We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jelly Fish

Which Zihuatanejo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
155 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Jelly Fish

If there are any Jelly Fish that frequent the waters in this area, does anyone know what time of year and specific areas if at all ?

Thanks

Dallas, Tx
Destination Expert
for Zihuatanejo
Level Contributor
1,539 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jelly Fish

Jelly fish are not too common in the area and appear at Mother Nature's will. When they are there it will be everywhere along the beach's.

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jelly Fish

I've seen years that they are heavy, others nary a one. I am told weather, wind & tide all are a factor.

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
155 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jelly Fish

OK, thanks for the responses. It seems there are not regular occurrences in this area, as in other parts of the world - - I understand. Thanks again.

Northern Minnesota
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Jelly Fish

Are there small sting rays along the beaches this time of year? I saw a tourist stung by one in Melaque January of last year. Ouch.

Monument, Colorado
Level Contributor
799 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Jelly Fish

The last week of January 2012, there were MANY small rays visible not far from shore and riding the waves in Ixtapa. It was easy to see them all along the beach. Several tourists were reportedly stung on the feet. Most likely from accidentaly stepping on them verses any sort of "attack". I have some pics and a lousy video somewhere. It was rather interesting to see groups of them "body surfing" along the crest of the waves just as the wave curls over. I wouldn't worry.

Edited: 22 January 2013, 01:35
Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
155 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jelly Fish

Thanks for the responses !!

Trail, Canada
Level Contributor
3,392 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jelly Fish

There are a number of ray species always present in area waters . The smaller variety like to snooze half buried in the sand in 4 or 5 feet of water or about where an adult starts to bob their way into the water . There are big signs on Florida beaches advising swimmers to shuffle their feet to warn the ray of your arrival and they will flee as they want nothing to do with you . I have seen many in the area below the Intra West resting in this manner . Anyone who has walked La Ropa will have seen dead or dying spiny , puffer/porcupine fish who also inhabit this 4 to 5 foot depth , often in a not very clever way for their own survival or your well being . The jellyfish that we have only seen once or twice were small with what I remember as stinging a bit and not a screaming pain . One year more than others there were a lot of little bees that had fallen or were swamped in the wet walking zone of the beach , stinging a few people . In deeper water you might see something like this fella .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHvVLctExdQ

I have seen far more Spotted Eagle Rays in Zihua Bay than anywhere else . Maybe 200 , last year .

Cheers

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
155 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jelly Fish

Good insight and much appreciated !

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Zihuatanejo
Level Contributor
3,744 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jelly Fish

Some people only go in the water where there are others. Rays will leave the area if there are a lot of people in the water- they don't like to be stepped on. Shuffling feet is a good idea also, especially if others are not there to disturb the rays. Shuffling lets them know you are coming & they will swim away. I stepped on one once- he was sleeping. It hurts.

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jelly Fish

Water shoes are an especially good idea to avoid getting stung. Also on Las Gatas at the farther end lots of coral mixed into the sand so I always wear mine when walking that end or entering the water.

Get answers to your questions about Zihuatanejo