so the closer you stay South the less of a walk, and none North of Potosi except at the couple of places you may be looking at to stay.

The busiest beach in your time-frame will be La Ropa since that is dead center of the Season. There will be some vendor activity there, but not like the P.V. or Mazatlan variety. Several eateries on La Ropa to choose from.

More condos to choose from than hotels on La Ropa.

Keith

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Zihuatanejo Beach selection on which to "chill out"

ALL are good But do not rule out Playa Madera with lots of small, but nice Inns/hotels. Sand is darker because of erosion of Volcanic rock on one end of the beach. Most gentle slope of any of the beaches making it easy in/out.

For day trips Las Gatos is a excellent choice but a short boat ride across the bay.

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Zihuatanejo Beach selection on which to "chill out"

PS Barra de Potosi is a wonderful place but it shuts down all most entirely at sundown.

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Zihuatanejo
Level Contributor
3,806 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Zihuatanejo Beach selection on which to "chill out"

I think La Ropa is for you. Everyone does their morning beach walk on La Ropa- long enough for a good walk, and basically flat. Very quiet during mornings and evenings- a family beach during the days. However, once the kids go back to school in early January, it will be much less busy during the day. It is never really CROWDED because it is a big beach.

To stay- again, please see my recommendations on this forum for Casa Adriana- in La Madera at the end of a dead end street. All units look out onto the ocean with kitchens on the balconies. Lucy speaks excellent English and is an adorable hostess. There are only 15 units (ask about #'s 14 & 15 since they were new just last year), so it is always quiet. The beach just down some steps, Playa Madera, would also suit your beach needs, although La Ropa is a nice walk, bus or taxi ride away. No reason not to spend some days on each beach.

If

Trail, Canada
Level Contributor
3,430 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Zihuatanejo Beach selection on which to "chill out"

We like La Ropa . I see many single retired guys doing just as you describe . There are regulars at the Rossy beach bar that are given regular status and often purchase little for their free shade any given day in trade for steady daily income . Many of these folks migrate daily from cheaper lodgings in town or closer to La Madera , some with backpack style beach chairs and coolers . We are nodding aquaintances with lots of other beach walkers who you see daily and may stop to chat once in a while . I would book a week and look around once you are there for what appeals to you . It is high season but many places that will be available are small family run businesses with no websites or even effective phone contacts because they are out cleaning rooms . We stay at El Arca de Noe . Cheers tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g153445-d1738985…

Trail, Canada
Level Contributor
3,430 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Zihuatanejo Beach selection on which to "chill out"

Even in the highest season when there are more vendors they are very respectful and may ask you every single time if you might like to buy a bracelet but they go away with a single , nada , and not even a NADA . Some of them have baked goods and fresh cheese that you might look forward to . Even the bracelet salesgirls get to know you and will just nod after a while and time share salesmen are very scarce . All good

Woodside
Level Contributor
629 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Zihuatanejo Beach selection on which to "chill out"

I actually appreciate the hardworking vendors. The baubles cost very little and you can learn a bit about these folks and their lives as you haggle. Many times, your purchase helps to keep a kid in school.

You might also want to onsider a small condo: that is often a nice way to meet

Try VRBO or Flipkey...but stay away from just one lister: mexiovactionrentals.com.mx.

Harriet

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Zihuatanejo
Level Contributor
3,806 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Zihuatanejo Beach selection on which to "chill out"

El Arca de Noe is an excellent choice if you would like to be near La Ropa. Noe is a wonderful man. Juanrojo- I didn't realize you stayed there. Good choice. I am sure that I must be one of the folks who say hi on morning beach walks.

UNITED STATES
Level Contributor
2,875 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Zihuatanejo Beach selection on which to "chill out"

I too enjoy the vendors on the beach. I am headed back in 8 days and am have printed out pix of many of them that I took in march 2012 and will give them to them. Many times I don't want to buy any more trinkets etc...but do want some pix as a souvenier and polietly ask if I can take their photo or pix of say an armload of braclets and then give them a buck or two.

As far as a cool place to stay we booked a place at the condo complex Casa Que Ve al Mar via VRBO....not right on the beach but scout them out and I think you might see that it's what you mentioned in your orginal post. 4 min walk to the beach and outstanding views.

here is one example.

ttp://www.vrbo.com/92386

good luck with your research...3 weeks in Zihua or it's area...good for you. That is fantastic!

Edited: 12 November 2012, 21:28
Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Zihuatanejo Beach selection on which to "chill out"

Those who think Playa La Ropa is over run with peddlers has never been to Playa Los Muertos in Puerto Vallarta. You have more venders there in 5 minutes than all day on any beach in Zihua,. That is a fact!

Get answers to your questions about Zihuatanejo