We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Time share

Which Zihuatanejo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
1,660 posts
Save Topic
Time share

This is our first trip to Zihuatanejo, and we are excited to experience a new Mexican destination. We have been to most of the major Mexican west coast tourist towns and some, like Cabo, Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta are ripe with those annoying sharks. Maz was hands down the worst, P.V. not far behind. I have been lurking on this forum for some time and the problem doesn't seem to come up that much. I can take them on the street, but when they attack you in their sneaky way in restaurants, grocery stores, and when you are relaxing on the beach, that crosses the line for me. So! Are they around town, lurking on street corners, or not much of a problem? Thank you!

meridian idaho
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Time share

i have been there twice and am going again in March. I don't recall ever being approched by time share salesmen. it was quite nice not to have to deal with that.

UNITED STATES
Level Contributor
2,794 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Time share

In zihua I have not encountered them very much at all...at the airport....keep waking thru the shark tank until you get into your taxi or shuttle. They will hound you as soon as you walk out of customs. We say a "no gracias and KEEEPPP WALKING"....as we do in any airport.

Have fun on your first trip. Don't forget to post your experience up on your return. Can't wait to hear all about it.

Cheers.

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Time share

Nothing like the fore mention places. Legally they are not allowed to approach you in Zihua. It's happen once in dozens of trips to myself when a gal jumped out of a car "inviting" us to a party. We told her we would love to come but of course never showed.

Bandidos had a table set up one season with a time share guy. Guess lots of complaints as it did not last long.

A few at the airport but as I said minimal compared to PV. They may try to engage you in conversation offering cheap round trip airport transportation & a "free" tour during your stay. Best just to ignore them.

In Ixtapa they are suppose to stay in their clearly marked Kiosks along the main street. When you walk along they call out "Hey Amigo Where you from" I always reply "Zihuatanejo". Some laugh, some scowl but by then I'm pass them

Edited: 11 September 2013, 18:33
Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,681 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Time share

As others have said, the airport shoals are full of the sharks.

Also depends on what hotel that you are staying at.

Sunscape Dorado has them outside of both elevator banks.

Azul Ixtapa has them wandering the property.

Pacifica resort has them as well.

Keith

Edited: 11 September 2013, 18:37
Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Time share

Keith

The OP stated they are going to Zihuatanejo so I presume Ixtapa hotels not a problem.

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
1,660 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Time share

That is great to hear. I had the feeling that they are not an issue in Zihua. Thanks for the heads ups. I'm sure the airport will be a breeze. I know many folks have been sucked in as they arrive all wide eyed and excited. Into a cab and off to our hotel for us!

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
920 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Time share

And... The airport sharks are NOTHING like the intrusive mobs you find in the Maz or PV airports.

Its a great place.. You'll love it and likely become hooked like the rest of us!

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
1,580 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Time share

While some are from other cities, many are local sales people. That being said, as others have stated, a simple smile and a "no gracias" will usually do. Having a background in sales, I do not find them intimidating or overly pushy. They get a "bird dog fee" if they can get you to commit to sitting through a presentation. Through the years I have found them to be a great source of information as I've always found them friendly and willing to share info even if there is nothing in it for them. I'm humored by those who feel that they're not going to be able to say "no" should they exchange looks or acknowledge them.

Simply explain that your vacation time is valuable to you and that you do not want to waste 90-120 minutes of that time when you can be laying on the beach. In addition, they need to go talk to someone else who may be a real prospect because you're certainly not. It's a numbers game and they are used to rejection. But they're real people just trying to make a living, so be polite in your rejection.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
450 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Time share

Well said Ted.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,280 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Time share

In the five weeks we spent total vacationing in Zihua so far, we have been approached by timeshare sharks in town only once. And he was very friendly and easily scared off, very gracious- unlike the sharks we have encountered in Cabo and PV.

There is a very mild 'tank' you walk past at the airport...easy peasy.

Our last trip we did go to Ixtapa one day and I found them a bit annoying there. I think because we were 'fresh meat' and they tend to pounce a bit harder when they see newbies. Still, they were fairly unobtrusive and easily let down.