We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

For you Frontier Airline fans...Be aware...

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
10,893 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
For you Frontier Airline fans...Be aware...

Better read this article...and book carefully for next winter when the airline fares come out on Frontier...it could sure hurt your pocketbook big time...

Denver-based Frontier Airlines announced Wednesday it would begin charging passengers who book tickets on third-party web sites -- such as Expedia and Orbitz -- for bringing their bags onboard the flight. Passengers who purchase tickets on Frontier's web site will incur no additional charge for a carry-on bag.

The cost of a carry-on for passengers booking on third-party sites is $25 - $100. The fees will go into effect this summer, the carrier said, with the date to be announced soon.

…yahoo.com/frontier-airlines-charge-customer…

Edited: 03 May 2013, 06:09
Bonita Springs...
Level Contributor
1,754 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: For you Frontier Airline fans...Be aware...

We used to love the "old" Frontier Airlines but Republic has just about killed them and the last minute booking penalty of $100 carry-on fee isn't going to help. They claim that overhead space is becoming a problem and these extra fees will help discourage that.

Overhead space is a problem on all airlines and will only get worse until they start enforcing the size of carry-ons or encourage travelers to check them like Southwest does by dropping the fee, at least the first one. People in general (my wife included) pack way too much stuff. Maybe they all need to do what Spirit does, if it doesn't fit in your foot space, you pay for it to go into the overhead.

This whole "overhead storage" circus has really slowed down the boarding process too, but it gives us early boarders some entertainment while it happens.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,793 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: For you Frontier Airline fans...Be aware...

I'm with Ted on this.

If you can't check your bag, and you inconvenience everyone else with your selfishness, then you can damned well Pay For It.

JMO

Keith

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,893 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: For you Frontier Airline fans...Be aware...

Didn't you miss the point of the article Ted?? ...it is a third party booking site where they are charging the high fees...Frontier is wanting you to book with them directly...and not thru Expedia and Orbitz.

They kicked the travel agents to the curb...and now they are trying to get rid of third party sites so they don't have to pay commission to them.

This speaks to the sure sign of problems at Frontier...needing each and every penny.

Bonita Springs...
Level Contributor
1,754 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: For you Frontier Airline fans...Be aware...

Judy, we read different publication. Here is word for word what was published in the Milwaukee Journal.

"Frontier Airlines plans to start charging up to $100 for a carry-on bag and $2 for coffee or soda, although its announcement on Wednesday did say that passangers will get to keep the whole can. The new carry-on fee is for bags in the overhead bin, so small bags under the seat will still be free. Frontier said it will charge $25 if the fee is paid in advance, $100 if travelers wait to pay until they're at the gate. Frontier spokeswoman Kate O'Malley said the $100 fee is to get travelers to take care of charges in advance. O'malley said the new charge is not really about raising money. It's about Frontier's most loyal customers making it very clear that

finding overhead bin space has become increasingly difficult. Passengers who buy their tickets on the airlines's website won't have to pay."

Now I would assume that if I had you do my travel plans, you would buy my ticket using the "airline's website", and I would not have to worry about the above mentioned fees. So whether you do it or I do it, we have no problem. As for Expedia, Orbitz or any other site getting cut out of the loop, I have no problem with that if it keeps my ticket prices lower.

In fact, if I book with you and don't intend on having a carry-on, then show up with one when I check in, based on the article above, it'll cost me $100 whether I book with you, myself or Orbitz.

winneconne,wi
Level Contributor
285 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: For you Frontier Airline fans...Be aware...

Hey Ted,

You really need to go back and read the story in the Milwaukee Journal. This time please put on your glasses first. Judy was correct.

Bonita Springs...
Level Contributor
1,754 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: For you Frontier Airline fans...Be aware...

Read it?????? I just posted it word for word! What part are you confused with?

Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,793 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: For you Frontier Airline fans...Be aware...

" All customers are allowed one free personal item, such as a briefcase or purse, for free. The personal item must fit in under the seat."

Doesn't say that it must be stowed there, just that it must fit there.

"The move to charge passengers for carry-on bags mimics that of Spirit Airlines, previously the only domestic carrier to charge for carry-on bags. The carrier also charges between $25 and $100 for a carry-on; however, the charge extends to all passengers regardless of where the ticket is booked."

So this really isn't new in the EconoLine industry.

"Frontier's most loyal customers have made it very clear that finding overhead bin space for carry-on bags has become unacceptably difficult. In response, Frontier will be introducing a charge for carry-on bags for customers buying Basic fares through third party sites," the carrier said."

The key fare here is BASIC (whichever "class" that is) If the fare is not BASIC then I would assume that other rules still apply.

As this is in response to complaints I don't have an issue with it.

