We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying at La Casa Que Canta in May

Walnut Creek...
Level Contributor
4 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Staying at La Casa Que Canta in May

I may need to don my flame suit for this question; We are going to La Casa Que Canta in May and my wife's Mexican friends have been frightening her, by saying she is crazy going to crime ridden Mexico. I was hoping a few comforting words on this forum may allay her fears. Please help.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,946 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying at La Casa Que Canta in May

No one should flame you, asking about safety and security is a very valid concern these days in Mexico.

Mexico is a big country and there certainly are places I would not travel to that have quite a bit of cartel related violence. However, tourists are not being targeted, it is cartel versus cartel, and often involves police and military and politicians too.

While Zihua is not likely to be regarded as the 'safest' of the Mexican resort areas, being in Guerrero, which has it's share of issues- it is not dangerous for tourists to travel to. Take the same precautions you would in a strange city anywhere-don't wander around drunk, wear flashy clothing or jewelry, wave money around, walk around alone down unfamiliar dark alleys late at night, etc. Common sense will get you through just fine.

We stayed very close to there two winters ago, in a condo above La Ropa- you will love it! Zihua is my #1 Mexico destination, it's a very special place. The people are wonderful, great food, gorgeous scenery in that bay.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,865 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying at La Casa Que Canta in May

LG,

You are more likely to experience Mexican Violence driving over to Oakland than you would in Zihuatanejo.

Have a great trip, and come back and tell us about it!

Keith

Walnut Creek...
Level Contributor
4 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying at La Casa Que Canta in May

Thanks Keith, and you're right about Oakland!

UNITED STATES
Level Contributor
2,906 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying at La Casa Que Canta in May

we went on a chick trip and stayed in a condo and always felt safe.

We used our heads for traveling smart as we would ANY WHERE in the world....Zihua is great.

I feel so confident that I am sooooo close to re-booking for November 2013....

Walnut Creek...
Level Contributor
4 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying at La Casa Que Canta in May

Thanks for all the replies folks, now looking forward to our trip even more!

Geneseo, Illinois
Level Contributor
16 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying at La Casa Que Canta in May

We have traveled to Z several times and have stayed very close to your hotel. All of the previous suggestions and advice is correct and accurate. Each morning while there I run right by your hotel and never had an issue. Leave your jewelry at home and keep iPod etc tucked away. Have a good time and feel free to contact me for other questions, we have traveled to the area over 25 times and most recently in Feb. D

Bonita Springs...
Level Contributor
1,810 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying at La Casa Que Canta in May

If you have a layover in Chicago, then you may want to think twice about going to Zihuatanejo Mexico. Otherwise you should be ok.

Calgary
Level Contributor
8 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying at La Casa Que Canta in May

Hi -

We just got back from our first ever visit to Zihuatanejo - and loved it. The hotel is really gorgeous and the staff there are absolutely wonderful. Our stay at La Casa Que Canta was beautiful and we spent many hours just lounging by the pool, however we felt totally safe leaving the hotel property daily to walk downtown and wander about to experience other restaurants, el centro, etc. As others have said, common sense prevails in Zihua or anywhere there days, right? The most obnoxious people we ran into were not out in the street, but rather a few of the overly entitled, snooty, loud and overly drunk guests at the hotel itself...so go figure...money doesn't buy class! I'd spend time with the everyday hardworking friendly Mexicans we met out on our daily walks any day of the week!

Have a fabulous trip!

henderson
Level Contributor
787 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Staying at La Casa Que Canta in May

well said calgary

10. Re: Staying at La Casa Que Canta in May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 April 2014, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Zihuatanejo