We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hang my hat in Zihuatanejo?

Springfield...
3 posts
Save Topic
Hang my hat in Zihuatanejo?

Could a frugal old guy live there on 1000.00 a mouth including rental? I also would like to know visa requirements for long stays? I tried Pedasi, Panama but found it a little to primitive. Thanks for any help!

Minnesota
Level Contributor
6,137 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hang my hat in Zihuatanejo?

I think that is about 30% short.

But that's just me.

180 days on a tourist card max I believe.

Linda will probably drop by and give you the REAL information.

Keith

2. Re: Hang my hat in Zihuatanejo?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 January 2015, 13:08
Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hang my hat in Zihuatanejo?

Last time I checked it required about $1,600 a month to qualify for resident status & I believe it has gone up since. You could get by on a $1,000 a month IF you do not indulge in Alcoholic beverages. If you do forget it. Can not be done.

I know of a nice apartment with AC, Cable, Kitchenette & separate bedroom for $4,000 pesos a month. Safe & Secure near El Central in a Blue collar area. That would leave $700 US a month for food, transportation, meds etc. Tough but doable. You can eat in Pozole Alley, the many "Economical s, Papa Loca & the stands in the Mercado for under $10 per day for 3 meal. Unfortunately Groceries at the box stores run about the same as the San Francisco bay area

If you wish to know more let me know.

PS One exception to the minimum income requirement is if you have a fat bank account or other assets.

Edited: 12 July 2013, 23:44
Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Zihuatanejo
Level Contributor
4,035 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hang my hat in Zihuatanejo?

There are new immigration laws as of last season. You may stay for 180 on a tourist card. After 180 days you MUST be out of the country. You can turn around and re-enter if you wish, for another 180 days. To stay for a year, you would have to qualify for what is now called "temporary resident". You can buy this permit for a year, 2 years, 3 years, or 5 years. It is renewable at whatever interval you purchase. You can no longer get your 1st temp. resident permit in Mexico. You must apply for it at the nearest Mexican consulate to where you live. There are income requirements that you must meet. After you have the temporary resident status for 4 (or maybe 5) years, you can apply for permanent resident status which allows you to stay permanently with no further renewal needed. Beyond that, you could apply for citizenship if you wanted. You can see really good info about all these new regulations at a site called "yucalandia.com"

I would strongly recommend that you come for 5-6 months to try it out and see if this is where you want to be.

Edited: 13 July 2013, 16:21
Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hang my hat in Zihuatanejo?

Thanks Linda. I knew there had been significant chances in the past year or so but have not kept up on it as I have come to realize 4 months in Mexico each year is ideal for me. That along with my 4 in the Trinity Alps & 4 in The SF Bay area.

If we are lucky we all find the perfect balance in retirement. So glad both of us have found ours.

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Zihuatanejo
Level Contributor
4,035 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hang my hat in Zihuatanejo?

Agree- we have much to be thankful for.

UNITED STATES
Level Contributor
3,166 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hang my hat in Zihuatanejo?

That's me "someday..."....like just about 18 years or so UNLESS I win the lotto first!! whoot whoot

Chicago
Level Contributor
206 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hang my hat in Zihuatanejo?

Only 2 more years for me,then winters in Ixtapa.Seems like a long way off though.

Airdrie, Canada
Level Contributor
909 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hang my hat in Zihuatanejo?

I just retired but have to wait for my hubbie to pull the plug. We are going in November for a month but hopefully we can someday spend at least 3 - 4 months per year. Dream on!

UNITED STATES
Level Contributor
3,166 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hang my hat in Zihuatanejo?

lol Purses...umm...that didn't quite come out right...maybe add "pull the plug on WORK" at the end of that sentence. I hate to think that you are waiting on an inheritance...LOL!

I'd take a month for now...good for you. I'm looking at 2 weeks this year.