We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Caution-Ticks!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
469 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Caution-Ticks!

A word of caution. Last night I was eating dinner at a beach restaurant on La Ropa Beach, feet in the sand and as always wearing my sandals. After dinned I felt a sharp pain in my foot and noticed that a very large tick was in-bedded deep between my toes. I have had many tick bites over the years but this one was particuraly painful. So a word of caution: keep an eye on your feet when you put your feet in the sand for an extended period.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
13,203 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Caution-Ticks!

Thanks for the warning.

I haven't had to do regular tick checks since growing up in the farm!

How did you get him to leave if he was 'imbedded firmly'?? Hot match? ;)

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
469 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Caution-Ticks!

I just pulled it off. As a retired forester from Northern California I have pulled many ticks off when out in the forest.

I would never have guessed that I would get one in Zihuatanejo.

UNITED STATES
Level Contributor
3,020 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Caution-Ticks!

Are you sure it wasn't a crab?? LOL...just kidding...seems to be alot of them along laropa....

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
469 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Caution-Ticks!

I wonder if it is because of the dogs?

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Caution-Ticks!

As a guy who spends 5 months a year in California's Trinity Alps I am familiar with ticks but have never encountered them on a Mexico beach. I suspect as the OP stated they are coming off a stray dog.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
469 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Caution-Ticks!

Just wondering if anyone else has been bitten by a tick on the beach in La Ropa?

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
13,203 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Caution-Ticks!

Spent all day there yesterday, at Elvira's, nary a dog nor a tick in sight!

Well, ok, one well cared for and loved dog, playing fetch with tennis balls, that was it. :)

Wow, the beers might be 35 pesos at Elvira's but the food is great there. Yum, my huge salad mixta hit the spot!

Trail, Canada
Level Contributor
3,622 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Caution-Ticks!

I can't recall seeing a single beach dog in a week on La Ropa last month . There have been many in past years for sure . Still thanks for the warning Latitude 38 as I wouldn't have thought of this particulr biting beast .

There used to be an ugly little dog that lived at the Rossy restaurant that liked me a lot more than I liked it but it was always calm , except when the sailors from town came by in uniform on patrol . It truly hated those guys and let them know it in both directions .

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
469 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Caution-Ticks!

Dogs are not the only carriers. There are many nocturnal creatures including many rodents and small animals that carry ticks, although dogs and deer are common culprits. So to date, am I the only misfortunate victim?

vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
4,681 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Caution-Ticks!

I must say I just learned something new because ignorant that I am, I have always thought ticks like to stay on tree leaves so when we go hiking or into the woods, we were always told to wear a hat and long sleeves as these nasty suckers drop on us which give us lime disease. i never knew ticks lived in sand…good to know for sure. ; )

Get answers to your questions about Zihuatanejo