We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo Female traveller

New York City, New...
4 posts
Save Topic
Solo Female traveller

Hi, I'm looking to go to Zihua in October maybe? I've been to Mexico, but never the Pacific and I'm looking for something tranquil and on the beach, but with a few things to do/see close by. Since I'll be alone I'll need to keep my brain occupied! Someplace clean and safe and mid-price. Thanks!

Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,902 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo Female traveller

Hi D!

You need to let folks know what you are looking for.

Condo, Hotel. etc etc.

What you expect out of same.

All inclusive or not. (there are no AI's in Zihuatanejo, they are all in Ixtapa)

Keith

New York City, New...
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo Female traveller

Thanks for the tip, Keith! Hotel for sure, Don't need all inclusive, I'd like to visit a few decent restaurants. Close to/on the Beach, but with a pool. Maybe a spa? More than anything I want to go someplace where I won't feel like I have ten heads cuz I'm on my own..

-Jess

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
972 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Solo Female traveller

Check out the Hotel Irma in Zihua. It has pool, spa, restaurant and wonderful ocean views. The Madera area is a short and, in my opinion, well lit walk into town. It is very near many places to eat. Its on the beach,down a big flight of stairs and Whilst doesn't have its own dedicated beach seating area its easy to spread out a towel or use a chair at one of the beach restaurants. I've not stayed there solo, but I'd do it in a heartbeat. Almost did, but then met a fella and now have to travel with him ;-)

Happy planning!!

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
316 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Solo Female traveller

Visited solo many times and had lots of fun making new friends at my hotel or at the beach. Try Aura del Mar (formerly Brisas del Mar) or Villa Mexicana. Both have lounge chair areas on the beach that invite chatting with your neighbors. Aura del Mar is above Playa Madera and a quick walk to downtown and Villa Mexicana is a 50 cent bus ride or a longish hot walk (I am a wimp) to town. Taxis are cheap and plentiful and safe and advised for you after dark.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,902 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Solo Female traveller

U Bet Jess!

I just went down the end of May for a week Solo!

Don't even tickle yourself about it! You'll have a great time!

Hotel on the beach in Zihua pretty much means Villa Mexicana to my wallet !!

I/we stay at Las Brisas over the hill in Ixtapa because we both like the view, and the quieter beach, since we always have our noses in books lol!

If we can answer any questions, then please post them!!

Keith

henderson
Level Contributor
787 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Solo Female traveller

Many great choices here to choose from...

RIGHT ONNNN the beach (LaRopa) would be Villa Mexicana. Feet in the sand dining right next door at a variety of places all very reasonable. Hang out at Elvira's and Moses will take GREAT care of you.

View of the bay above Madera beach and lots of really good dining choices nearby and a short walk to town....hotel irma. 80 ish steps down to the beach.

very safe....use your head/smarts. go have a good time.

WISCONSIN..U.S.A
Level Contributor
498 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Solo Female traveller

HI..I stay in Ixtapa for the beach..5:30am got my bubba cup full of coffee and am on the beach walking my 2 miles..Ixtapa beach is a long streatch where Ziho is like a cove..smaller town but good food and shopping..go to Ziho 3 out of 7 days and the first time you take a bus it is so much fun into town..check-out the Posada Real..Ixtapa..small great pool on the beach..cabs and busses are cheap in both cities..am 71 and have been there 3 out of 5 times by myself and NO saftey problems..best thing to do at 9:30 pm is to walk to town at 75* and get my icecream and people watch...LOL..

Bonita Springs...
Level Contributor
1,861 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Solo Female traveller

You got it EK. With the exception of one or two years out of the last 25, we live in a swim suit or shorts from early a.m. until its time to change for dinner. Counting up and back, I must have about 400 mile logged on the beach in Ixtapa.

New York City, New...
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Solo Female traveller

Thanks for the tips, guys! I may do as EK suggested and spend a couple of days in Ixtapa as well..

New York City, New...
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Solo Female traveller

Oh, hey, how is Ixtapa/Zihua with US dollars? How much should I bother to exchange? Or is it a Cancun situation where I needn't bother with getting too many pesos?

Get answers to your questions about Zihuatanejo