We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mid/Late Jan visit-Swimming,Budget accomodations,atmosphere

Oregon
Level Contributor
378 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Mid/Late Jan visit-Swimming,Budget accomodations,atmosphere

May be heading that way and would like to know how the water is for swimming and floating around close to town. I see there have been various posts on beaches close by I am reading just hoping to wake up and go for a swim and then do excursions to better beaches if need be. Just was in Tulum late October and the water was too rough and way too windy on the beach to enjoy(Playa Del Carmen and Isla Mujeres were great though a short drive away). I am an intermediate swimmer and can make it past smaller breaks although I got slammed pretty hard this last trip! Boo...lost my prescription sunglasses when kissing the sand!. Also, looking for budget accommodations in town with great energy and pulse with an easy stroll to beach. Around $75. Would be great is coffee was available in the morning and perhaps a communal terrace for sunsets...nearby cocktails/happy hours or onsite a plus. What do you love about Zihua?

Oregon
Level Contributor
378 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Mid/Late Jan visit-Swimming,Budget accomodations,atmosphere

Riss...Any condos you prefer?

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,805 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Mid/Late Jan visit-Swimming,Budget accomodations,atmosphere

We have stayed in the Casa Que ve el Mar complex twice now and have booked our third stay there for December. Here is the one-bedroom we stayed in last trip, it was great:

http://www.vrbo.com/283625

(We are also booked in it again for December.)

I have heard Los Mangos (?) is a good complex, also La Ropa but I think it's right ON the beach- Casa Que ve el Mar is across the road on the side of the mountain, so great views, but stairs/steep walk up and down.

Other posters will be able to recommend other places.

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Zihuatanejo
Level Contributor
3,808 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Mid/Late Jan visit-Swimming,Budget accomodations,atmosphere

Los Mangos is not ON the beach- it is across the street from the restaurant La Perla, which is ON the beach. No views- but no stairs or hills either- only steps from the beach with the best view you can have. You can't have everything, so isn't it great that we have so many wonderful choices?

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,805 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Mid/Late Jan visit-Swimming,Budget accomodations,atmosphere

Thanks, Linda!

It does look like a nice little complex. Nice quiet location. You can't have it all, that is true.

Geyserville...
Level Contributor
39 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Mid/Late Jan visit-Swimming,Budget accomodations,atmosphere

Wife and I went on our honeymoon to Zihua. 2 weeks stay on playa la ropa! It was awesome. We met a cab driver and he took us on several short trips to town. He added on one of our trips that he would love to be our tour guide one day and take us somewhere amazing. Our minds went a couple different directions. We asked the front desk guys at our hotel if they knew about him and they said he was a very nice man and yes it would be safe to go with him. So we did!!! A little risky right? Let me tell you, it was amazing and we are glad we let him take us around. The destination, Barra di Portosi! He had claimed his family owned a small restaurant in Barra di Portosi and sure enough, they did! We were the only people there! Only because it was low season and the Barra is only populated by Mexicans on the weekends is what they told us. They went out and caught us fish and shrimp, made fresh guacamole for us and let us chill on the beach and sit in the hammocks. Then he took us back to our hotel. It was quite a little adventure and hecka fun! We stayed at the viceroy which was so nice and the cab drivers was an older gentleman, not too old. Slim build maybe in his late 40s. I'm sorry that I can't remember his name off the top of my head. I have it written somewhere but it slipped my mind!

Go to Barra di Portosi. It is hecka fresh and stay on playa la ropa. Many feet in the sand restaurants and beautiful sunsets.

Oregon
Level Contributor
378 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Mid/Late Jan visit-Swimming,Budget accomodations,atmosphere

That sounds like a dream excursion MM! I am still leaning towards Aura since talking with them and emailed they have been outstanding. Another reason is husband and I are a bit stimuli bound so like the idea of walking out straight to town in the evenings. We also like privacy big time to walk around however and the decks seem so. Seems they have all different sized rooms so trying to figure out one to request based on "room recommendations"-Highest rooms have Jacuzzis so looks like we will opt for those...

BC
Level Contributor
4,260 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Mid/Late Jan visit-Swimming,Budget accomodations,atmosphere

When I booked Aura del Mar for my January visit, I requested a high room, but not a jacuzzi. We were put into a jacuzzi room, but didn't use it, it did not look comfortable at all. It took up room on the balcony, but we had enough space even so for the hammock, chairs and table.

Oregon
Level Contributor
378 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: Mid/Late Jan visit-Swimming,Budget accomodations,atmosphere

Booked Aura for the first few days...The reservation's Miguel is certainly convincing! Talked me into a top floor Master Suite for the utmost privacy and view.I love the idea of walking into town easily. That being said Viceroy with tax included amounts to the same $180 with their current promo but only pastries and coffee not a hot breakfast(I factor that into the price). So decided to deliberate on that one for the last evening or so...

blaine, mn
Level Contributor
819 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: Mid/Late Jan visit-Swimming,Budget accomodations,atmosphere

Stayed at Aura in Feb '14, booked again for feb '15. Great location, great view, wonderful staff. Too many restaurants within a 1/2 mile radius to count. We were in room 104, just below midway from the lobby to the beach. Pretty private balcony, but could see how a room higher up would be even better.

40. Re: Mid/Late Jan visit-Swimming,Budget accomodations,atmosphere

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Zihuatanejo