We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach condition now

Mankato, Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,776 posts
103 reviews
Save Topic
Beach condition now

I read that high tide was completely covering the beach the end of October, did the beach was away? It was a problem for us over in the Cancun/Playa del Carmen area that we don't want to repeat.

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Zihuatanejo
Level Contributor
3,806 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach condition now

The beaches here are just fine and as they always are. Was in the ocean yesterday. Water is warm. Yes there were 2 big storms in October and the water came quite high. There is no long term effect here in Zihua. In some areas that are not in a bay as we are, the open ocean is still very high.

Mankato, Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,776 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach condition now

Thanks for the info I guess that's what I assumed since no one was posting anything different. It is a relief though. Now I'm going to start finding fun things to do.

Nicollet, Minnesota
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach condition now

Linda - can you send out some pics of the beaches in Zihua? Are you staying there or just returned? Where did you stay, what would you recommend for places that have terrific beaches?

Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach condition now

Just look at the webcams

www.webcamsdemexico.com/webcam-ixtapa.html

Keith

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Zihuatanejo
Level Contributor
3,806 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach condition now

Sue..I live here 9-10 months of the year, and yes I am here now. Where and how would I send pics? There is no way to do that here on the forum.

All the beaches here are great. The main two in Zihua are La Madera and La Ropa. Also in the bay is playa Las Gatas, but you have to take a water taxi to get there, or hike the trail (includes some climbing over rocks) at the south end of La Ropa. There are other nearby beaches to visit, like Troncones and Barra de Potosi which runs into Playa Blanca, the Playa Larga. You can visit any of them for a day, or stay at most as well.

What else would you like to know? Ask you questions and people who frequent trip advisor here will try to give you answers.

Mankato, Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,776 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beach condition now

The webcam has a great pix of Ixtapa beach, but Zihuatanejo is a picture of the whole bay. Really picturesque, but not a good example of la ropa or la madera beach condition. When I checked the reviews for a current review with pictures (no luck), I was thrilled to see it was rated #5 in the top 10 beaches in Mexico.

Anyone want to post a review with a picture?

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Zihuatanejo
Level Contributor
3,806 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beach condition now

how do we post a picture? I don't recall ever seeing a photo on this forum.

Mankato, Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,776 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beach condition now

I haven't ever seen a picture on any TA forum either, just links etc. So I thought maybe a new review of Playa La Ropa and add a picture to it.

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Zihuatanejo
Level Contributor
3,806 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beach condition now

oh I guess that would work. However, I just checked and there are already 28 photos of La Ropa- honest- it doesn't look any different today. I will try to post a couple of recent photos, but as I said, it really doesn't look any different.

Mankato, Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,776 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beach condition now

Meant wash away in the original post, by the way.

I learned about the TA forum (1500 posts ago), the year we went to Playa del Carmen with no beach due to the hurricane, but before the restoration.

I apologize for our tenacity, but a picture is worth a thousand word they say. Right now we are looking at either Zihuatanejo or Puerto Rico and the beach condition of the location is the deciding factor. On that note looks like we want Villa Mexicana and we'll walk into town as needed. Toes in the sand is higher on the list, along with wonderful weather for Jan. It'll take us a while to thaw out.

Get answers to your questions about Zihuatanejo