We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time in Zhiuatanejo

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
First time in Zhiuatanejo

My husband, 19 year-old daugher and myself are traveling to Zihuatanejo for the first time this week. We will be there April 27 - May 3rd and will be staying at the Hotel Irma. Any tips or advice you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,815 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time in Zhiuatanejo

1, Don't over pack.

2, Relax.

3, See 1, and 2.

Keith

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Zihuatanejo
Level Contributor
3,808 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time in Zhiuatanejo

Excellent advice. What specifically do you want to know about?

Trail, Canada
Level Contributor
3,433 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time in Zhiuatanejo

Las Gatas for a day , Isla Ixtapa for a day (snorkelling at both) , Walk the boardwalk to the downtown pier sometime on your first full day to get a feel for things , it's not far . Walk or take a cab to La Ropa Beach , early on for vistas of that part of the bay and to see services there , some are night and day and others daytime only . Cabs are very plentiful and very cheap , priced by zone . Barra de Potosi is very nice with a little more effort with cheap public transport . You don't need tours for any of these places . Do a site search for lots of how to info . Playa Palmar in Ixtapa is different again and can easily combine with Playa Linda which is the shoreline terminal to Isla Ixtapa's very inexpensive water taxi . There are tons of good dining and drinking choices at all places . Ixtapa has fewer options because it is predominantly all inclusive but still worth a look and a beach walk with a few beach sitting choices and street dining options on the strip . A small soft sided cooler is very useful for these daytrips . Cheers

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time in Zhiuatanejo

You are within walking distance to many many good restaurants! You can't go wrong with nearly any that you stumble across. Drink lots and lots of water -- especially if you start feeling punk. It may not be the food, you might be dehydrated. The heat and humidity will be intense during the day. Cover up with sunscreen and light clothing. Enjoy!

UNITED STATES
Level Contributor
2,877 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time in Zhiuatanejo

scroll back a few pages on the HOTEL Irma review...I posted there spring 2012...you will find a wealth of info there...and also to clarify my mistype on that page...NO one in our group of four got sick. If you can't find the review click on my profile and it should be listed there.

Go and have a ball. Zihua is just great! Make some wonderful memories and don't forget to post here and share with us upon return. ENJOY!

6. Re: First time in Zhiuatanejo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 January 2015, 13:06
Dallas, Tx
Destination Expert
for Zihuatanejo
Level Contributor
1,542 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time in Zhiuatanejo

Lot's of good information located on the right hand side of this page under "Top Questions".

Bonita Springs...
Level Contributor
1,770 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time in Zhiuatanejo

Yup, what Gary said

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time in Zhiuatanejo

Thank you all for the advice. Based on jttu812's post it appears this is the end of the season and less crowded? Is it very humid this time of year?

My husband is concerned about narco-crime but from what I can tell there is none of that in Zhiuatanejo.

My goal is to relax by the water and do little else. We like to take a historical tour at least one day of our vacation.

10. Re: First time in Zhiuatanejo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 January 2015, 13:06
Get answers to your questions about Zihuatanejo