We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety Concerns about Zihuatanajo.

Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Safety Concerns about Zihuatanajo.

I just booked a trip to Zihuatanajo and I'm thinking of cancelling now due to safety concerns. Will I be a victim of gunfire, kidnapping, etc? A little concerned. Any comments or experience here??

Phoenix, Arizona
12 posts
Save Reply
21. Re: Safety Concerns about Zihuatanajo.

Some of our friends and family question why we'd go there too, you're not alone. They are typically the ones who have never visited Mexico. We too have never seen any kind violence while visiting, we've been visiting Mexico off and on since the early 90's.

mjallison, great post and your first one too! Couldn't have said it better.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
12,012 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Safety Concerns about Zihuatanajo.

Just to add to all the positive comments. We've been going to La Barra de Potosi for about 2 weeks each January for the past 10 years. We usually spend a couple of nights in Zihua as well and we also visit Patzcuaro and Morelia and have made dear Mexican friends in those cities. Each year we bring 1 or 2 other couples along...and each year some of their family are concerned about " danger" . ..yet we 've never felt the least bit worried for our safety. We'd hardly keep returning if we didn't feel safe, especially as we're seniors and can 't run as fast anymore :). Hopefully you will end up coming back more than once and enjoying the wonderful food, beautiful surroundings and welcoming helpful folks in "Z".

Yes there have been some horrific drug related incidents in Guerrero and Michoacan but they are drug related not tourist focused. Enjoy. I just booked our flights for next January yesterday :)

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,953 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Safety Concerns about Zihuatanajo.

Great first post by mjallison...thank you!

Chicago, Illinois
1 post
Save Reply
24. Re: Safety Concerns about Zihuatanajo.

I have been going to Zihua for the past 12 years, usully in January. I have never heard gunfire nor been kidnapped. I feel safer there than I do in Chicago, where I live. It is a beautiful, peaceful place.

25. Re: Safety Concerns about Zihuatanajo.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2014, 04:19
Get answers to your questions about Zihuatanejo
Recent Conversations