We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Abbreviated Trip Report - late April

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
31 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Abbreviated Trip Report - late April

First and foremost I want to thoroughly thank everyone who contributes to the numerous questions and requests for help on these forums and to those who take the time to write informative and interesting reviews!!! I scoured this forum for months leading up to our trip to Zihua and it definitely helped. And YES! my husband and I both loved it!

Since it was our first trip we did what was probably the typical first visitor things so I won't go into excruciating details but just hit the highlights.

Hired Ulises (www.ketavi.com) to pick us up at the airport. He was there as planned holding a sign with my name on it. Nice way to start the trip. I highly recommend him.

We stayed at Villa Vera Puerto Mio through an RCI trade. It was perfect for us ... short walk to town (about a mile to the bridge), courteous staff, restaurant, bar, beautiful views. Very enjoyable.

We hit all the beaches in Zihua and made a day trip to Playa Coral at Isla Ixtapa. All were beautiful and interesting in their own ways. Our favorite was Playa las Gatas.

Spent several afternoons and a couple evenings at Coca Bahias as it was on the way to/from our resort. Great guacamole and the best coconut shrimp I had all week and I had it alot! Across the street from them is a restaurant I hadn't heard about before, Casa Bahia ... beautiful views, great food, and wonderful service. Went to many of the restaurants mentioned on this forum and none disappointed.

We tried snorkeling twice, once at Playa Coral/Isla Ixtapa and once at Playa las Gatas. Not good either day. The Picante canceled the day trip to Manzanillo Beach so we didn't get to try there. Probably wouldn't even bother taking our snorkel gear next time.

We've been on many vacations in Mexico on both the east and west coasts and Zihuatanejo is close to a tie with Cabo as our favorite!

Edited: 12 May 2013, 23:15
Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Zihuatanejo
Level Contributor
3,825 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Abbreviated Trip Report - late April

So glad you enjoyed your visit to Zihua. Thank you for taking the time to share some of your experiences and comments. Hope you will consider a return visit in the future.

UNITED STATES
Level Contributor
2,905 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Abbreviated Trip Report - late April

yayyy!! welcome back!

Thanks for your info! Makes me look forward to my trip there in November ....

Did you do the Mercardo? Did you go early to see the fishermen and their catch.

We too love utilizing Ullises for taxi and tour services. Good call!

I haven't heard of your property yet but will google it as soon as I finish typing!

cheers!! welcome back!

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Abbreviated Trip Report - late April

Nice Report. I agree on the snorkeling. I stopped bringing my gear some years ago.

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Abbreviated Trip Report - late April

WE did the Picante snorkel trip and the water was pretty churned up the day we went. You most likely didn't miss much but overall, the excursion was very fun because we saw whales, swam off the back of the boat and enjoyed seeing the coast. So I'd recommend it for the future.

Bonita Springs...
Level Contributor
1,809 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Abbreviated Trip Report - late April

After 25 years we continue to bring our own snorkel equipment. Just something about not wanting to us a mouthpiece that was used by who knows who and where their mouth was last.

In addition, we have found that the coral out at Ixtapa Island continues to grow and looks healthier every year. The change in the coral formations from year to year make each year a new experience. If you had bad conditions out at Ixtapa Island, it may have been time of year, time of day, direction of wind, amount of current or any combination of the above.

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Zihuatanejo
Level Contributor
3,825 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Abbreviated Trip Report - late April

I agree- not to give up on the snorkelling. It's just that Mother Nature doesn't always do what we would prefer. Manzanillo is great for snorkelling- I encourage you to try again.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,946 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Abbreviated Trip Report - late April

Great to hear you loved it!

We are avid snorkelers and also dive when we can....I agree in comparison to other places the snorkeling is not great. But I think that is a positive- if Zihua ALSO had great snorkeling, it would be utterly perfect as a vacation spot, and get way too crowded! ;)

Colgate, WI
Level Contributor
112 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Abbreviated Trip Report - late April

seakat glad you enjoyed Villa Vera and that you stopped at the little restaurant on the way down the hill. I'm happy to hear Casa Bahia has reopened, it was closed for a while. Now we'll have to go bacvk!

Kearney, Nebraska
Level Contributor
54 posts
616 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Abbreviated Trip Report - late April

Enjoyed your report- Especially as we are headed there soon and staying at the same resort. Thanks

henderson
Level Contributor
787 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Abbreviated Trip Report - late April

welcome back....keep the infp coming. Always interesting and fun to hear the fun info from first timers.

Get answers to your questions about Zihuatanejo