We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Abandoned resort at Las Gatas

Which Zihuatanejo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
452 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Abandoned resort at Las Gatas

Does anyone know the history of the abandoned "resort" on the point at the far end of Playa Las Gatas? On one of the structures, probably the main lodge, there is a sign that states it was established in 1968 and on another structure it says Hotel California. To me it looks like it could be an old "hippie" type resort, a place to meditate etc. Perhaps Keith Richards even went there?

Next time your at Playa Las Gatas, check it out. I got some great pictures.

winneconne,wi
Level Contributor
281 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Abandoned resort at Las Gatas

Owen's place.

winneconne,wi
Level Contributor
281 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Abandoned resort at Las Gatas

For more information google Owen Lee.

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Abandoned resort at Las Gatas

Owen was a member of Jacque Cousteau's dive team on the Calypso many years ago & was a lecturer on his experiences who I first met in the late sixties at Wartburg College in Waverly, Iowa.

Owen ran his "Eco" resort long before that term was in popular use.

He recently suffered a stroke & has been in Rehab in the US. Owen is well up in his 80's, but is doing well according to his dear friend Charo.

You might try to get a copy of his book "Prisoner in Paradise" a most interesting read.

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Abandoned resort at Las Gatas

http://www.owenlee.name/

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
845 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Abandoned resort at Las Gatas

We loved walking through the grounds and it was a hippie place. So sorry to hear about the owner and wish him well. Will the resort re open? Really is a great spot.

Burlington
Level Contributor
274 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Abandoned resort at Las Gatas

Wow this is the best travel forum post Ive ever seen - will be visiting in January wish Owen was still there but wish him a speedy recovery and will enjoy walking his beach.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,531 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Abandoned resort at Las Gatas

Owen's place is one example of many things that make Zihua such a cool and unique place.

Another is the Parthenon!

We are looking forward to showing the 'ruins' of both places to my sister in law and her husband on our upcoming trip. (2 more sleeps!)

Trail, Canada
Level Contributor
3,392 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Abandoned resort at Las Gatas

Rissask , There was a LOT of earthmoving going on surrounding and below the parthenon in November . The word was that Naval housing , of all the least likely uses for that expensive land , was being built there and I'm not so sure about tours in the future .

Owens reef , at Las Gatas , is maturing nicely and will be his legacy and a great source of pride I'm sure .

Edited: 02 December 2013, 17:47
Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,531 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Abandoned resort at Las Gatas

Interesting about the Partenon. At least we did get to walk around the grounds once, so no need for us to do it again, I suppose. That is kind of odd they would build Naval housing there!

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Zihuatanejo
Level Contributor
3,744 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Abandoned resort at Las Gatas

Construction is going full tilt! There are many opinions about WHAT is being built. I don't want to get caught in the speculations, so my choice to wait and see what it will be there.

Get answers to your questions about Zihuatanejo