Our last flight going to ZIH on Delta I had upgraded us to Business/First with air miles. Boarding the plane there was one of THOSE in front of us. He drags his worldly goods on board, hoists them up into the overhead above our seats, and then continues on down the aisle to sit in Coach.

I dragged his crap out of the overhead and set it in the aisle and placed our carry-ons in the bin, while calling him back to get his crap. The bag was big enough to block the aisle and no one else could board without climbing over it.

As he came back all huffy and cursing me out the flight attendant asked him if he wanted to continue his flight or if he would care to deplane. Since he was still quite surly about the event she stuck it to him further and told him is bag was oversize and would need to be gate-checked. That really sent his color into the Red Zone. He shut up and sat down. I guess he finally figure out his next stop was going to be visiting with the Security folks.

I am all about enjoying seeing JERKS get their comeuppance.

Keith

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
258 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: For you Frontier Airline fans...Be aware...

Let it be known from this day forward. I am a member of the "I (heart) Keith" fanclub.

I must truly be a cliche Canadian as I never even thought about storing anything in the overhead that is NOT over my seat. Not once. I carry a soft sided overnighter and store it under the seat in front of me only, I don't use the overhead as it can be a zoo getting stuff in and out at times. Cheers on you Keith.

Re: Frontier - I do like the idea of THOSE people being taught a lesson, but for those that just make an honest mistake and then pay $100 at the gate? That would not make me happy. And believe me, if I had to pay $100 to use the overhead bin there better be a reserved spot for me and the rest of you better move your stuff outta my way! ;-)

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,893 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: For you Frontier Airline fans...Be aware...

Here is the latest info that I just received on Frontier...

Upcoming Policy Changes

Beginning in the summer of 2013, we are making changes that will allow us to continue offering low fares while improving the travel experience for our most loyal customers who book through FlyFrontier.com. Please see the details on these upcoming changes noted below.

Carry-on Baggage

As a customer who books your tickets directly on FlyFrontier.com, you will continue to receive a free carry-on bag in the overhead bin. Our customers have told us that finding overhead bin space for carry-on bags has become increasingly difficult, so we will be introducing a fee for carry-on bags for customers who buy Basic fares through third-party websites starting this summer. When these changes have been made, you’ll find more space in the overhead bins for your bags.

Checked Bags

When you buy a Classic or Classic Plus ticket, you will continue to receive two free checked bags, regardless of where you booked. For Basic and Economy tickets booked on or after June 1, 2013 for travel on or after July 11, 2013, the fee to check a first bag will remain $20 when purchased during online check-in at FlyFrontier.com. However, the fee will increase to $25 when purchased at airport check-in. Second bag fees for Economy and Basic bags remain unchanged at $20.

Onboard Beverages

Onboard beverages will continue to be free for customers who purchase Classic and Classic Plus fares, when you show your boarding pass to a flight attendant. Effective July 1, 2013, customers who purchase Economy or Basic fares will be charged $1.99 for coffee, tea, soda and juice. All customers will now receive a full can of soda or juice and customers choosing coffee will be offered free refills. In addition, we will be making improvements to our beverage selection, including introducing a premium tea brand and Boyer's coffee, a premium Colorado brand.

EarlyReturns® Mileage Earnings for Base Members

All EarlyReturns members who book on FlyFrontier.com will continue to earn a minimum of 100% of their miles flown. Beginning July 1, 2013, we will change the mileage accrual rate for customers who purchase a Basic fare on a third-party website from 50% to 25% of miles flown. Economy, Classic and Classic Plus ticket holders will continue to receive 100%, 125% and 150% of miles flown, respectively — another reason to always book your travel at FlyFrontier.com.

We strive to offer the best services for our customers and want to make sure that when you book directly with us at FlyFrontier.com, you receive the best benefits we offer.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: For you Frontier Airline fans...Be aware...

Who are "THOSE" people? People that try and save money by carrying on? Why would you not carry the biggest bag you had if they let you take it on and it fit? Your gonna blame that guy because through all of the checks in the airport to get that bag to the gate, no one told him it was too big.

If you would have boarded when you were supposed to, like your "business ticket" allowed, then you would not have had any problem getting "your" bin space, because you would have boarded before him. I fly routinely throughout the US for work and never have I ever even heard of an unspoken rule that you get the overhead bin above your seat. It is strictly on a first come, first serve basis. Did you get the benefit of the doubt in that situation, of course, you had the expensive seat, the flight attendant did exactly what she should have to diffuse that situation quickly.

It seems like the JERK thing to do would be grabbing someone else's sh*t, and putting it in the middle of the aisle where everyone needs to pass, all because you didn't get what you wanted or what you thought was yours.